• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To Bean Boot or not to Bean Boot...

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's that time of year...winter. A few weeks ago I got caught in that horrible snow/slush mess we got here in NYC with my leather soled Allen Edmonds Park Avenue's
plain.gif
and vowed to never let it happen again.

That said I've been looking into some kind of appropriate footwear to use in heavy rain/snow/ice/slush and it seems like everything points me to a Duck Boot or more specifically, the Bean Boot.

Is there anything I should know about these boots other than to go a size down. Any reason to go 10in, 8in, insulated, etc? Or is that all personal preference? How are they comfort wise?

Any other alternatives other than overshoes? I'd like to keep it under $120 if possible.

Thanks!

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about ordering a pair as well after the NYC snowstorm the other week. I was walking around for 3 hours doing last minute Christmas shopping - not fun. I'm leaning towards these: http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/sto...tn&cat4=502767 Since I'm a 10 or 10.5 C (depending on shoe) sounds like I'd be fine in a 10 narrow. Best, David

Cid

Reaction score
I have had a pair of Bean Boots for nearly 20 years. My experience has been that they are a great value. Bean used to offer free repairs/resoling for life, which I have taken advantage of once.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like to wear wellies.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For winter wear, I alternate between 2 pairs of Red Wing GTs (dry conditions), some Acton Joule overshoes for snowy days when I'm wearing dress shoes to the office

3231-11.jpg

and finally, I have some Sorel 1964 Pac as well as Sorel Mounty boots for days when it's dumping snow outside.

I highly recommend Sorel 1964 Pac boots (with or without the fur trim liner), they're super warm, even on the coldest days and remarkably lightwight given their bulkyness. Buy them in your usual dress shoe size; they're made roomy to acommodate wear with thick wool socks.

ccffm1

Reaction score
I used to have a pair of Bean Boots. They entered Nirvana about three years ago, but I have to say that I was very satisfied with them. I´d definitely buy them again, but at the moment I´m just too cheap to stomach shipping costs to Germany.

doink

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RLlikes
I have had a pair of Bean Boots for nearly 20 years. My experience has been that they are a great value. Bean used to offer free repairs/resoling for life, which I have taken advantage of once.

I had new rubber bottoms put on mine about 6 years ago and had to pay for it. Still cheaper than new boots, especially considering the uppers were in perfect shape and continue to be nearly 10 years after buying them.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the info everyone. I will look into those 1964 Pac boots for my super crazy blizzard and ski trip winter wear. I'm going to jump on a pair of 10" Bean Boots with the Thinsulate while they still have my size.

Catechumen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by doink
I had new rubber bottoms put on mine about 6 years ago and had to pay for it. Still cheaper than new boots, especially considering the uppers were in perfect shape and continue to be nearly 10 years after buying them.

Were you expecting new rubber bottoms to be put on your Bean boots for free?

doink

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Catechumen
Were you expecting new rubber bottoms to be put on your Bean boots for free?

No, I am just relaying my experience in relation to the one above that mentioned they would resole for free.

Catechumen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by doink
No, I am just relaying my experience in relation to the one above that mentioned they would resole for free.

Yes, you're right - sorry. I didn't read the earlier posting carefully enough.

My recollection of L.L. Bean goes back 30 years and I neever reall them offering to attach new bottoms to their Maine Hunting Shoes (Bean Boots) for free.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I love my Bean boots. I have the Gore-Tex 8" and they're great in snow and rain. I was worried about my feet overheating due to the insulation but it is fine.

Keon

Reaction score
Anyone know a good winter city boot? For snow/slush and the fact that my city overdoes it with the salt on the sidewalk.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads