• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To Happily Married People:

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not married yet, but will be. I knew she was the one after we survived with no problems after a long distance relationship for a while. It's usually a death sentence for most relationships.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
upon first glance.

serious.

thinking about it, the few week or so I dated my wife, I wasn't sure she had a sense of humor. then, about a week in, I got her to really really laugh about something silly, and that was when I decided she was the one.

sort of like I had checked off everything but one thing, and then when that fell into place it clicked.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I knew after our first date, back in college. We spent all night talking; even now, it's as if the conversation never ended. We got married 6 years later, after we could support ourselves.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
similar. it didnt take too long to know, but we waited 8 years before finally tying the knot

Same thing with me. I knew she was the one right in the beginning, but we got married 8 years later.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
So, a couple weeks of stalking, a couple years in jail, and then a couple years of courtship? How romantic.

Those records were all sealed, and I never admitted anything.

turboman808

Reaction score
Not married yet and not planning for a few years. It took me awhile to accept who I fell in love with. I had alot of hang ups and issues when meeting the girl I am with now. Very sweet girl and amazingly takes all my **** and nonsense in stride.

I had a funny conversation with my mom that just came out of nowhere. After Christmas she calls me up to say hi. She then says "I really like Lauren alot and I think she is really good for you. Have you thought of marrying her?" That just came out of nowhere LOL But really everyone who meets her really likes her.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
we were young and dumb and got married without a pot to piss in or a window to throw us out of. my grandfather got me a mirror (and a nice check) for a wedding gift-said it was so we could watch ourselves starve to death.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
FYI.

Study: Romantic Comedies "Spoil Your Love Life"
BBC
December 16, 2008

Rom-coms have been blamed by relationship experts at Heriot Watt University for promoting unrealistic expectations when it comes to love.

They found fans of films such as Runaway Bride and Notting Hill often fail to communicate with their partner.

Many held the view if someone is meant to be with you, then they should know what you want without you telling them.

Psychologists at the family and personal relationships laboratory at the university studied 40 top box office hits between 1995 and 2005, and identified common themes which they believed were unrealistic.

The movies included You've Got Mail, Maid In Manhattan, The Wedding Planner and While You Were Sleeping.

The university's Dr Bjarne Holmes said: "Marriage counsellors often see couples who believe that sex should always be perfect, and if someone is meant to be with you then they will know what you want without you needing to communicate it.

"We now have some emerging evidence that suggests popular media play a role in perpetuating these ideas in people's minds.

"The problem is that while most of us know that the idea of a perfect relationship is unrealistic, some of us are still more influenced by media portrayals than we realise."

The study says watching romantic comedies can spoil your love life

As part of the project, 100 student volunteers were asked to watch the 2001 romantic comedy Serendipity, while a further 100 watched a David Lynch drama.

Students watching the romantic film were later found to be more likely to believe in fate and destiny. A further study found that fans of romantic comedies had a stronger belief in predestined love.

Kimberly Johnson, who also worked on the study, said: "Films do capture the excitement of new relationships but they also wrongly suggest that trust and committed love exist from the moment people meet, whereas these are qualities that normally take years to develop."

The researchers have now launched an online study on media and relationships.

They are asking people to participate by answering questions about personality, relationships, and media consumption habits by filling in a questionnaire which you can click on here.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
. my grandfather got me a mirror (and a nice check) for a wedding gift-said it was so we could watch ourselves starve to death.

laugh.gif

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Knew within minutes (seriously) of meeting her. We had one of those instant connection things, can't exactly explain it.

We were close friends for 10 years, then dated for a few weeks, and got married. It oddly does feel like we were two parts of a split soul. Not that its perfect of course.

That all said - there is no "one" person for you. there are many "ones" that you may be compatible with, so don't get too hung up on it.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^yes, for sure. time and place has much to do with it.

Osprey Guy

Reaction score
We vaguely knew each other in HS (Both in the same academic program). Didn't see her again 'til our 15th reunion. Hardly recognized her. We danced and talked 'til late. I was in Baltimore....She had moved out to western Maryland. Nearly 2 hr drive away. I invited myself out to her place the following Friday after work...and I stayed through Sunday night. I'd been married once before. It lasted all of 5 weeks when we realized we weren't "right" for each other, although for the next year we continued to get together every Sunday night for the sex (while dating other people during the rest of the week).
woot.gif
I was also engaged to another girl for several months (that ended badly)....and I had more than my share of short and long-term relationships over the years. So my experience played a role in my ability to take a quick decision... So here I was out at her house in the "deep" country (near the West Virginia border) and o n that Sunday afternoon I "informed her" that we were going to get married. She said I was "nuts!" We got married 6 weeks later on New Year's Eve. Five years later we went to our 20th reunion... and many people attending told us how they'd heard about how we had met and were hoping that they'd meet someone at this reunion. BTW- We just celebrated our 25th anniversary.
2thumbsup.gif
Dennis FYI- My wife is a school teacher and on the Saturday (during that fateful weekend), she had to go out for a couple of hours to tutor some local kids. And I was left in the house alone. When she came home I called her into the bedroom. There was now a sizeable pile of clothes in the middle of her bedroom floor. I had all but emptied her closet. She was obviously stunned and said "what's going on?" I said "you need to toss all this or give it to Goodwill... Come on, I'm taking you shopping." Twentyfive years later, she's gotta be one of the best-dressed school teachers in the state!

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd say a few months. I don't believe it has anything to do with time though, it's more about specific little things that happen or are said. In my case, I knew she was the one when I got sick and she came over to take care of me and bring me some medication, instead of going to the park with her friends.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads