• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Toastmasters

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Any Toastmasters Club members here? I've always wanted to work on my public speaking skills, and I found a chapter here that practices both English and Mandarin. I plan to sit in their next meeting, and I was just wondering if there are any members here, and what should I expect if I do decide to join. Thanks guys.

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think there were a few posters in CE who mentioned their lives were changed by joining toastmasters.... Got me interested, took a look at the chapters in HK, (a whole bunch of them here!) and maybe will sit through them sometime!
biggrin.gif

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I've been a member for two years now, it was a decision I had put off for years but when I pulled the trigger I was glad I did. My public speaking skills were okay thanks to b-school and the various presentations I did, but TM got me at the front repeatedly which made the difference in setting my comfort level.

Now, there's a lot more to it than just 'hear hear' or 'salud' (toasts). The core of the program revolves around prepared speeches. Your beginning manual lists 10 speeches (generally 5-7 minutes) - the first 2/3 of the manual gets you at the front and focuses on various speaking mechanics - the words you choose, body language, vocal variety, props, etc, while the last 1/3 of the manual pulls it together with a speech to educate, one to persuade, and your last one is to motivate your audience.

After each speech (later in the same meeting) you'll receive a formal evaluation from a fellow member (it's not pass/fail, but rather what went well, and something to improve). You'll also receive feedback from other members, sometimes you'll have a stack of short notes to go through with their thoughts/encouragement.

So, the first part of each meeting is the prepared speeches, the third part of the meeting is the evaluations. Between speeches and evaluations is the impromptu speaking, called Table Topics. That's a Q&A format, no preparation. 1-2 minutes of speaking off-the-cuff. Some members dread this while others look forward to it. In short, you might connect with half your questions and the other half make you look like Miss South Carolina. No problemo, every person in the meeting has had the same experience. As an out, you may opt to speak off the cuff about a topic of your choosing if you just cannot get your mind around the question.

So, that's the speaking portion. I'll post about leadership in a bit.

jkennett

Reaction score
This sounds like something that Bush could have used before entering office... On that note, has anyone else ever watched the House of Commons debates? The quickness of replies and thoughts are spectacular at times in their rapid-fire debates. The toastmasters classes just reminded me of this.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Leadership is the other aspect of Toastmasters. When you arrive at a meeting, you should be given a copy of the agenda. The meetings tend to follow the agenda fairly closely, give or take a few minutes here or there.

As you attend the meeting, you're given roles to perform (and yes, you do get advance notice most of the time). Maybe you time the speeches, or perhaps you watch the grammar to note clever turns of phrase, or count ballots and hand out awards. You should get guidance from the senior members before each role, and most of the time I make sure a senior member sits by a first-timer, but that's at my club. They are all speaking roles. I know it doesn't sound exciting, but it makes you mindful of these things while you're up there speaking. As you develop, you start to lead these roles as general evaluator or meeting toastmaster.

At the beginning, you'll have examples of people who are proficient at running the meeting, and perhaps some who are not so proficient, or as I prefer to say, 'in process'. You'll deal with these folks and learn from them, because in a few months, you'll be leading your own meeting, lining up the speakers (actually, that's usually done for you - you just confirm with them), publishing the agenda, writing your opening comments and introductions, and running the meeting.

This, by the way, is a model for how most productive meetings are run. You'll learn to communicate well before the meeting to make sure people are on board with you and ready to perform their duties.

In general, a lot of members who've been around a while are called on to run meetings or training sessions at their workplaces. One in particular runs his firm's board meetings and MC's their anniversary celebrations. Many members end up climbing the ladder at their workplace a bit quicker, partly due to their increased communication skills, and partly due to their ease in leading people.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks guys, specially Thomas. I just emailed the club that I'm interested in sitting through and asked if I can join them in their next meeting.
smile.gif

The Deacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thomas's detailed info was spot on! Toastmasters is an experience you will not regret for a minute. I too put off joining for years but once I did it, my progress was quite profound.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
Thanks guys, specially Thomas. I just emailed the club that I'm interested in sitting through and asked if I can join them in their next meeting.
smile.gif

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads