To Square or Not To Square Is the Question of the Day

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by heard546, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Leverandon

Leverandon Senior member

I've only been wearing pocket squares for a few months (roughly mapping to when I found this forum) but I already feel naked when I'm in a suit or sportcoat without a square.

2. bmulford

bmulford Senior member

A square is essential to pulling a (dressed) look together. Caution for matching is well advised.

3. barims

barims Senior member

Is this even a question?

4. bonobono_k

bonobono_k Senior member

It just taste.....[​IMG]

5. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

i love em!

i i really like a poofy fold or a TV fold, but I've been wearing pocket squares for as along as i've been wearing jackets and i feel odd without one.

They look so effortless when you really do them all the time and find ones that work in the situation you wear them in.

I think you should have a handful of squares.

Light blue linen
    white linen
    light pink linen
    Burgundy pattern
    Navy Pattern
    Yellow pattern.

that'll fill in the need for a sqaure in nearly every occasion with almost any jacket.

6. bowtielover

bowtielover Senior member

Always suare even if you become overdressed by doing so.

7. davidsj

davidsj Senior member

Square, no question. Yet, I pray I never see another fop match his square to his tie.

What's a fop? On that same note, what's an I-Gent and what's a HOF?

8. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

what's a HOF?

[​IMG]

- B

9. davidsj

davidsj Senior member

10. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

i love em!

i i really like a poofy fold or a TV fold, but I've been wearing pocket squares for as along as i've been wearing jackets and i feel odd without one.

They look so effortless when you really do them all the time and find ones that work in the situation you wear them in.

I think you should have a handful of squares.

Light blue linen
    white linen
    light pink linen
    Burgundy pattern
    Navy Pattern
    Yellow pattern.

that'll fill in the need for a sqaure in nearly every occasion with almost any jacket.

Great list, but I would substitute gold PS for yellow.

11. nhollick

nhollick Member

I always go with a PS. Without it, I feel like my outfit is incomplete. With linen/cotton I prefer the TV Fold, but i have been known to dabble with other ways. Silk is puffed. I try to coordinate. Recently, I've started to try to go in other directions, trying to find colors in silk PS's that vaguely coordinate with a tie or a shirt.

12. brittain

brittain Senior member

I always opt for the PS. The only thing that is worse than a tie/PS set are these fake pocket squares. I just dont get them- is it so hard to use the real thing? [​IMG]

13. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

^^^ or jackets I've seen with the "pocket square" poking out of the breast pocket... that are actually a piece of nylon sewn to the top of the pocket to look like a TV fold. Looks ridiculous.

14. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

That was an excellent little piece. I agreed with it totally except for the author's allusion to the "silk" square. Although most of my squares are silk, excellent squares can be linen (which some cognoscenti find more subtly elegant than silk) and cotton. I believe there are squares made of wool as well although I do not own any, nor do I believe I have ever even seen any. I don't consider wearing a matching tie and square the mark of a "fop." It's more the mark of a clod--a guy who's trying but sort of clueless.
    Wheres the full article? I often like wearing pocket squares that don't match at all. Something about pocket squares really screws with people and they can be used to invoke a positive sense of wonder. I know, no one on these forums is even remotely interested in one upsmanship and I completely invented the concept but the non matching pocket square can freak people out. You;ll get people asking (or telling) why they don't match, usually some kind of nastly OCDer, so it's good to keep em guessing. Most importantly, there is a way to use a pocket square that makes people wonder if you know something they dont and that's most entertaining.

15. PhillyDude

PhillyDude Active Member

Quick question to anyone: are squares, generally speaking, business appropriate? As a recent college grad, I can't speak from experience, hence this question. Think law firm, or corporate HQ.