1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

To dimple or not dimple

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by javyn, Jun 8, 2006.

1. javyn

javyn Senior member

I've noticed that hardly anyone I see dimples their ties, especially while wearing a wider, Windsor knot. I love the way the dimple looks and do it to all my knots, even on the bad days where I can't get it right in the middle and it ends up being on one side or the other. (Sometimes the sloppiness seems to work somehow too, so I leave it.)

What do you all prefer, especially with the full Windsor?

2. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

A dimple also helps to arch the tie properly.

3. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

what does "forward thrust" mean?

4. javyn

javyn Senior member

What do you think about the thrust/inverted dimple. I think it looks kinda crappy, but it seems to be the most popular way.

Instead of dimpling the bottom of the knot, poofing it outward is what I meant by 'thrust' sorry.

5. Renault78law

Renault78law Senior member

What do you think about the thrust/inverted dimple. I think it looks kinda crappy, but it seems to be the most popular way.

Instead of dimpling the bottom of the knot, poofing it outward is what I meant by 'thrust' sorry.

you mean double dimple?
    [​IMG]

6. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

It seems to me it's because most people's tie knots are too limp. This is a sort of thrust: [​IMG]

7. javyn

javyn Senior member

Like the middle of that double dimple, but with no dimples at all. Just convex.

8. gdl203

you mean double dimple?
    [​IMG]

If this is what was meant by "thrust", I would have to change my answer to that one. I don't like my dimple to be centered and I like assymetry, so I always form the dimple on one side or the other (but only rarely both like that picture)

9. gdl203

Like the middle of that double dimple, but with no dimples at all. Just convex.

wow - I'm completely lost. I have no idea what you mean now

10. thinman

thinman Senior member

I always dimple, but I'm going to start experimenting with the pleated look ("double dimple") shown by Renault78law with some of my lighter-weight ties.

11. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

I sorta thought double-dimpling was definitely substandard--a real sartorial faux pas--although I have noticed the some of my ties seem to have a real propensity for double-dimpling. I can remember that when I met Andy Gilchrist for lunch, I was very embarrassed that my necktie was double-dimpled.

12. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

13. javyn

javyn Senior member

Hey gdl203, imagine tying one with no dimple and then pinching the bottom of the knot so it bumps outward. I tried tying one just now like that myself to snap a pic of but I couldn't do it! I guess dimples are unavoidable b/c of my left handed freakishness or I just need practice (Not that I will, I don't like the way it looks anyway.)

Perhaps what I've seen are the double dimple but with the dimples on the sides so small that I haven't noticed them. What is noticeable is the prominent bulge outward in the middle by pinching.

I don't know what the correct name for it is, or if there even is one, but I saw one site describe it as "thrust" and liked that term.

A description from this site

14. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

you mean double dimple?
    [​IMG]

That looks like a failed knot, something that I'd retie.

Here's a photo of AlanC's beautifully executed double dimple, though he claims it was happenstance.

[​IMG]

15. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Senior member

I'm definately a fan of the single dimple, although a tie is an organic thing; some simply have natural tendency to default into a double dimple.

16. bachbeet

bachbeet Senior member

Dimples. It's really the only good look for a tie.

17. javyn

javyn Senior member

Kind of off topic, but I'm wondering, what in the hell can I do with my black tie that doesn't match any of my other blacks? I bought this back when I was thinking all black is the same. I can't really find anything it goes with. The idea was to wear it with my black suit for funerals.

N/M I'm just being obsessive...the mismatch isn't that noticeable

18. gdl203

Kind of off topic, but I'm wondering, what in the hell can I do with my black tie that doesn't match any of my other blacks? I bought this back when I was thinking all black is the same. I can't really find anything it goes with. The idea was to wear it with my black suit for funerals.

N/M I'm just being obsessive...the mismatch isn't that noticeable

Wear it with lighter shade shirts (lighter blue, pink...) and light-to-medium grey or navy coats/suits (medium grey will look better than a dark charcoal).

Check out Andrew H's auctions on eBay - he always seems to show his coats and suits with a black tie... Here are a couple ox examples:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Jovan

Jovan Senior member

I always dimple, though I'm not really a fan of the full Windsor. If anything I'll do a half Windsor, but my preference lies with the four in hand. Imperfect beauty is the best way to say why I like it the most.

20. Charley

Charley Senior member

There is no way to tie a tight knot that does not dimple.

Limp knots are for limps.

Center dimple is the better way to do it.