"to catch a thief"

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jamesbond, Mar 18, 2005.

1. jamesbond

jamesbond Senior member

does anyone know if the red/white polka dot thing around grants neck in the begining of the movie is a scarf or ascot? it seems to be very wide/high around the back of his neck and i thought ascots were skinny around the back.

2. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Scarf.

3. jamesbond

jamesbond Senior member

4. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

i was going to suggest maybe it was a turtleneck, but manton seems pretty certain so i'll defer.

funny, i was just watching that movie a couple days ago. it's on my tivo; i'm only halfway through because i got sleepy.

that striped 'french fisherman' shirt he wears sure doesn't translate well to the small screen. lots of moire shimmer.

/andrew

5. Jill

Jill Senior member

Faustian ~ I know at least half the population didn't notice the moire. Cary Grant looks strikingly handsome throughout this picture. One of my favorites, for that reason alone. It's the first thing that made me ever want to visit the South of France. His little beachy-type attire only added to the flavor, IMO.

But OK, I'll admit, it does look better on a VERY large screen. But who's really looking?.

6. faustian bargain

well, grace kelly was no slouch either.

i would love to visit monaco. the backdrop of this film is really pretty stunning.

7. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I believe Grace Kelly died in the location where the film's car scene was filmed.

8. naturlaut

naturlaut Senior member

I love Grace Kelly's wardrobe in the movie too.

9. armscye

armscye Senior member

One of my favorite films of all time. The script says that cat burglar John Robie is early thirties and muscular. Grant played it to perfection in his mid-forties without muscles but with complete feline smoothness of movement (watch him descend the stairs of his villa in a hurry as the police arrive). Grace Kelly is improbably beautiful in every scene.

The DVD of this film has a long "Making of..." vignette that discusses the clothing for the film, as well as its costume designer. The costumes were by the great Edith Head, who loved to do male costumes for dancers like Danny Kaye, but had no involvement with Grant's clothing. He started filming on Day One wearing a (presumably Brooks) buttondown, but the French script girl commented that no one in France wore BD shirts, and Hitchcock compelled a wardrobe change to the scarf/pullover combination. This despite the script explicitly stating that Robie is a transplanted American.

The suits and tux were Grant's own, which may mean that they were Kilgour or, if I'm recalling his California tailor postwar correctly, Hollywood tailor Sy Devore.

10. faustian bargain

(faustian bargain @ Mar. 18 2005,21:42) well, grace kelly was no slouch either. i would love to visit monaco. the backdrop of this film is really pretty stunning.
    I believe Grace Kelly died in the location where the film's car scene was filmed.
    interesting. the presenter of the movie as i watched it (on TCM, i think) did relate the trivia that she and the Prince began their relationship just a few months after the movie was filmed. /andrew

11. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

When I first saw "Rear Window" as a kid (I was maybe 10), I thought that Grace Kelly was the most beautiful woman I had ever seen. I later dismissed that impression as having improved with the memory. And then I saw "Rear Window" again a few months ago. I now am convinced that the 10 year old me knew what he was talking about: Grace Kelly in that movie is still the most beautiful woman I've ever seen. Not really relevant to anything, but I thought that I'd share. Edit: Oh, yeah. She wasn't bad in "To Catch a Thief" either.

12. Jill

Jill Senior member

OK, we're getting way off topic now. But I recall hearing years ago that Grant's early years were spent in vaudevillian performance, which would contribute to his brilliant physical comedy in other pictures.
    I have to agree. Do you have any idea how much I would pay for a nose like that..?? [​IMG]

13. faustian bargain

i'm sure a plastic surgeon could tell you exactly how much. [​IMG]

14. Jill

Jill Senior member

OK, y'all, start buying more ties, now.. Â [​IMG]

15. oldskool

oldskool Senior member