• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To tie, or not to tie.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
I think a solid satin or textured tie would better pull it together since you already have two patterns going on. A smaller knot would also give it a bit of a younger flair, but that's your call of course.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jovan
I think a solid satin or textured tie would better pull it together since you already have two patterns going on. A smaller knot would also give it a bit of a younger flair, but that's your call of course.

A agree on the solid tie, but I think the tie knot gives you an air of power that complements the formality of the vested suit.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't think that the tie is bad as far as pattern, but I do agree that smaller knots are looking better and better. The large knot is way overplayed in my mind. It looks too contrived.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I don't think that the tie is bad as far as pattern, but I do agree that smaller knots are looking better and better. The large knot is way overplayed in my mind. It looks too contrived.

Sorry, I am all about a good thick knot (especially with the fit of his shirt and suit)...just not a Full Windsor that winds up looking like The Tie Knot That Swallowed The Poor Guy's Neck (unless the guy really knows how to proportion it).

I am always impresssed when I see a guy in his 20s that has taken the time to leanr how to pull off a Half-Windsor or a Pratt/ Shelby. It's a true mark that the guy has bothered to lean a bit about how to really dress like a gentleman, instead of just taking the Path of Least Resistance (which usually leads to advice from a Men's Wearhouse salesman).

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Solid tie. Better dimple.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
I think a four-in-hand lends better sprezzatura. I do think there are times that call for a half-Windsor (never a full Windsor, eek), but this'll look more relaxed. Just my two woolongs. EDIT: Oh, one more suggestion. Unfasten that bottom waistcoat button. The same reason you leave the bottom button on a jacket undone applies here as well. It'll look better.
smile.gif

nairb49

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice guys! In the end, I was a bit rushed so kept my outfit exactly as you saw it, but did undo the bottom waistcoat button.

It was a success, a few old flames with the always nice "you're looking really good these days" etc etc. Kudos SFers, you've done it again!

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing like a vested suit to call attention to oneself!

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nairb49
Ok, too lazy to clean, so I switched mirrors

Here is what I was thinking for a "loud" tie, my camera wonked out on me before I could snap a pic of a couple "plain" options.

2.jpg

Yeah, that is definitely a LOOOOOUD tie, IMO.

I would go for the solid options (as long as there is some surface interest), or for some kind of stripes.#

Of course, it all depends on the kind of crowd that you will mix with, and what you will feel comfortable with. I would suggest that you really think it over. If you will be the only one wearing a tie, just think it over before and make sure that you really will feel great about it, and that you really wear a tie that you will feel great about. I would indeed suggest considering a different one from the one on the photo - it is quite horrible, IMO (please, don´t think I am trying to be gross, but I really find that tie quite horrible; I am no sartorial expert, though, so please do not pay too much attention to my words).

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
You could go with the fully buttoned, no tie look that the Sartorialist says is appearing on cool guys everywhere. I can't endorse it; reminds me of Michael Wilbon. And just the early 90s in general.

gqjanportjw3.jpg

Rather than cool, it looks like somebody just forgot to put his tie on. I cannot really see the cool thing about it. Leaving my fly down is cool as well?

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think a four-in-hand lends better sprezzatura. I do think there are times that call for a half-Windsor (never a full Windsor, eek), but this'll look more relaxed.
Although with the waistcoat, I think that you will have to choose a knot that makes sure no part of the tie hangs out visible below the waiscoat; a tie hanging out below the waistcoat is a bit like having ********** hanging out through an open fly, at least from a Freudian point of view, IMO.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by epa
Leaving my fly down is cool as well?
Well yeah, but only if you're in the Meatpacking District when you do it.

UMass

Reaction score
No tie, I would loose the vest and change to a blue shirt.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by epa
Although with the waistcoat, I think that you will have to choose a knot that makes sure no part of the tie hangs out visible below the waiscoat; a tie hanging out below the waistcoat is a bit like having ********** hanging out through an open fly, at least from a Freudian point of view, IMO.
crackup[1].gif

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Originally Posted by epa
Little secret that no one has to know... tuck the tie into your waistband. I'm not okay with that usually, but no one will see it in this case with the waistcoat.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads