• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

To square, or not to square?

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
I'm attending a formal event later this month, and will be wearing a one button peak lapel dealie with white flower brocade vest and black bowtie. I may go ahead with a black cummerbund instead, but since this is a dance that I'll be around a bunch of other young people with, I don't need to be that traditional (read: boring). Just dignified. So, I wonder, would a white linen handkerchief look bad? I remember Sean Connery pulled them off on a dinner suit with a certain amount of dignity.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Go for it dude. In fact, it's super-traditional. If you want to buck a trend, go for a shot silk dealie from Mulberrywood, in bright blue.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My personal opinion is that a jacket without a pocket square looks awful, and that a jacket with a patterned pocket square looks awful. I can handle an edged linen but prefer plain white linen. With a dinner jacket, plain white linen is the only way to go.

I am also no fan of brocade vests and other such accessories.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
If you want to buck a trend, go for a shot silk dealie from Mulberrywood, in bright blue.
I figure I'd be doing it enough considering most guys my age don't really care what they wear, as long as it's a dinner suit. Worse, many wear those four button Claiborne designed atrocities and think it's edgy and fashionable. Ugh. But yeah... even though blue is my favourite colour, I'm going to stick to the black and white.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of course not. Pockets square are de rigeur, preferably in white linen or silk. Linen is nicer.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
White linen is the best(only) choice. I prefer a drawn hem to a rolled hem.

someoneNew

Reaction score
I say go for it, but then again Sean Connery can pull of stuff that 99.9% of the population cannot.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

• JW Anderson x Uniqlo

• Nigo x Virgil Abloh

• Converse x Midnight Studios

• Rick Owens x Champion

• Barbour x Engineered Garments

• Adidas x Bed JW Ford

• Jordan Brand x Dior

• Billie Eilish x Takashi Murakami

• Lego x Levi's