• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To tailor or return? 1st linen blazer

Prof. B. Bear

Reaction score
Hi guys, extremely long lurker and seldom poster here. I recently picked up this navy linen blazer for 10% of its original value and am wondering whether or not it can be salvaged or if I should just get my money back.
hI4pa.jpg
Ap1p7.jpg
My camera is quite old and the pictures aren't the best, but any advice would be much appreciated. I think the button stance is too high and overall length of the blazer too short. I'm 6'1 and have quite a long torso and have trouble finding 36L-38L sizings here in Australia. I'm thinking of getting the first button lowered if possible. Would it be possible to get it lengthened? There's a 1 inch hem running along the bottom if that helps. This particular blazer was rolled on the shelf instead of being hung which is why there is significant creasing and why the shoulders have huge creases in them. Any input on what can be done would be greatly appreciated. I'm 23 graduating from University this year and want to begin getting my SF wardrobe started as soon as possible.

Maccimus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of course lowering button is impossible.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
too small in the shoulders. Send it back.

Prof. B. Bear

Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie

How does one tell that jackets are too small in the shoulders? The stitching of the shoulder and arm sits right on the edge of my shoulder. Is this meant to be a little over? Sorry, I'm still very green to all this.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie

I'm fairly certain that is the first time I have heard that said on SF
laugh.gif

repp_fink

Reaction score
Your instincts are right; it is too short, even if you favor a shorter jacket. It looks like the natural waist of the jacket is sitting somewhere around your 9th or even 8th ribs -- even if you somehow lengthened the jacket or dropped the top button (neither of which is necessarily feasible), the basic proportions would still be those of a shorter jacket. Return, or B&S it.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
While the buttons may be a bit too high and the jacket a bit too short I think you need to ask where/how this jacket is going to be worn.

Firstly it's linen. The very charm of linen is that it creases and bunches. It gives the fabric a rakish edge. For this reason most warm climate professional suits/SCs are made of tropical wool, silk or cotton. Fabrics that will not look as rumpled as easily. Since you have opted for linen (and are 23) I assume the jacket will be worn casually (i.e. without a tie, with jeans, with a sports shirt, etc).

If you are going for a casual jacket (again this is based on assumption) then you can afford it to be a little shorter and a tad tighter. While I agree the shoulders appear to be a bit on the snug side, (see the awkward looking pull that extends from your right shoulder to the top button in the first picture) most casual jackets will/can be worn open. Especially with fabrics like linen, which should be worn in warmer conditions, you'll find yourself wanting to open up you jacket often to get some air circulating.

If the jacket is worn open and in a casual setting then I think you should be alright. However, if you are looking for a staple blue blazer, something professional, or even something overly versatile, I would suggest you return the jacket and look into a new fabric (for starters).

Many of these "great deal" items are bought for that reason and that reason alone. None of what I have said above means anything if at the end of the day you still aren't happy with the piece. Worry less about what SF says and think more about what is going to make you happy.

Prof. B. Bear

Reaction score
Originally Posted by repp_fink
Your instincts are right; it is too short, even if you favor a shorter jacket. It looks like the natural waist of the jacket is sitting somewhere around your 9th or even 8th ribs -- even if you somehow lengthened the jacket or dropped the top button (neither of which is necessarily feasible), the basic proportions would still be those of a shorter jacket. Return, or B&S it.

Many thanks for your reply. When I tried it on I felt that it was a little on the shorter side and wasn't the best fit for me, but alas the price sucked me into it. What was "B&S it" mean?

Originally Posted by bourbonbasted
While the buttons may be a bit too high and the jacket a bit too short I think you need to ask where/how this jacket is going to be worn.

Firstly it's linen. The very charm of linen is that it creases and bunches. It gives the fabric a rakish edge. For this reason most warm climate professional suits/SCs are made of tropical wool, silk or cotton. Fabrics that will not look as rumpled as easily. Since you have opted for linen (and are 23) I assume the jacket will be worn casually (i.e. without a tie, with jeans, with a sports shirt, etc).

If you are going for a casual jacket (again this is based on assumption) then you can afford it to be a little shorter and a tad tighter. While I agree the shoulders appear to be a bit on the snug side, (see the awkward looking pull that extends from your right shoulder to the top button in the first picture) most casual jackets will/can be worn open. Especially with fabrics like linen, which should be worn in warmer conditions, you'll find yourself wanting to open up you jacket often to get some air circulating.

If the jacket is worn open and in a casual setting then I think you should be alright. However, if you are looking for a staple blue blazer, something professional, or even something overly versatile, I would suggest you return the jacket and look into a new fabric (for starters).

Many of these "great deal" items are bought for that reason and that reason alone. None of what I have said above means anything if at the end of the day you still aren't happy with the piece. Worry less about what SF says and think more about what is going to make you happy.

Huge reply, thanks heaps! This is by no means meant to be a staple of my wardrobe. I'm getting a Navy blazer made my P. Johnson next time they come to my city which will do that job. I was thinking this could be for more casual/social settings where I would almost always wear it open.

I wasn't 100% happy with the fit when I tired it on and judging from the responses here, I'll probably return it. I don't want to start my "collection" with something that has glaring flaws to seasoned well dressed individuals.

Many thanks guys.

repp_fink

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prof. B. Bear
When I tried it on I felt that it was a little on the shorter side and wasn't the best fit for me, but alas the price sucked me into it. What was "B&S it" mean?

Oh, sorry : "B&S" = list it for sale on the Buying & Selling forum. Useful if the returns process doesn't work out.

Also: a blue linen jacket is staggeringly versatile, so good choice. Too bad about the length -- if it were only a problem of the button stance, I'd almost suggest installing a 3rd button halfway between the current 2 and pressing the jacket in a "3-roll-2", where the lapel rolls over the top button and you only fasten the middle one (the one you would have just added). However, that's a question of how much structure the jacket has and is sort of a Frankenstein solution anyway, so.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Achilles_
I'm fairly certain that is the first time I have heard that said on SF
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
First time for everything- including clothes that fit.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Octoberfile

Reaction score
I agree that the length is a bit short. However, the shoulders fit well, arms are a little uneven, which can easily be corrected, and the button stance is fine where it is.

If the jacket was an inch or two longer, you'd have one fine bargain, assuming you bought it on the cheap. Your thin, you've got long limbs and you' got some height. If you shrink one inch, you can fit into that jacket and become a model. Good luck.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bourbonbasted

I agree with lot of the above.

the shoulders aren't all that bad.

Its not going to be a Business Blue Blazer.

Yes it is a bit short in the body but no big deal compared to what a lot of fashion labels do today.

You are 23 not 45 - celebrate youth

Don't wear it buttoned up.

Wear it unbuttoned and with casual - jeans or light chinos - relax - just throw it on like a hoodie.

If you can get an inch or half an inch longer it will look better. But don't sweat it.

edit:: The whole buttoned up thing is over done on this forum.

edit2:: depends on how much it costs - under $200aud - keep it - over - mmh - you can probably do better.

edit3:: ditch the low rise pants - esp. with your height - or any height

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Too short, and the shoulder looks odd. I think the shoulder is actually too big.

I would return it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads