• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To all the successful, experienced members - Was it all worth it?

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try to delegate as much direct work responsibilities to others as possible. While you free yourself from doing any actual work , engage in seemingly meaningful projects that will make you visible with upper management. Initiate all sorts of process improvement initiatives. Be a member of every committee imaginable and produce tons of memos and power point presentations. That is how careers are made in corporate America. That is how you boss got where he is now. That is why almost nothing works in this god damned country.
Never walk your office corridors slowly or with empty hands , always have laptop or bunch of papers in your hands to show that you are go-getter.

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Try to delegate as much direct work responsibilities to others as possible. While you free yourself from doing any actual work , engage in seemingly meaningful projects that will make you visible with upper management. Initiate all sorts of process improvement initiatives. Be a member of every committee imaginable and produce tons of memos and power point presentations. That is how careers are made in corporate America. That is how you boss got where he is now. That is why almost nothing works in this god damned country.
Never walk your office corridors slowly or with empty hands , always have laptop or bunch of papers in your hands to show that you are go-getter.

This is known as the "Costanza Method." We all know how well George did in life.

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All I want is the money **** the fame

OP doesn't even know how lucky he is to be at his age and working what seems to be a meaningful, gainful job given today's 'economic climate'

Buy some apartment buildings, invest, and get the $$$$ and stop over thinking ****.

Last edited:

yjeezle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Key point here on how to piss off your direct supervisor: go above him/her and try to impress someone several rungs up the org chart.

^ + supervisor feed back + redboat's suggestion = success.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score

I watched an interview with Jay Z where he put it best: "I'd rather die enormous than live dormant"

What about dying doing something that interests and engages you so much that you forgot to worry about whether you're "enormous"?

Sounds like you have low T. I'm on the far side of 40 and that really does not describe me well.

+1. forties are treating me well. true, I have to adjust my expectations, I can't lift as much as I could at 29 (but I also don't spend 12 hours a week surrounded my smelly men) or run as much as I could at 19 (and, again, I don't live in a tent surrounded my smelly men) but I feel great and keep pretty fit, and I have a lot more sex and amd more comfortable and eat better and dress better etc etc etc

I agree with these other two old guys ^ on this point.

An alternative explanation for why nothings works in some companies is that they're filled with people who spend all their time thinking about strategies for being perceived as successful than just finding something useful and interesting that they're good at and pursuing it.

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Women who put wealth above traditional criteria like personality or even looks are ******* disgusting and I would never want to be with someone like that.

If you really believe that, then your "blind idealist" period has lasted a lot longer than most people's do. Gainful employment and wealth are ALWAY at least as important to women as those other things. The economic climate just makes them more important. Once you accept that, women are easy (literally and figuratively).

Last edited:

bings

Reaction score

If you really believe that, then your "blind idealist" period has lasted a lot longer than most people's do. Gainful employment and wealth are ALWAY at least as important to women as those other things. The economic climate just makes them more important. Once you accept that, women are easy (literally and figuratively).

I'm going to agree with that but coming from a different angle.

A great women deserves to be taken care of and should never NEED to work a day in her adult life... other than child-rearing :)

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'm going to agree with that but coming from a different angle.

A great women deserves to be taken care of and should never NEED to work a day in her adult life... other than child-rearing :)

There's something distastefully patronizing about that.

Last edited:

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
This is a picture of the corner of my living room. You tell me, was it worth it?

And since I know Lawyerdad is curious, heres the link : http://ecosalon.com/5-gorgeous-forwarning-ridiculously-expensive-designer-lamps/

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, those aren't ridiculously expensive, not even close.

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
Last edited:

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score

Lamp? Not feeling it.

Floor and baseboards are !00% love (and maybe a bit of sex too).

The baseboards are a godsend due to the industrious territoriality of our Pomeranian, Gus.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
I like the lamp, although at first glance it looks like it could be made of human bones.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads