Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

toaster

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by kmwrestle, Jun 29, 2011.

1. kmwrestle

kmwrestle Senior member

I am Looking for a toaster....what is the best one I should buy

Wants:
    4 slice
    even toasting
    fairly quick toasting
    ability to toast bagels etc
    long lasting
    solid construction

I would prefer something I can buy at Target or Walmart as I can get discounts from them, but its not a deal breaker

I was looking at this, but after reading reviews i'm not sure if its worth the money:
    http://www.target.com/Dualit-Classic...i_detailbutton

Thanks

2. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor

$367 for a freaking toaster... is that a joke???

3. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

So you won't be cooking anything other than bread/bagels, right? No need for an "oven"?

I'd recommend whatever you can get at Costco.

4. summej2

summej2 Senior member

I got so tired of toasters being either junk or overpriced design accessories that I bought a commercial pizza oven about 15 years ago. It has one setting: on. And there is a timer. It's never broken and it makes more than toast. Edit: here is an example - http://www.instawares.com/tomlinson-...m?s_cseid=GSHP

5. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

I got so tired of toasters being either junk or overpriced design accessories that I bought a commercial pizza oven about 15 years ago. It has one setting: on. And there is a timer. It's never broken and it makes more than toast. Edit: here is an example - http://www.instawares.com/tomlinson-...m?s_cseid=GSHP
    Whoa, that's kind of ingenious. I want one but would have no place to put it in my tiny kitchen.

6. eg1

eg1 Senior member

I got so tired of toasters being either junk or overpriced design accessories that I bought a commercial pizza oven about 15 years ago. It has one setting: on. And there is a timer. It's never broken and it makes more than toast.

Edit: here is an example - http://www.instawares.com/tomlinson-...m?s_cseid=GSHP

I hate our toaster-oven -- what a piece of crap it is. [​IMG]

But with this pizza-oven alternative, how can you tell how long to leave stuff (ie. toast, pizza etc.) in there for? [​IMG]

Also, since there is no window, I guess you have to open the door to see if stuff is burning? [​IMG]

7. StephenHero

StephenHero Black Floridian

$367 for a freaking toaster... is that a joke???

It better come with some Oompa Loompas that butter my bread for me.

8. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    toasters are the worst. there just aren't any really good ones, even dualits. i'd go to target or costco or whatever and pick up whatever looks best, because they all work just about equally bad.

9. Xericx

Xericx Senior member

get a breville.

10. freshcutgrass

freshcutgrass Senior member

I have a six-slice commercial Dualit that was built before they became a huge fad. I'm pretty sure the quality was much higher then. I don't use it at the moment, as it requires a high voltage and I don't have a 220 receptacle in my current rented kitchen.

I am currently using a very compact, two-slice vintage restaurant Toastmaster. It's built like a 1940's Cadillac bumper (and weighs about as much as one too). The timer has an actual clock-like mechanism that you can hear ticking as it toasts. The only drawback is that the openings are fairly slim, so anything really thick will not fit. But it's a beauty, and still works like a charm.

11. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

toasters are the worst. there just aren't any really good ones, even dualits. i'd go to target or costco or whatever and pick up whatever looks best, because they all work just about equally bad.
    get a breville.
    Yup. The Breville 800 is a fucking beast.

12. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    Yup. The Breville 800 is a fucking beast.
    at a certain point, though, with all of this kitchen equipment, don't you have to ask: do i really need to spend $100 just to make better toast?

13. Xericx

Xericx Senior member

I think you're also paying a premium so it doesn't look like you have a $15 toaster sitting on your kitchen countertop.
    If it makes "better toast" or not, is probably debateable, I like the temperature controls on them though and the mechanism the bread comes up and down on the Breville.

14. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Senior member

15. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

at a certain point, though, with all of this kitchen equipment, don't you have to ask: do i really need to spend $100 just to make better toast?
    True. But, since I only cook for 1, the oven is the real reason I bought it. The fact that it makes killer toast is only icing for me. If I only needed toast, I would have went over to Costco and picked up whatever cheap piece of shit they had there.