• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To Hem or not to Hem?

andy15

Reaction score
Hey, i'm new on this forum so sorry if i post this in the wrong place.

I bought a new pair of jeans the other day but they're a bit longer than i'm used to.
I'm 5'7" and i normally wear an inseam of 30, but I couldn't find them in anything less than a 33, i didn't think it looked too bad at first, but now i' m having second thoughts.
Normally i would just have them hemmed, but i just moved too a new city and still haven't found a reliable alterations place.

Here are some pictures, they bunch up around the ankles a bit. Should i get them hemmed? or should i just leave them the way they are? They're a bit too baggy to stack.

IBJanky

Reaction score
That just looks sloppy.

Definitely get them hemmed.

myke

nohomo

Reaction score
Return them. Those creases in the back are supposed to be behind your knees, not at your calves. They look ridiculous that low.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We cannot properly evaluate this until you stand on top of a toilet.

Thank you.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nohomo
Return them. Those creases in the back are supposed to be behind your knees, not at your calves. They look ridiculous that low.

correct. that is why i hate predistressed jeans. lot of jeans that are straightleg or tapered are meant to be worn with longer inseams to do a little stacking, but factory predistressing behind the knee puts them on a location based on the ratio of the whole inseam. it shouldnt be. should only be done like at around 12-14 inches below crotch.

Originally Posted by teddieriley

Thank you.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
I laughed when I saw this comment ... but given that the OP is a first time poster ... he may not know of that thread. In any event ... thank you for not standing on a toilet.

I wish I could help ... but I'm not a jean expert ... being more in the Savile Row department.

But ... I agree with an earlier post ... they look a bit untidy bunched about the ankles as they are.

Gutman

Reaction score
How can you expect a 33 to look good and fit properly when you are a 30? If you want baggy jeans in 30, but buy them in 33, you are going to have super-baggy ill-fitting jeans. Sell these and buy a pair which fits. they are not savable through alterations / hemming

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just an FYI ... there is a Streetwear and Denim forum -- just below the Men's Style forum -- that might be better for this post.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads