• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To Monogram or not?

Reaction score
Thanks for all your opinions and suggestions.

I will opt to skip on the monogram.

greekonomist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Golf_Nerd
If you are the coach of a football (soccer) team it is a must have.

I always thought that was silly. Surely all the players know who the boss is? Besides, aren't those usually just on the tracksuit?

ferry1950

Reaction score
I have a monogram placed 2 1/2" from the sixth button of the shirt so it is near the belt line.
I view it as a laundry mark, as the intials are lower case.
ghw

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't mind a subtle monogram on my cuff (the horror!!!) and I don't think I am a lesser person for having them. get them if you want- its your shirt.

dirk diggler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always get monograms and use my last name (since it is very short) in small cursive lettering - I receive nothing but compliments

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by J Simulcik
On your shirts, no.

In your shirts, personal choice.

+1

The monogram on the cuff is horrible; inside as laudry protection, perhaps.

sm332

Reaction score
seems like there is no right or wrong convention here. Simply do what you like .. this isnt a big deal one way or the other.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to get "XX", then I would have my which ever girl I was in a serious relationship, now I know which part of my life the shirts were made.

All inside my yoke

Skyler

Reaction score
Reagan, I think, had them front and center on the pocket, which is not a political statement as much as one about time and fashion. Things come and go.

micbain

Reaction score
There seems to be an extreme distaste for monogramed cuffs on this forum. I don't mind them. Of all the egregious fashion mastakes made by john q. public, I don't think this ranks very highly.

AnGeLiCbOrIs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am suffering from dementia but I share a closet with a gentleman who shares my initials so no monogram for me.
devil.gif

And BTW, I absolutely despise chest monograms on shirts.

mdg137

Reaction score
Cuff, no--

But, I did save one of my favorite white shirts that somehow got a tiny, pin sized hole in the fabric near the placket-- I had a small monogram in white put over that spot, and the shirt went back into the rotation.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have seen a few recently on "the belly" or well below where the pocket would be. The best ones are small or have a sense of humor such as "E.S.P.", "R.I.P.". I'm sure any clever person could come up with many more fun ones aside from their own initials.

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by greekonomist
If you have your shirts professionally laundered (I don't), then I guess it's a safeguard against the unwritten law that sometimes your shirt goes to someone else
I actually believe that is where the monograming stems from. IMHO, monograming is like a Polo horse on the shirt ...

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't have them put on my shirts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads