To Frat, or Not to Frat...?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Vampire weekend, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Vampire weekend

Vampire weekend Active Member

Are there any real benefits? Besides the parties, women, and social events? As a M.E undergrad would pledging be a good idea during one of my toughest semesters? I have plenty of really close friends so sociability is not the issue. Would being a member of a prestigious IFC Frat help me on a resumÃ[​IMG] or gain connections when seeking a job? Advice is what i'm hear for, not critical bullshit. Thanks![​IMG]

2. macuser3of5

macuser3of5 Senior member

art/hipster parties > frat parties IME. the women are looser and generally drugged up (chicken/egg scenario; make of it what you will).

3. rjmaiorano

rjmaiorano Senior member

No to frat.

Some situations may differ. At my school ME students did not mix well with frats.

4. Renton

Renton Senior member

Prestigious IFC frat?

5. unjung

unjung Senior member

The prestige is largely bullshit unless you get tapped for S&B, but I have found it helpful to be a member of a fraternity.

6. matt22616

matt22616 Senior member

If you have the opportunity to do so, go for it. Some of the best friends and experiences I've ever made wouldn't have come to be were it not for my joining a fraternity.

Essentially, what do you have to lose? I can almost guarantee you it's not nearly as much as you have to gain.

7. unjung

unjung Senior member

If you have the opportunity to do so, go for it. Some of the best friends and experiences I've ever made wouldn't have come to be were it not for my joining a fraternity.

Essentially, what do you have to lose? I can almost guarantee you it's not nearly as much as you have to gain.

I'll second this as well. I am very close friends with a half dozen fraternity Brothers and still in regular contact with a dozen more, and am welcomed whenever I visit Chapter. Conversely I see my GDI friends on Facebook have had to make brand new friends post-uni in many cases... their friendships were based on uni, nothing more, and didn't follow them. The fraternity friendships are based on something deeper than having some classes together.

8. rjmaiorano

rjmaiorano Senior member

I was never a member of a frat, but this is a good point.

9. HgaleK

HgaleK Senior member

It'll get you laid if you're ugly.

10. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I did not join a frat and I don't regret it one iota.

11. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

I'm not close to most of the guys from my fraternity (graduated 5 years ago) but I had a blast and improved a lot as a person. So I'd recommend it. Don't let the distractions fuck with your grades though.

12. Another New Yorker

Another New Yorker Senior member

Frat. In college now, loving every bit of it.

13. whallyden

whallyden Senior member

It was a no brainer for me: automatic social calendar, housing, chef, and cleaning service.

14. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

Would do it again in a heartbeat. Opened up social circles & opportunities and the relationships have continued after college.

Just fyi, it's easy to start, but the process of finishing isn't easy by any stretch of the imagination (I'm sure its dif from frat to frat, but you know what I mean). Its only a few months tho and it does end.

15. Another New Yorker

Another New Yorker Senior member

I was never a member of a frat, but this is a good point.

I recall in another thread you saying you were an SAE with an avatar of a facebook picture where "Rush Pike" had 0 fans...