To cuff or not to cuff........slacks

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by KobeMan, Nov 28, 2002.

1. KobeMan

KobeMan Member

I'm purchasing several new suits and I'm debating whether or not to cuff the pants.  For your info, the pants are pleated. I know traditionally, pleated pants should be cuffed. But I'm not exactly the most traditional conservative guy and this also applies to my style. It seems that non-cuffed suit-pants, or non-cuffed pants in general gives a more modern chic look? please advise?

I should also add, that I've noticed most people now in corporate wearing cuffless pants. And I'm talking about young successful co-workers and peers mindful of their style.

2. MikeF

MikeF Senior member

In my humble opinion, uncuffed, pleated suit pants provide a "I don't know how to dress myself" look, similar to that acheived by buttoning up all the buttons on a suit jacket.

3. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

I agree with Mike. I think plain fronts should be uncuffed, and pleated pants, whether part of a suit or not, should always be cuffed.

4. Renwick

Renwick Senior member

I say it depends on the style of the suit more than the pleats. A less conservative suit can be worn with no cuff. I personally don't really like cuffs.

5. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Cuffs are designed to give the leg a fuller look. With this in mind, I would cuff pleated pants, and with a full break, since pleats are included, in part, for the same reason. For similar reasons, I would not include pleats on slim, flat front pants. I have to confess, though, that I sometimes break this rule for lightweight "three season" suits with single pleats on the pants, in which case I sometimes opt for the non-pleated look.

6. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

I also think it depends on the cut of the suit. Uncuffed pants on a 3-button look rather nice, I think.

7. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Senior member

I have single pleats on the trousers of a charcoal Corneliani suit that I haven't gotten tailored yet. I was all set on getting them cuffed, but now you guys are making me rethink it. [​IMG] This is definitely a 'dress' suit, but I think it's versatile enough to wear with a great shirt/tie as well as collared knits. Hmmmm... I imagine I'll get them cuffed in the end.

8. Renwick

Renwick Senior member

If I were you I'd go with cuffs, the only single pleat pants I have that are not cuffed are not that conservative (Prada, Gucci, etc.). If you have more than one pleat ALWAYS get cuffs, IMO.