• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To cuff or not to cuff?

boltzmann

Reaction score
I just bought two suits with flat front pants. What will look best, cuffing the pants or getting them without cuffs? The width at the bottom of the pants is 8.4". For what it's worth, I'm 5'11", 160, with a rather short inseam ~30". Thanks.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I would say it is up to you, but if you feel that you are short legged and long torsoed you might want to opt for no cuffs as it extends the line of the trousers making your legs appear longer.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer the look of cuffs, and at least in theory the weight of the cuff may help the pants hang a little better. If the pants were pleated, I'd very strongly prefer cuffs. As they're plain front, I simply strongly prefer cuffs.

If you have short legs, perhaps go for a 1.25" cuff, instead of something like 1.75".

But what you're really asking is "Do you like cuffs?" There are folks who do, and others who don't. So just decide for yourself which look you prefer, and then go with that.
--
Michael

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't like cuffs with flat front trousers - only exceptions are trousers made from flannel or tweed.

Booter

Reaction score
Cuff one, no-cuff the other (trouser, not leg)

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mac
I do 2" cuffs on everything. Maybe 1.75" for you"”anything less is ****.

laugh.gif

I prefer cuffs on most of my pants, but I have a few suits that I think look better with uncuffed pant hems. Namely a sleek navy 2 button that is very well fitted, cuffs would just look odd on those pants.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't do cuffs, but they look good on some people.

For whatever reason, I'm tempted to do cuffs whenever I come across a pair of tweed or heavier wool pants--but I always change my mind at the last minute.

Some people know how to rock them: I'm not one of those people.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlexE
I don't like cuffs with flat front trousers - only exceptions are trousers made from flannel or tweed.
I generally agree with this wisdom.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Yachting Man

Reaction score
My stature is similar to yours OP. Except I'm a little taller 6' 1".

Typically I avoid cuffs like the plague, but if you're going to do it be a man and get 2" cuffs.

YM

Doc4

Reaction score
Your choice, but no-cuff will probably look better. Tailors tend to suggest cuffing pleated pants and non cuffing flat-fronts, but that's not a 'rule'.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads