1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

To all the successful, experienced members - Was it all worth it?

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by LooksGood, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A
    Try to delegate as much direct work responsibilities to others as possible. While you free yourself from doing any actual work , engage in seemingly meaningful projects that will make you visible with upper management. Initiate all sorts of process improvement initiatives. Be a member of every committee imaginable and produce tons of memos and power point presentations. That is how careers are made in corporate America. That is how you boss got where he is now. That is why almost nothing works in this god damned country.
    Never walk your office corridors slowly or with empty hands , always have laptop or bunch of papers in your hands to show that you are go-getter.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

This is known as the "Costanza Method." We all know how well George did in life.

1 person likes this.
  3. bringusingoodale

bringusingoodale Senior member

All I want is the money fuck the fame

OP doesn't even know how lucky he is to be at his age and working what seems to be a meaningful, gainful job given today's 'economic climate'

Buy some apartment buildings, invest, and get the $$$$ and stop over thinking shit.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  4. yjeezle

yjeezle Senior member

^ + supervisor feed back + redboat's suggestion = success.

5. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

What about dying doing something that interests and engages you so much that you forgot to worry about whether you're "enormous"?

I agree with these other two old guys ^ on this point.
    An alternative explanation for why nothings works in some companies is that they're filled with people who spend all their time thinking about strategies for being perceived as successful than just finding something useful and interesting that they're good at and pursuing it.

6. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

If you really believe that, then your "blind idealist" period has lasted a lot longer than most people's do. Gainful employment and wealth are ALWAY at least as important to women as those other things. The economic climate just makes them more important. Once you accept that, women are easy (literally and figuratively).

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  7. bings

bings Senior member

I'm going to agree with that but coming from a different angle.

A great women deserves to be taken care of and should never NEED to work a day in her adult life... other than child-rearing :)

8. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

There's something distastefully patronizing about that.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
    2 people like this.
  9. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

You need to get out more.

1 person likes this.
  10. redcaimen

redcaimen Senior member

11. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Yeah, those aren't ridiculously expensive, not even close.

12. redcaimen

redcaimen Senior member

How dare you, sir ?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  13. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

14. redcaimen

redcaimen Senior member

The baseboards are a godsend due to the industrious territoriality of our Pomeranian, Gus.

15. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I like the lamp, although at first glance it looks like it could be made of human bones.

16. SkinnyGoomba

Check out eduard-wilfried Buquet in sterling, serge mouille, Tiffany, Greta grossman (of the era) and arredoluce.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  17. yerfdog

yerfdog Senior member

18. redcaimen

redcaimen Senior member

19. SkinnyGoomba

20. burgess007

burgess007 Member

To answer your question, yes and no. I'm definitely not near the age criteria you set (just turned 30), but am comfortably earning the right salary. Net worth isn't there yet, mostly because I tend to live right towards the edge of my means.

Growing up, my family wasn't poor, but they weren't well-off either. When I first started pulling in serious money, it was such a rush. Being able to go out and outright purchase things that would've taken my father several years to save for is extremely thrilling, but it gets old pretty fast. Now, it feels more like I'm just buying things to keep up with the people in my social circle, and the thrill is gone.

Financial stability is nice, and excess wealth even more so, but you have to take into account the time investment. The higher up the ladder I climb, the more of my life is drained into work. At this point, I'd rather cut my salary in half and have some free time to myself, but it's a hard lifestyle change to make.

So, all in all, it depends on your priorities. For example, my big passion as a teen was playing the drums. I remember scrounging together my money for months just to buy a cheap piece for my kit. Ten years later, I could buy a top-end rock star quality kit no problem, but I wouldn't have time to even enjoy it.

If I could do it over again, I'd probably set some strict limits on how much of my life I was willing to give to work. Granted, I'm still young, so it's not too late to change, but... easier said than done.

1 person likes this.