• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

to cream or not to cream? Shoes

jjgold

Reaction score
Ok i have shoe cream and I have shoe polish. Yes this is a stupid topic but I am anal! Do you guys apply the proper colored shoe cream to shoes and let dry before polishing? Example:

Step 1. Clean shoes with damp cloth.
Step 2. Apply correct shoe cream color and rub in
Step 3. THEN polish with polish and a little more water, more polish, buff, edge dressing?

Do you use the cream?

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's how I usually do it.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Make sure to remove the exess cream before using wax. Give it fifteen minutes or so, then buff, then do the wax routine.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
Make sure to remove the exess cream before using wax. Give it fifteen minutes or so, then buff, then do the wax routine.

I usually don't give it that much time. I give that much time before I buff the wax though.

tom288

Reaction score
If the opportunity ever arises for me to cream I always take it...and as far as your shoes go what they said...

jjgold

Reaction score
I know I am a moron but ok so apply cream with a dauber, let sit for 15 min, wipe excess with cloth, let sit a little longer, buff, polish!? Correct?

gj555

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jjgold
I know I am a moron but ok so apply cream with a dauber, let sit for 15 min, wipe excess with cloth, let sit a little longer, buff, polish!? Correct?

Do you find it hard to get off the excess when you let it sit that long? I find my shoes can get blotchy if I let the excess sit.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gj555
Do you find it hard to get off the excess when you let it sit that long? I find my shoes can get blotchy if I let the excess sit.

Use a horsehair brush, and it will be easy and even. After that, buff with a soft cloth.

Sartorially Challenged

Reaction score
I thought one was supposed to use either cream or wax polish, not both. Isn't using both overkill? What is the benefit of doing so?

gj555

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
Use a horsehair brush, and it will be easy and even. After that, buff with a soft cloth.

I do. I still find it difficult if you let it sit too long. It takes a lot of brushing.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jjgold

Don't use a dauber, you waste too much; instead, use a cloth ie. an old tee shirt socks etc.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I almost always shine my own shoes.

The two time I have gotten my shoes shined by my shoe repair guy, he used:
1. colored shoe cream
2. brisk brush with wetted brushes
3. wax with wetted rag
4. brisk buffing
5. clear cream
6. more brisk buffing

So, he goes colored crea, wax, then this clear stuff. The result is amazing. The shiniest shoes I've ever seen.

johnnyblazini

Reaction score
I usually let the shoes sit for about 60 seconds and clean them off. I polish after. Perhaps there is something to waiting between the creaming and polishing...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads