• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To Boot, Adam Derrick shoes

amemovox

Reaction score
First of all, I am a bit older than most of you on this Forum. Just wanted your thoughts on these shoes. I picked them up the other night. Dark brown suede, casual, athletically inspired shoe from Adam Derrick founder of To Boot New York.

These shoes are a dark chocolate brown with red leather interior. They appear to be well made. I am in my mid 50's and will not try to emulate guys in their 20's or 30's. Frankly, most guys my age dress like old men.

The fact these shoes were suede, sleek and modern persuaded me to buy them.
Seems that the stores are full of sale priced Cole Haan, Diesel, Steven Madden and other casual sneaker type shoes.

Let me know your gut level, candid responses to these shoes. Thanks

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm nearly 15 years your junior and sort of like them.

On these boards, people get into the details of construction of dress shoes, but the construction of this sort of shoe matters less, as you are unlikely to have the resoled, etc.

One style issue for me is the contrasting stitch patterns in the toe box, which is trying to be cool but not quite making it.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mack11211
One style issue for me is the contrasting stitch patterns in the toe box, which is trying to be cool but not quite making it.

This is my main reason for disliking the shoes - they criss-crossing seems to break up the "neatness" of the design, if you will.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't like them. They strike me distinctly as the kind of sneaker a cobbler would make if he had never seen a sneaker.

Admittedly, you're at least two and a half times older than me, but I don't think that should necessarily stop you from wearing stuff like slimmer jeans and modern sneakers. It depends greatly on how you wear it and what your style is like. That may not be what you want, of course, and that's alright, but these, in particular, do not sit well with me.

Analog

Reaction score
I think the shoes have a sleek silhouette, like a lot of ToBoot footwear I've seen. I think its more important to see the kind of outfit/look your going to be wearing them with.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair from Puma that is very similar. I normally use them for driving or just kicking about town with jeans. So, I like them because they're sporty, but don't look like a pair of sneakers. I don't know how you plan to wear them, but I think they'll go great with jeans or really casual clothing.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
I don't like them. They strike me distinctly as the kind of sneaker a cobbler would make if he had never seen a sneaker.

Admittedly, you're at least two and a half times older than me, but I don't think that should necessarily stop you from wearing stuff like slimmer jeans and modern sneakers. It depends greatly on how you wear it and what your style is like. That may not be what you want, of course, and that's alright, but these, in particular, do not sit well with me.

I think they are a particular fusion of sneaker and trad shoe style that came up in Italy about 10 years ago, influenced perhaps by some other athletic shoes like bicyling shoes.

The basic style is good, and widely worn, at least by non-youth. For some cleaner versions of the style, check the Certo and Sutor Mantelassi models on Virtual Clothes Horse.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw those on VCH once. Scared the hell out of me.

minya

Reaction score
They look like bowling shoes (and like Steve Maddens). Completely unappealing.

You'd be a lot better served by some more classic sneakers imho.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by minya
They look like bowling shoes (and like Steve Maddens). Completely unappealing.

You'd be a lot better served by some more classic sneakers imho.

Actually, I think they're modeled after old cycling shoes. Old school man, before sneakers were sneakers.

minhi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Actually, I think they're modeled after old cycling shoes. Old school man, before sneakers were sneakers.

i have a pair of sidi touring cycling shoes (imagine road cycling shoes, just with a basic sole and much more relaxed, low tech styling) that look very similiar to these. i like them, the slim look of the puma speed cats in a shoe that looks more comfortable.

i think they're too casual (even for business casual) but they're a good break from the tsubo (which i think are ugly) or even onitsuka (which i kind of like, have a pair).

how much did they cost?

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like them and think that they'll look great with jeans. Off your feet, posed and set in the middle of a photograph, they look a lot more dramatic than they would whenever anywould would look down at them while being worn under a pair of jeans. At that level, I think they'd look nice, subtle, and decidedly sleek. They remind me of some of my Jil Sander Pumas.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads