• We would like to welcome Pete and Harry as an official Affiliate Vendor. Pete and Harry, co-founded by Erik (EFV) one of our long time members and friends, offers a wide variety of products, clothes, watches and accessories, antique, vintage, “pre-loved” and new - all at unparalleled prices. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

To Square or Not To Square Is the Question of the Day

heard546

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2008
Messages
872
Reaction score
0
I am wondering how my fellow forum members feel about this accessory. The information below is based on articles from Men's Style online, and another fashion blog I frequently read. Feel free to post feedback, suggestions, or other comments.

If anything defines style, it is silk handkerchiefs. It is the best way to look sharp, elegant, and impressive. Nothing in the style book says that you have to match your handkerchief color to your tie color or shirt color or suit color. Real style means being playful and creative.
The pocket square is one of the neatest and most personal contributions one can make to their outfit - the squares come in a mind-boggling array of finishes, patterns, colors, and fabrics. Silk and cotton squares are most common, silk being the best choice for more formal affairs while cotton is preferable worn with denim or a more casual approach to the course of the day.
One of the best reasons to don a pocket square is because, above nearly all else, it is a distinguishing mark, a statement that strongly suggests your commitment to style, image, and look. While legions of others merely wear a suit or blazer out of employment obligation or simply for a trend - the pocket square signifies a discerning level of care as well as a more liberal and laissez-faire attitude toward fashion itself. A properly paired pocket square can make an outfit shine, where it may have blended into the crowd before. Combine this amazing visual and style impact with an extremely affordable and collectable product - it is clear that the pocket square is a solid investment.



tony
 

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 16, 2007
Messages
3,739
Reaction score
13
Square.
 

Felix Krull

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2008
Messages
151
Reaction score
0
Square, no question. Yet, I pray I never see another fop match his square to his tie.
 

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Joined
Aug 7, 2004
Messages
8,718
Reaction score
482
That was an excellent little piece. I agreed with it totally except for the author's allusion to the "silk" square. Although most of my squares are silk, excellent squares can be linen (which some cognoscenti find more subtly elegant than silk) and cotton. I believe there are squares made of wool as well although I do not own any, nor do I believe I have ever even seen any.

I don't consider wearing a matching tie and square the mark of a "fop." It's more the mark of a clod--a guy who's trying but sort of clueless.
 

Felix Krull

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2008
Messages
151
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by JLibourel
That was an excellent little piece. I agreed with it totally except for the author's allusion to the "silk" square. Although most of my squares are silk, excellent squares can be linen (which some cognoscenti find more subtly elegant than silk) and cotton. I believe there are squares made of wool as well although I do not own any, nor do I believe I have ever even seen any.

I don't consider wearing a matching tie and square the mark of a "fop." It's more the mark of a clod--a guy who's trying but sort of clueless.


You've obviously never read Laurence Sterne
 

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2007
Messages
1,837
Reaction score
27
Squares seem to be the hardest fashion accessory to masters. Shoes, shirts, tie, etc., all seem to come easier than matching squares.
 

Felix Krull

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2008
Messages
151
Reaction score
0
Amazing how one small piece of cloth can befuddle the masses so. A white linen pocket square folded in the tv style is the simplest, and most elegant fashion accessory a man has, period. Yet, there are dozens, perhaps hundreds of different colors and folds to experiment with. Better still, as long as you are not like the typical fop who fancies himself clever by matching his tie to his pocket square, there are no real wrong ways to wear the square.
 

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2007
Messages
1,837
Reaction score
27
I whole-heartedly agree about the white TV fold square. That's 99% of my square wearing. But I think it's also important to coordinate pattern, not just the colour.

The key word here is coordination, not matching.
 

NaturalShoulder

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2009
Messages
194
Reaction score
0
I prefer linen squares to silk and cotton. I wear a square most days with a suit or jacket. I agree the the TV fold is simple and elegant and is my usual fold. I have some silke squares but silk does not work with a TV fold. I use the puff with the silk but find myself fiddling with it during the day.
 

ccc123

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
385
Reaction score
3
LWAYS - I never go without one. sometimes it's coordinated (Not Matching)to the tie, sometimes its pushing in another direction entirely, almost to the point of saying "I'm not sure I would wear that PS with that tie, shirt suit" oddly when I do this I seem to get the most compliments from women.
 

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Joined
Jan 18, 2007
Messages
25,748
Reaction score
169
Just pull out the lining in your breast pocket and puff it.

That's what they do in San Francisco, and it works.


- B
 

Jthaeler

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2009
Messages
68
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Just pull out the lining in your breast pocket and puff it.

That's what they do in San Francisco, and it works.


- B


All too true. Square is much more commanding than the puff...
 

Dashing1

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2007
Messages
163
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by LVoer
I whole-heartedly agree about the white TV fold square. That's 99% of my square wearing. But I think it's also important to coordinate pattern, not just the colour.

The key word here is coordination, not matching.


True about pattern, but you graduate to the big leagues when you step up to co-ordinating (through careful differentiation) textures.
 

JFKJean

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 4, 2009
Messages
295
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by ccc123
ALWAYS - I never go without one. sometimes it's coordinated (Not Matching)to the tie, sometimes its pushing in another direction entirely, almost to the point of saying "I'm not sure I would wear that PS with that tie, shirt suit" oddly when I do this I seem to get the most compliments from women.

+1

Originally Posted by LVoer
Squares seem to be the hardest fashion accessory to masters. Shoes, shirts, tie, etc., all seem to come easier than matching squares.

See thats the fun about a PS, you can go ape shit with it. It doesn't have to coordinate with the outfit but sometimes it's a must. Lately, I've been TV fold crazy, leaving my poofy ways aside for the moment (at least until it gets warm)
 

Featured Sponsor

LARGE METAL WATCHES WITH TAILORING

  • Yes, I’m tacky like that.

  • No way José! Dress watch with leather strap for me!

  • No watch at all.


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
465,812
Messages
10,062,667
Members
210,110
Latest member
ottergreengummy
Top