1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

To tailor or to trash? (Express MK2)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by pandabear2cute4u, Oct 22, 2010.

1. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

Please pick a new user name and then come back.

You mean you don't like that god awful "makes you want to shoot someone because it's unbearably ugly" faux military style of shirt that's become this year's rage?

It's my favorite. [​IMG]

2. cioni2k

cioni2k Senior member

As someone who used to have quite a few sneakers pre-SF (high/low top dunks, blazers, clae, wallabees) all I can say is prepare to spend a lot money on dress shoes [​IMG] I used to think 200-300 on a pair of Jordans was a lot of money, now I'm wearing over $1200 retail Edward Greens. Its an expensive hobby [​IMG]

3. bjornb17

bjornb17 Senior member

Donate it to Goodwill.

A cheap lesson. Next time you know to buy medium sized shirts.

myke

I agree with this. At least if you donate it to Goodwill, it can still of benefit to somebody else. I've done with with plenty of clothing that I've bought on a whim that is the wrong size, style, or just otherwise not for me.

Just out of interest, how much did you pay for it?

4. Made in California

Made in California Senior member

So, just for the "LULZ..." How much do you think it would cost to do what I want to this shirt?

A "good" tailor near me (I'm not much a fan, hence the word in quotes) cost me $40 for basic alterations like narrowing the waist, narrowing the sleeves, stuff like that, but $65 if I wanted to bring in the shoulders (which it looks like you'll need to do). At another tailor that was recommended on this forum I've paid $60 for work I was quite happy with.

However, I also have had shirts altered in the same way by this old lady for $25. I had 3 shirts done by her and it was completely hit or miss. One time I gave her a shirt that she said was very hard to work with since it was 100% polyester, but she ended up doing a very good job on it even though it took double the time I was quoted. Another time I brought in a cotton shirt that she did a very slipshod job on where the sticking came out the first time I wore it.

The point is you can probably find a cheap tailor to do it for $25, but the odds that it gets done the way you want are about 50%. So the EV (expected value) of this line is still $50. [​IMG]

What would that be?

SW&D = Streetwear and Dongles. You know, where they talk about sneakers!

5. kulata

kulata Senior member

Keep it. Wash it and soak it hot water, dry it in the dryer so it shrinks.

Always roll the sleeves and forget the tie. It should be a good beater shirt for running errands and generally dressing down. Not a fan of express and also not a fan of wasteful spending.

6. jabreal00

jabreal00 Senior member

Give the shirt away to Goodwill. The amount of work needed would be massive. Not to mention also expensive if taken to a competent tailor and not an alterationist (ie drycleaner).

At 5'8'' 188lbs, a size L will never look good on you in most circumstances unless you like the tent look prevalent now a days.

I am 5'10'' and 160 lbs and have to get Brooks Brothers "slim" cut shirts (size 15 1/2 & 34) tailored because they fit like tents on me at the sides and in the arms. It costs about $40 to get them sized properly. This is also similar to shirts that are sized medium.

7. Butter

Butter Senior member

Not worth tailoring.

Sell it for cheap or give it away.