• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To dress like a psychologist...

Dodgeful Artist

Reaction score
Dear members,

I am an extremely new member to SF. To be clear, my membership is no older than the cups of coffee (or whatever) that you're currently drinking. Nonetheless, I wanted to put a question to the forum that has been on my mind for some time.

I work in the mental health field (clinical psychology, neuropsychology). I also enjoy clothes. Given this, I have tried in various ways to explore the murky waters of the male psychologist's dress code in order to guide my "work" clothing choices (i.e., purchases) and integrate a professionally appropriate style of my own.

Having said this, I would be very interested in hearing members' thoughts about what they feel is a minimum standard of dress for their psychologists, therapists, etc. Additionally, I would be interested in hearing from members who work in mental health settings. I would be happy to share links that I have come across on this subject.

To focus this question a bit more, I should point out that I am aware, as are many others here, that dress standards in medical and paramedical professions have trended sharply towards the casual in recent years (e.g., doctors rarely wearing ties, suits far too formal for many clinical professions, etc.). Some of these trends have practical considerations: ties can pick up and transmit bacteria, suits can suggest a power imbalance, etc. However, on the flip side of the coin, a level of formality is often required to convey professional competence. Needless to say, such formality (in my opinion) is best flavoured with flair and not frumpiness.

Your thoughts?

jaxenro

Reaction score
Personally I lean towards business formal in the field you describe. Unless you are in a clinical situation (i.e. a doctor or nurse engaged in actually touching the patient) I would have a lot more trust in a Psychiatrist in a suit and tie then jeans and a T shirt. As you say "a level of formality is often required to convey professional competence" is my thought exactly.

As far a "flair and not frumpiness" I would limit the flair to proper fit, tailoring, and materials. Try to get the best suit you can afford, in more muted tones like navy or grey, and have it properly tailored to fit. Avoid linen in summer, it wrinkles too much to look good at the end of a long day, and go with a lighter weight wool or blend. Given the prevalence of air conditioning it shouldn't be an issue. Keep your accessories muted as well, simple ties, plain pocket square if you like that.

Or go with a sports coat and complimentary trousers but leave the wild patterns and colors for outside the office. Again get the jacket tailored to fit and accessorize with simple plain items of good quality.

It is interesting that you suggest that "suits can suggest a power imbalance" as in a way this should work for you. You need to establish a level of trust with your patients but also a subtle suggestion that your opinion is valued to them and people tend to value the opinion of those that are in a authority position over them. Suits or sports coats can suggest that without overtly trying to establish dominance.

In short your dress, and body language, should portray professional competence and a belief in yourself for me to believe it as well

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it walks like a duck but wears a suit....

Seriously, leave conservative suits and white pocket squares for situations where most colleagues are dressed up. Otherwise, the look is apt to come across as corporate and impersonal. As a psychologist, any suit or long tie probably is too formal for interacting with patients. Except in socks and maybe sweaters, black is not a clothing color to wear for psychology.

The bare workplace minimum for that field is collared shirt and chinos/corduroys.

The open question is, Clinical or not?

Last edited:

jaxenro

Reaction score
Sorry I was thinking psychiatrist not psychologist. Although I have spent quite s bit of time in the offices of both (accompanying patients not as one) and I tend to prefer the ones who wear a tie they have seemed more capable. And I wouldn’t recommend a black anything but a tweed sports coat has a warm feel to it

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You will want to be comfortable but professional. I would recommend collared shirts in basic colors which can be alternated with long sleeve cashmere or wool polo knits and turtlenecks in winter worn under sport coats, with wool trousers and for shoes derbys and loafers. Nothing should be "showy" (no pocket squares, "fun" socks, etc., stick with classics so that the focus is on your patient conversations while projecting a smart, pro appearance. Whatever you do, don't wear a polo shirt and khakis.

brthst

Reaction score
Maybe I missed something but I'm not clear on the setting you're working in and patient population your'e treating. Are you conducting neuropsych testing and/or psychotherapy? What parts of you are visible to your patients, i.e., are you behind a desk or primarily fully observable from shoes to the hair on your head?
In any case, for whatever this is worth, I considered the psychology of what I wear (colors, tie or no tie, etc.) and coordinate that with the style of treatment I work with and socioeconomics of my patients. My work wardrobe is based on simple solid colors, though some of my ties have a subtle pattern, such as small dots or other shapes. I also avoid clothes that suggest a particular designer or price point. Nothing that will distract from the work or bring attention to myself, although naturally every patient will project in their own way. But also with the desire to convey a professionalism and respect for the work. However, if my patients were primarily artists, then I might dress differently.

jaxenro

Reaction score
I think it also depends on who you are and what your comfortable with. I know one psychiatrist we saw on a professional level for over a year who always wore three peice suits usually charcoal or navy stripe. It fit him and who he was and we felt very comfortable with him dressed like that it seemed professional yet I don’t remember ever seeing one of his patients with even a tie on.

Dodgeful Artist

Reaction score
You will want to be comfortable but professional. I would recommend collared shirts in basic colors which can be alternated with long sleeve cashmere or wool polo knits and turtlenecks in winter worn under sport coats, with wool trousers and for shoes derbys and loafers. Nothing should be "showy" (no pocket squares, "fun" socks, etc., stick with classics so that the focus is on your patient conversations while projecting a smart, pro appearance. Whatever you do, don't wear a polo shirt and khakis.
Interestingly enough, I work with a number of clinicians who wear polo shirts and khakis. I haven't much thought about it before - the only thing that irks me wearing jeans in front of patients/clients (yes, some people do this). I'd be interested to know clients' perspectives on more casual forms of clinical workplace dress (e.g., polo shirts and khakis).

Dodgeful Artist

Reaction score
I think it also depends on who you are and what your comfortable with. I know one psychiatrist we saw on a professional level for over a year who always wore three peice suits usually charcoal or navy stripe. It fit him and who he was and we felt very comfortable with him dressed like that it seemed professional yet I don’t remember ever seeing one of his patients with even a tie on.
That's amazing. I have never seen any kind of physician wear a three-piece suit EVER. But hey, if you can pull it off...

Dodgeful Artist

Reaction score
Maybe I missed something but I'm not clear on the setting you're working in and patient population your'e treating. Are you conducting neuropsych testing and/or psychotherapy? What parts of you are visible to your patients, i.e., are you behind a desk or primarily fully observable from shoes to the hair on your head?
In any case, for whatever this is worth, I considered the psychology of what I wear (colors, tie or no tie, etc.) and coordinate that with the style of treatment I work with and socioeconomics of my patients. My work wardrobe is based on simple solid colors, though some of my ties have a subtle pattern, such as small dots or other shapes. I also avoid clothes that suggest a particular designer or price point. Nothing that will distract from the work or bring attention to myself, although naturally every patient will project in their own way. But also with the desire to convey a professionalism and respect for the work. However, if my patients were primarily artists, then I might dress differently.
I do mostly assessments (neuropsych, psychoed) and some intervention. In my experience, the patient/client will get a full glimpse of you at some point, even if it's only during greetings. Nonetheless, I totally agree with you on avoiding anything ostentatious or suggestive of expense, as it risks shifting focus away from the client and undermining the work. I imagine that you work in a private practice or a hospital?

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's amazing. I have never seen any kind of physician wear a three-piece suit EVER. But hey, if you can pull it off...

Not common but the physicians at the Mayo Clinic wear suit or jacket and tie instead of a white coat. I also knew plenty of physicians at the Massachusetts General Hospital who wore suits. It is very much an institutional practice.

jaxenro

Reaction score
I couldn’t picture him in anything else. You all seem to be looking at this from the Dr side I am on the patient side

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife was married to a Ph.D. psychologist. She also had a counseling background. They ran a lucrative practice specializing in vocational rehabilitation of injured workers, for which the state provided very generous benefits in those days. I believe she has told me that he typically wore conservative business dress--dark suits and tie. However, he died almost 30 years ago, which is why she is married to me and not him. Things may have changed since then.

jaxenro

Reaction score
Personally if we went to see a psychiatrist and he didn’t have a minimum jacket and tie we would probably leave. Psychologist I might give a little more slack to

wigglr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally if we went to see a psychiatrist and he didn’t have a minimum jacket and tie we would probably leave. Psychologist I might give a little more slack to

I work at the top psychiatric hospital in the country and would say you're destined to be largely disappointed

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads