• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To tie, or not to tie.

nairb49

Reaction score
Setting-Xmas party, but primarily younger (20-25) crowd. Old schoolmates, no coworkers, some former flames.

Thoughts? Vest is also optional, though I wouldn't mind it.

a1-1.jpg

mrchapel

Reaction score
That outfit is begging for a tie; but I do understand if you'd feel overdressed or otherwise embarrassed. Personally, I'd wear the tie and anyone who questions the look is probably jealous.

EDIT: By the way, who's the maker of the suit, and the shirt? What shoes are those as well?

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Needs a tie for sure.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah, you need a tie. or a more fitted, stiffer shirt that's not gonna flop around.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
+1
And if you elect to go without tie, then I would definitely lose the vest.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Go with a tie and outdress everyone else. Without the tie and that vest, it looks like you're trying to be Scarface.
tongue.gif

nairb49

Reaction score
Thanks for the opinions guys, I think I'll bit the bullet and go for the tie.

mrchapel-The suit is an old one from the Mani line, by Armani, and the shoes are plain toe oxfords by Johnston and Murphy.

Edit-the shirt is Margiela, but had been sitting in my travel bag for a week. Just threw on the outfit to snap a photo and get the opinions.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could go with the fully buttoned, no tie look that the Sartorialist says is appearing on cool guys everywhere. I can't endorse it; reminds me of Michael Wilbon. And just the early 90s in general.

gqjanportjw3.jpg

nairb49

Reaction score
Hmm, interesting. Its still too new for me to get past the love/hate stage. Maybe the next party.

Leaveitothexperts

Reaction score
Does the suit have a brownish hue or is just my screen? If it does I would go with a tie that has some orange in it, to set the old flames on fire, of course . . . . love the rest of the look btw.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try and snap another pic with the tie...what color would you go with anyway?

nairb49

Reaction score
I'll try and snap a pic with a tie.

The suit has no brown, it is a dark navy. It might be the dirt on my mirror that you're interpreting as brown
tounge.gif

So for a tie, I was thinking of keeping the colour subdued, ie plain coloured black/blue or going out there with red or pattern etc.

Leaveitothexperts

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nairb49
I'll try and snap a pic with a tie.

The suit has no brown, it is a dark navy. It might be the dirt on my mirror that you're interpreting as brown
tounge.gif

So for a tie, I was thinking of keeping the colour subdued, ie plain coloured black/blue or going out there with red or pattern etc.

OK will take a look when you have more pics. Please clean your mirror before then . . .
laugh.gif

nairb49

Reaction score
Ok, too lazy to clean, so I switched mirrors

Here is what I was thinking for a "loud" tie, my camera wonked out on me before I could snap a pic of a couple "plain" options.

2.jpg

Leaveitothexperts

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nairb49
Ok, too lazy to clean, so I switched mirrors

Here is what I was thinking for a "loud" tie, my camera wonked out on me before I could snap a pic of a couple "plain" options.

2.jpg

Hmmm . . . I think it is my screen. Trying to think of the ensemble, I like it . . . .

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads