• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To Square or Not To Square Is the Question of the Day

heard546

Reaction score
I am wondering how my fellow forum members feel about this accessory. The information below is based on articles from Men's Style online, and another fashion blog I frequently read. Feel free to post feedback, suggestions, or other comments.

If anything defines style, it is silk handkerchiefs. It is the best way to look sharp, elegant, and impressive. Nothing in the style book says that you have to match your handkerchief color to your tie color or shirt color or suit color. Real style means being playful and creative.
The pocket square is one of the neatest and most personal contributions one can make to their outfit - the squares come in a mind-boggling array of finishes, patterns, colors, and fabrics. Silk and cotton squares are most common, silk being the best choice for more formal affairs while cotton is preferable worn with denim or a more casual approach to the course of the day.
One of the best reasons to don a pocket square is because, above nearly all else, it is a distinguishing mark, a statement that strongly suggests your commitment to style, image, and look. While legions of others merely wear a suit or blazer out of employment obligation or simply for a trend - the pocket square signifies a discerning level of care as well as a more liberal and laissez-faire attitude toward fashion itself. A properly paired pocket square can make an outfit shine, where it may have blended into the crowd before. Combine this amazing visual and style impact with an extremely affordable and collectable product - it is clear that the pocket square is a solid investment.

tony

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Square.
smile.gif

Felix Krull

Reaction score
Square, no question. Yet, I pray I never see another fop match his square to his tie.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That was an excellent little piece. I agreed with it totally except for the author's allusion to the "silk" square. Although most of my squares are silk, excellent squares can be linen (which some cognoscenti find more subtly elegant than silk) and cotton. I believe there are squares made of wool as well although I do not own any, nor do I believe I have ever even seen any.

I don't consider wearing a matching tie and square the mark of a "fop." It's more the mark of a clod--a guy who's trying but sort of clueless.

Felix Krull

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
That was an excellent little piece. I agreed with it totally except for the author's allusion to the "silk" square. Although most of my squares are silk, excellent squares can be linen (which some cognoscenti find more subtly elegant than silk) and cotton. I believe there are squares made of wool as well although I do not own any, nor do I believe I have ever even seen any.

I don't consider wearing a matching tie and square the mark of a "fop." It's more the mark of a clod--a guy who's trying but sort of clueless.

You've obviously never read Laurence Sterne

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Squares seem to be the hardest fashion accessory to masters. Shoes, shirts, tie, etc., all seem to come easier than matching squares.

Felix Krull

Reaction score
Amazing how one small piece of cloth can befuddle the masses so. A white linen pocket square folded in the tv style is the simplest, and most elegant fashion accessory a man has, period. Yet, there are dozens, perhaps hundreds of different colors and folds to experiment with. Better still, as long as you are not like the typical fop who fancies himself clever by matching his tie to his pocket square, there are no real wrong ways to wear the square.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I whole-heartedly agree about the white TV fold square. That's 99% of my square wearing. But I think it's also important to coordinate pattern, not just the colour.

The key word here is coordination, not matching.

NaturalShoulder

Reaction score
I prefer linen squares to silk and cotton. I wear a square most days with a suit or jacket. I agree the the TV fold is simple and elegant and is my usual fold. I have some silke squares but silk does not work with a TV fold. I use the puff with the silk but find myself fiddling with it during the day.

ccc123

Reaction score
LWAYS - I never go without one. sometimes it's coordinated (Not Matching)to the tie, sometimes its pushing in another direction entirely, almost to the point of saying "I'm not sure I would wear that PS with that tie, shirt suit" oddly when I do this I seem to get the most compliments from women.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Just pull out the lining in your breast pocket and puff it.

That's what they do in San Francisco, and it works.

- B

Jthaeler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Just pull out the lining in your breast pocket and puff it.

That's what they do in San Francisco, and it works.

- B

All too true. Square is much more commanding than the puff...

Dashing1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LVoer
I whole-heartedly agree about the white TV fold square. That's 99% of my square wearing. But I think it's also important to coordinate pattern, not just the colour.

The key word here is coordination, not matching.

True about pattern, but you graduate to the big leagues when you step up to co-ordinating (through careful differentiation) textures.
smile.gif

JFKJean

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ccc123
ALWAYS - I never go without one. sometimes it's coordinated (Not Matching)to the tie, sometimes its pushing in another direction entirely, almost to the point of saying "I'm not sure I would wear that PS with that tie, shirt suit" oddly when I do this I seem to get the most compliments from women.

+1

Originally Posted by LVoer
Squares seem to be the hardest fashion accessory to masters. Shoes, shirts, tie, etc., all seem to come easier than matching squares.

See thats the fun about a PS, you can go ape **** with it. It doesn't have to coordinate with the outfit but sometimes it's a must. Lately, I've been TV fold crazy, leaving my poofy ways aside for the moment (at least until it gets warm)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics