• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To Monogram or not?

Reaction score
I am having 6 shirts made up and I am wondering if I should put my monogram on them or not.

If I do I am leaning towards belly placement.

What do you guys think?

J Simulcik

Reaction score
On your shirts, no.

In your shirts, personal choice.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I used to have this done on my shirts, in part because the monogram--inside the yoke--meant the maker wouldn't add any other tags. My current shirtmaker charges extra for monograms. I don't see the purpose. I know my shirts are custom. Maybe on something like a white french cuffed shirt that would only be worn with a suit jacket, but even then, I wouldn't pay for it.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would personally never wear a shirt with a monogram on the body, anywhere. I am not sold on the cuff placement either.

If you must, get it on the tail or somewhere it is not visible. If I need to know, I already know your initials. If I don't need to know, there's no reason for me to see them.

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No monogram, ever, unless you suffer from dementia and are likely to wander off, in which case you should get your full name and address embroidered in.
smile.gif

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Loftyambitions
I am having 6 shirts made up and I am wondering if I should put my monogram on them or not.

If I do I am leaning towards belly placement.

What do you guys think?

IMO not.

Can we start a poll?!

I have some shirts done and in the jacket of my MTM suits is my prename and name. This all because of my tailor which doen't charge it. I personally don't like it and will not order another shirt/suit with it.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would consider getting a hidden monogram even more idiotic than getting a monogram on the cuff.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
I would consider getting a hidden monogram even more idiotic than getting a monogram on the cuff.

A hidden monogram is more in keeping with the traditional purpose of a monogram.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ I guess that depends on what you think the purpose of a monogram is. If it is to make sure your shirts don't get mixed up at the cleaners, then how is a monogram on the tail any worse than a monogram on the cuff? Your cleaner can still see the tail can't he?

If one is in the beginning stages of dementia and cannot remember who they are, then initials on the tail are just as helpful as initials on the cuff when selecting one's clothing for the day.

If you share a closet with another man with similar taste in clothing, then again, monograms on the tail are just as easy to see as on the cuff no?

Just what is it about visible monograms that provides a function?

lordofpi

Reaction score
I feel like this stems from when mothers used to sew their sons' names into underwear when sending them to camp. I just don't get it for an adult. I mean, just the fact that the shirt actually fits ought to be enough of a signal that it is custom.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lordofpi
I feel like this stems from when mothers used to sew their sons' names into underwear when sending them to camp. I just don't get it for an adult. I mean, just the fact that the shirt actually fits ought to be enough of a signal that it is custom.

Oh yes, but spending that extra $6 to have your shirt monogrammed is a signal of another kind..

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8

If one is in the beginning stages of dementia and cannot remember who they are, then initials on the tail are just as helpful as initials on the cuff when selecting one's clothing for the day.

So it is dementia to wear monograms
smile.gif

Originally Posted by gnatty8

Just what is it about visible monograms that provides a function?

If you are the coach of a football (soccer) team it is a must have.

greekonomist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you have your shirts professionally laundered (I don't), then I guess it's a safeguard against the unwritten law that sometimes your shirt goes to someone else...as Larry David found out.
smile.gif
Otherwise, I see no point.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads