• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To Walk or Not to Walk a Fashion Tradeshow

jyook

Reaction score
Mr. Eric Glennie,

This could be a real break for you... You should really make this happen... With j and Tokyo Slim offering support, I don't see why you wouldn't... I know many have mocked you on this forum and some of your ideas to me are, well, over the top... But what successful fashion designer hasn't been there (ie: Thom Browne, Miuccia Prada, et al)??

You are obviously very passionate about and truly believe in your ideas... That is half the battle right there...

George Lucas was scoffed at when he originally came up with the idea of making a space opera about a young boy saving the galaxy from the clutches of an evil empire... People thought his dailies were an absolute disaster and his wife cried after viewing them...

Nobody believed that Francis Ford Coppolla would ever successfully complete his movie based on Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness set in Vietnam... As a matter of fact, everybody was convinced he was going insane during the production that they went so far as sending John Milius, who was the co-writer of the script, to talk some sense into him and end filming (Filming had gone on for more than 250 days)... By the end of that conversation, Ford convinced Milius that the movie would be the first to win the Nobel Prize...

I could pull out more examples but you get the idea... If you don't follow through with this, you'll be nothing but a **** talking wimp... Go... Do it... Make it happen... Borrow money... Sell your car... Prove all the naysayers wrong... This is your window of opportunity and I really wish you success...

Your impossible necktie knot is your best and most palatable idea IMO... I'd definitely bring that to the convention...

If you wimp out, j will probably not make this offer again... Why would he?? If I was him and you wimped out, you would be nothing but a forum joker that surely is to be ignored...

And you'll have a documentary made about your rise as well?? You never know... Tokyo Slim could be the next Errol Morris... This documentary could cement your position as an icon of fashion for sure...

Do it... Glennie... Don't wimp out... The planets and stars are lined up in the proper configuration... 2009 could be your year...

Break out of the garage and shine...

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
+1 on j & Slim's ideas.... that is possible Sundance material.

eric glennie

Reaction score
Thanks Guys for your generous verbal support and I know my neckties are history makers and great for American fashion. Unfortunately, I dont have the funding for a booth at this time. The booth is $3000 for a 6x10. If Styleforum or members of the forum want to sponsor an Eric Glennie Booth at MAGIC, the documentary is a done deal and we can make it happen right now. We can post a Styleforum banner to promote new members to Styleforum or maybe a few new sponsors will sign up to Styleforum. This could be the first time a fashion forum could sponsor a fashion designer. Maybe even a few new sponsors might come aboard Styleforum if the Eric Glennie label get some press or celebrity endorsement at MAGIC. Either way , we could BOTH get exposure with a mutual booth. If the Styleforum wants to purchase a booth at MAGIC to promote their forum and allow Eric Glennie to show a few ties at their booth, then that would be great also. I think we could make a great team and build off each other to promote all of our agendas. The ball is in your court gentlemen, I have the ties, the label, and the reputation but I just dont have the money right now.

PS. I had a fashion editor from the LA Times email me asking if I was going to be in NY next week to talk. I said no, but I might be in Vegas. Point being, the word is getting out and the future of menswear is getting noticed. Its just a matter of time so I hope Styleforum is serious about getting me to Vegas.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would probably be interested in viewing the documentary. I'd pay to see it.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eric glennie
Thanks Guys for your generous verbal support and I know my neckties are history makers and great for American fashion. Unfortunately, I dont have the funding for a booth at this time.

So does this mean that you aren't going at all?

eric glennie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
So does this mean that you aren't going at all?

I will let you know ( email or PM) by tonite or tomorrow morning.

jyook

Reaction score
Screw MAGIC... I also think Project is the better venue for you... PM j right now and get your **** together... You need to go to Vegas this time around... The documentary must be made... I'm willing to donate $50 to the cause right now... I don't make that much money and there are a **** load of lawyers on this board who probably drop more money at lunch, a bar, or a strip club daily... 60 people dropping $50 = $3K... For you guys wearing the Kiton, Brioni, and Savile Row suits, you could spare to drop a Benjamin or two for this... Who's with me??!!
bounce2.gif

jyook

Reaction score
One more thing...

Mr. Glennie,

After a couple of seconds thought, I was wondering... You have to put your own assets into this as well... How much are you willing to come up with?? This is your deal afterall...

eric glennie

Reaction score
I will have to let you guys know my plans in the morning. I need to call my 401K rep to see if I can and how I can withdraw the money out of my retirement acct. The way Wall Street has been nowadays, it would be safer to invest in myself and my dream rather than stocks and bonds.

Can someone please tell me!
Who is J and Tokyo Slim? I need Bio's

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

hmmm... where to begin?

jyook

Reaction score
I will have to let you guys know my plans in the morning. I need to call my 401K rep to see if I can and how I can withdraw the money out of my retirement acct. The way Wall Street has been nowadays, it would be safer to invest in myself and my dream rather than stocks and bonds.

Why don't you just PM them??

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Bio?

I don't even know where to start.
smile.gif

lol

What do you want to know?

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If everyone here is 100% serious about getting a booth for Eric at MAGIC, or any other trade show, and 100% serious about producing a documentary about the whole experience, I will happily be in for $50. Tokyo, Eric, J if you guys are serious, PM me and I'll paypal the money.

I will consider the final documentary compensation enough for the money. It will be like "Hustle & Flow" with clothes. Like everyone else, when I first saw his designs, I thought he was kidding. We've all seen the patents, and seen the new designs getting posted every few weeks. Those runway pics have made me realize there are like-minded people in fashion right now, just not in mainstream production.

It's no secret that some people think Eric is delusional, but I really want to see what happens at a trade show. Maybe he'll find someone who's interested in producing these for some kind of niche market, maybe it'll be a total bust and his designs will be greeted with confusion and bewilderment, maybe he'll tweak his approach and hit gold. Either way, I am genuinely interested to see what happens. It's the story of a guy chasing his dreams and ignoring all his critics. That alone will make an inspiring film.

JeffsWood

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
If everyone here is 100% serious about getting a booth for Eric at MAGIC, or any other trade show, and 100% serious about producing a documentary about the whole experience, I will be in for $50.

I will consider the final documentary compensation enough for the money. Sink or swim, seeing a documentary about a designer who got his exposure to the world on SF trying to make it into the big leagues will be amazing. It will be like "Hustle & Flow" with clothes.

Tokyo, Eric, J if you guys are serious, PM me and I'll paypal the money.

+1 I am in for $50

Eric I have to admit at firts I thought your were just 'taking the piss' with some of you posts, but now I do believe you have a dream, and that pretty cool.

I'll back you.

eric glennie

Reaction score
No, I am not delusional and my designs are very serious. I had my congruent neckties shown on a local Minnesota ABC TV affiliate last week. Please check them out at www.twincitieslive.com under the heading Mens trends 2009. Congruent neckties are pretty cool and this will be my first product to show at Vegas to introduce the Eric Glennie line. Avant garde design is usually unwearable and only a few take chances to wear unique fashion in public, yet my revolutionary fashion neckties are for everyone to wear and still look cool. Avant guarde design is usually for womenswear, not menswear so here is something unique, yet wearable for the guys. Business wear is even less likely to have a unique product to choose from. I am excited so I am working hard to find a way to get to Vegas. I am confident things will work out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads