• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To all avid ebayers...

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No pizza for me this week fellahs, so here is something else to chew on. (much less exciting, I know
sad.gif
) I have posted it here to grab the attention of all for productive purposes... http://1010wins.com/topstories/winst...241130114.html New Jersey Man Falls For Online TV Scam Aug 28, 2004 12:59 pm US/Eastern (1010 WINS) (LAWRENCEVILLE, Ga.) Andrew Aquilini thought he snagged a great bargain for a 52-inch plasma screen television on eBay. Instead he ended up paying $2,000 for a 52-inch photograph of a TV set. Aquilini, 51, of Edison, N.J., said he was enraged when the photograph arrived at his home, and e-mailed the seller, 18-year-old Brian J. Kim, for an explanation. "He said I should have known that the advertisement was for a picture of a television," Aquilini said. Kim, of Buford, was arrested Thursday at Phoenix High School and charged with theft by deception for allegedly cheating at least three people with the TV photographs, Gwinnett County police Cpl. Dan Huggins said. Kim was being held Friday in lieu of $5,600 bail. "He felt he did not do anything wrong because he put the word `picture' in the ad," police Sgt. Bill Jack of the financial crime unit said. Christian Farris, 40, of Sedalia, Mo., said he also thought he had found a real deal when he encountered the ad on the Internet with a $1,600 price tag, a fraction of the high-end set's typical cost. Instead, he received the large photo. "I was floored. What am I going to do with a picture of a TV?" Farris said. Aquilini, Farris and another purchaser from Pelham in southwest Georgia all complained to eBay, which forwarded the information to Gwinnett police.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If there was ever a reason for a public hanging, this would be it. Hanging of the kid, not the picture.
biggrin.gif

aybojs

Reaction score
Can I hang the guy who somehow sniped me just now for an Etro suit auction after I had sniped with my own 3 second bid?
sad.gif

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can I hang the guy who somehow sniped me just now for an Etro suit auction after I had sniped with my own 3 second bid? Â
sad.gif
What sniper software are you using and what is he? What are the more popular ones? I only know esnipe as its a friend of mine. JJF

aybojs

Reaction score
I don't know about that guy, but I'm using the patented "I have no life and can spend a Saturday evening repeatedly reloading an auction for the final 10 minutes and place my bid with 3 seconds left" software. It's generally worked well for me until tonight.

rsp1

Reaction score
I'd be curious to see exactly what the ebay listing says. I imagine that one could blatantly say "picture of television" and still get bidders who don't read carefully.

Reminds me of the episode of the Family Guy where Peter goes to buy a boat...

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Plasma TV's are a very high-risk item when you buy from unknown sellers. Right up there with Hermes bags. Lotsa scams running on those sort of items.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
There was a very similar scam a while back, this guy sold like thirty photographs of Playstation 2 video game systems for three hundred bucks a piece when they first hit the market at $400.

I believe he actually won his court case though, because nobody who bid on the auction actually read the item description where he stated the auction was for a lifesize color photograph of said PS2.

I remember that every time I bid on something, and read the whole page top to bottom.

rsp1

Reaction score

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sick and tired of people who use the 'technically legal' excuse. We used to have a justice system, now it is a legal system and the golden rule seems to be do unto others before they do unto you.

The guy is a scumbag.

If you read the fine print you'd find out he is a scumbag who is technically correct, but still a scumbag.

...actually that is unfair to bags of scum.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads