1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

To boot/shoe help

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by bigbadbuff, Jul 25, 2003.

1. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Senior member

I am ready to move a step up in the dress shoe department. As of now, the oxfords and loafers are made by Skechers, JCrew, Kenneth Cole. While not bad, they're as you all know not great either. Since I can't bring myself to shell $300+ for shoes right now, I wanted opinions on makers who fall inbetween the ones I mentioned and the high ends like Ferragamo, Tods, Churches. To Boot seems to make nice shoes, all leather and classic styles for around/under $200. Would they compare more with the high or low end shoes? Any other makers one can suggest? I plan on trying on a few pairs of Ferragamos, etc. I like next time I can so I'll know my size for Ebay watching.

2. TheBee'sKnees

TheBee'sKnees Member

In that range, I'm a big fan of Mezlan. Well-made, durable, stylish, fashion-forward (sometimes a bit too fashion-forward, so choose wisely; much of their stuff is simply too exotic to be wearable), Italian-style with Spanish (they're made in Spain) prices. I wear their shoes with most of my suits.

Check out their website (mezlanshoes.com, and they also have a nice selection at nordstrom.com)

3. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

Friedman's in Atlanta has a pretty good selection, too. www.largefeet.com. Usually some Internet specials.

4. incognitius

incognitius Active Member

I picked up a nice pair of Ferragamos on eBay.

If you're confident about your sizing, I recommend you puruse the online auctions.

5. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

I own three pairs of To Boot shoes and like them a lot.  I'm no shoe expert, but the leather seems to be of good quality and compares favorably with the Bally and Bruno Magli shoes I own.  They can be bought for under $200 on sale.  Most importantly, To Boot shoes fit my C-width feet very well.  Ferragamo may make a great shoe, but I will never buy a pair because they are cut too narrow for my feet.  You should definitely try before you buy.

6. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Senior member

I echo that sentiment AC. I bought a pair of Ferragamo oxfords off Ebay without ever having tried the brand on... big mistake (though I did resell them for more than I paid). Ferragamos are cut VERY narrow for my flat, wide foot. I understand they make widths but I'd rather find a brand of comparable quality and keep an eye out for those rather than concentrate on the probably rare wide Ferragamo offerings on Ebay or in the stores.