• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To dimple or not dimple

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've noticed that hardly anyone I see dimples their ties, especially while wearing a wider, Windsor knot. I love the way the dimple looks and do it to all my knots, even on the bad days where I can't get it right in the middle and it ends up being on one side or the other. (Sometimes the sloppiness seems to work somehow too, so I leave it.)

What do you all prefer, especially with the full Windsor?

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A dimple also helps to arch the tie properly.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what does "forward thrust" mean?

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What do you think about the thrust/inverted dimple. I think it looks kinda crappy, but it seems to be the most popular way.

Instead of dimpling the bottom of the knot, poofing it outward is what I meant by 'thrust' sorry.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
What do you think about the thrust/inverted dimple. I think it looks kinda crappy, but it seems to be the most popular way.

Instead of dimpling the bottom of the knot, poofing it outward is what I meant by 'thrust' sorry.

you mean double dimple?
img_stile_cravatta.jpg

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Like the middle of that double dimple, but with no dimples at all. Just convex.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Renault78law
you mean double dimple?
img_stile_cravatta.jpg

If this is what was meant by "thrust", I would have to change my answer to that one. I don't like my dimple to be centered and I like assymetry, so I always form the dimple on one side or the other (but only rarely both like that picture)

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
Like the middle of that double dimple, but with no dimples at all. Just convex.

wow - I'm completely lost. I have no idea what you mean now

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always dimple, but I'm going to start experimenting with the pleated look ("double dimple") shown by Renault78law with some of my lighter-weight ties.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I sorta thought double-dimpling was definitely substandard--a real sartorial faux pas--although I have noticed the some of my ties seem to have a real propensity for double-dimpling. I can remember that when I met Andy Gilchrist for lunch, I was very embarrassed that my necktie was double-dimpled.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hey gdl203, imagine tying one with no dimple and then pinching the bottom of the knot so it bumps outward. I tried tying one just now like that myself to snap a pic of but I couldn't do it! I guess dimples are unavoidable b/c of my left handed freakishness or I just need practice (Not that I will, I don't like the way it looks anyway.)

Perhaps what I've seen are the double dimple but with the dimples on the sides so small that I haven't noticed them. What is noticeable is the prominent bulge outward in the middle by pinching.

I don't know what the correct name for it is, or if there even is one, but I saw one site describe it as "thrust" and liked that term.

A description from this site

Personally, I have to wonder why you would want the dimple at all, from a dress-for-success standpoint. You rarely see the dimple at the CEO level, where they favor the forward thrust of the lower part of the knot. My guess is that when they see the dimple in their mirror in the morning, they stick their thumb up under the back of the knot and push it out. Nice and assertive.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Renault78law
you mean double dimple?
img_stile_cravatta.jpg

That looks like a failed knot, something that I'd retie.

Here's a photo of AlanC's beautifully executed double dimple, though he claims it was happenstance.

weddingcrop0kx.jpg

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm definately a fan of the single dimple, although a tie is an organic thing; some simply have natural tendency to default into a double dimple.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads