• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To be over dressed or to be underdressed, that is the question.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The question says it all dosen't it? It was at an office part recently more casual than usual, that i was a bit overdressed. One of my close employee's and friends pointed it out to me and say said come to think of it i can recall a time you werent the best dressed in the room or at least acted a ssuch. We argued for a bit and he cam eot the conclusion that i can't stand to be under dressed, of course he was right but I disagreed with him none the less for the sake of a good agrument. My question is to you is weither you prefer to be underdressed or overdressed, or do you simply not care either way how you rank amoungst other fashion wise?

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends on the ocassion.

Sometimes I wear a suit and people feel intimidated, or at least wonder why I'm so dressed up. I guess I'll stick with a shirt and tie now.

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'd rather be overdressed all the time, sometimes i feel like i am already. As Ashton Kutcher once pointed out, "You can never be overdressed. If anyone tells you you're overdressed, they're UNDERdressed." I feel society as a whole has become far too casual in their sartorial choices, it's a shame really.

Zahir

Reaction score
Overdressed. I usually try to be at least one degree of magnitude more dressed up than would be necessary in a given situation. That way you stand out as someone who actually cares about how they present themselves. Of course, the trick is not to be TOO overdressed, otherwise you look costumy. It doesn't do to show up to a barbecue in a morning coat and top hat.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am the same way, if I am going somewhere where the men will wear shirts and ties I would wear a suit and so on in that fashion.

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear a suit and tie or jacket and tie every day and in my profession as a journalist that is over dressed, but I couldn't care less. Neither does anyone else it appears. I was at an Australian football match the other day at a ground undergoing extensive renovations and stood around on a dirty building site with guys in hard hats watching players on the ground. I had a suit, tie, pocket square and neither the workers nor the players I interviewed gave me a second look. I think people are sometimes unnecessarily afraid of dressing well.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
I have the to question the reality:fantasy ratio of StyleForum.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With being over dressed you can always take items off. Take off the tie and jacket and you just have a shirt and trousers.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There is never a bad time to look good or a good time to look bad.

Underdressed raises the question of do you not care or do you simply not know any better. Well dressed is respected as long as there is no attitude of superiority.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I generally prefer to overdress, but in my profession this doesn't take much. The bar is pretty low. And unfortunately, I think the advice that "one should dress conservatively so as not to rock the boat if he wants to be taken seriously" applies even in very casual hipster business environments. However, sometimes I just don't give a $h*t and dress the way I want to. Kiss my hand-stitched, fully-canvassed, fatte e mano-ed ass you slackers.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've always felt uncomfortable, even embarrassed, if I'm underdressed for an occasion. I don't mind being overdressed but if I find myself too overdressed, then I'll take off the tie or jacket.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fade to Black
As Ashton Kutcher once pointed out, "You can never be overdressed. If anyone tells you you're overdressed, they're UNDERdressed." I feel society as a whole has become far too casual in their sartorial choices, it's a shame really.

If Ashton Kutcher said it, is must be true.

If you're wearing a 3-pc suit and tie when 99% of people are wearing dress pants and a dress shirt... does that mean that you're the only one properly dressed, and they're all poorly dressed, or vice-versa?

Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
I have the to question the reality:fantasy ratio of StyleForum.

Statement of the year.

---

It's curious that there's no option for "appropriately dressed"

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fade to Black
i'd rather be overdressed all the time, sometimes i feel like i am already. As Ashton Kutcher once pointed out, "You can never be overdressed. If anyone tells you you're overdressed, they're UNDERdressed." I feel society as a whole has become far too casual in their sartorial choices, it's a shame really.

I agree, If Ashton Kutcher said it, it is written in stone.

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my point wasn't that Ashton's word is the gospel, but simply he made a statement i agree with. At the end of the day, wear what you want...i would show up to a club in a hoodie and sneakers or a suit all the same. I don't see why it's a bad thing to be the only three piece in a sea of shirts and slacks. Neither is "properly" or "poorly" dressed, it just comes down to personal preference, looking out of place doesn't bother me so much.

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
to add to that, i don't see why it's necessarily a problem to be 'underdressed' either, even though it's not something i would strive for...a good example i can think of is your average nightclub. Never really bothered with their dress codes, if anything it serves to facilitate a bland uniformity of sorts. If you're confident and comfortable, you can get in the door no matter what you wear (at least from my personal experience).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads