• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tm lewin suits???

wby

Reaction score
I posted this to the thread on Lewin shirts started a couple of months ago, but I suppose the forum problems prevented that thread from moving back to the first page.  Anyway, for those who get the Lewin catalogues, did you see that they now sell suits?  They are very British:  side vents, slanted pockets, ticket pocket, etc.  Though they advertise that the regular retail price is about $900.00 (just like they advertise that reg. price on shirts is approx. $100.00, though no one ever pays that), they can be ordered for approx. $400.00 (half-price and minus hefty VAT).  Catalogue says the suit jacket has a "floating chest piece."  I am not real sure what that means, but I imagine that, nevertheless, it is fused.  For $400.00 I have considered taking the plunge (I can always return if not satisfied), as I like the details on the suit and would otherwise have to order custom or MTM for much more $$$$ to get a similar suit.  I thought it would be fun to have a suit such as this with the slanted pockets, ticket pocket, etc. and this is the only way I see to get one for around $400.00.  Has anyone seen the Lewin suit or can anyone offer any more info on quality?  I think that if simply lives up to quality of Brooks Bros. fused "Brooksease" suits, it is probably worth it.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I posted this to the thread on Lewin shirts started a couple of months ago, but I suppose the forum problems prevented that thread from moving back to the first page.  Anyway, for those who get the Lewin catalogues, did you see that they now sell suits?  They are very British:  side vents, slanted pockets, ticket pocket, etc.  Though they advertise that the regular retail price is about $900.00 (just like they advertise that reg. price on shirts is approx. $100.00, though no one ever pays that), they can be ordered for approx. $400.00 (half-price and minus hefty VAT).  Catalogue says the suit jacket has a "floating chest piece."  I am not real sure what that means, but I imagine that, nevertheless, it is fused.  For $400.00 I have considered taking the plunge (I can always return if not satisfied), as I like the details on the suit and would otherwise have to order custom or MTM for much more $$$$ to get a similar suit.  I thought it would be fun to have a suit such as this with the slanted pockets, ticket pocket, etc. and this is the only way I see to get one for around $400.00.  Has anyone seen the Lewin suit or can anyone offer any more info on quality?  I think that if simply lives up to quality of Brooks Bros. fused "Brooksease" suits, it is probably worth it.
I bought one Lewin pinstripeds suits in London on January with 50% off @250 GBP.

It is stiched good (seems not to be fused @ least fot the front, lapel and sleeve) and fabrics is very nice (good shine)

I think I should have taken 2 for this price.

So it is a good deal, far away better than disigner's suits at twice the price

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
pics Ernest. Post pics. How sure are you that it isn't fused. How is the fit?

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
pics Ernest.  Post pics.  How sure are you that it isn't fused.  How is the fit?
The fit of jacket is very well cut for my body (175cm/79kg)

I have not my camera @home so can not put picture for moment.

Not fused? As I know how to see if a suit is fused or not...

Not fused as I see little dots of stitching under the lapel on the body after pullin the fabrics. Am I wrong?

wby

Reaction score
Thanks Ernest.  I went ahead and ordered one in Navy chalkstripe.  When things sound too good to be true, they usually are.  I hope it is not fused, but at this price I would not be bothered if it is fused, so long as it is done well.  I feel better knowing that there is a satisfied customer who can confirm the value.  

I would post pics when I receive, but unfortunately do not have a camera.  I don't even own a computer at the moment.  I sneak on here and the Ask Andy site while I am at work.  Hopefully, Ernest will be able to post some pics soon.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Ernest.  I went ahead and ordered one in Navy chalkstripe.  When things sound too good to be true, they usually are.  I hope it is not fused, but at this price I would not be bothered if it is fused, so long as it is done well.  I feel better knowing that there is a satisfied customer who can confirm the value.  

I would post pics when I receive, but unfortunately do not have a camera.  I don't even own a computer at the moment.  I sneak on here and the Ask Andy site while I am at work.  Hopefully, Ernest will be able to post some pics soon.
I hope your suit will be as good as mine.

Where have you found it? @ this price I would be ok to buy a chalk-striped.

Buttons are plastics but very close one from another on sleeves like on Smalto suit.

For the price, you can NOT make a bad deal.

P.S. I have not wear it so I can not say how it becomes in time

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I threw out the latest TM Lewin mailer after it came, so I don't recall the details on the suit. Is it a six-inch drop or a seven?

wby

Reaction score
It is a six inch drop.  I am a size 41, but would prefer size 33 or 34 trousers.  But 35 is generally not too bad.  I used to buy Brooks Brothers - separate jacket and trousers.  Lately, I have gone to Samuelsohn - great suits, but I have to deal with size 35 trousers.  I swore my next step would be MTM, probably Samuelsohn, but I could not resist trying this suit at the price.  The slanted pockets and ticket pocket might be over the top for some, but I wanted to sample the style without spending much.

Ernest, to answer your question, I found it in the Lewin catalogue they mail out each month. This is the first month they have offered the suits by catalogue sale. I imagine they will be offered on the Lewin web site soon.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks wby,

Be sure to post (hopefully with pics) when it arrives. Having purchased several of their shirts, I think of TM Lewin as being equivalent in quality to mid-range US department store goods, but having some styling touches that elevate them above that level in appearance--if you choose wisely.

DPDNYC

Reaction score
Got the TM Lewin catalog, and I really like the styling of their suits (not to mention the price). Can anyone comment on the fit of the TM Lewin suits? I'm usually a 46L, but sometimes have to go up to 48L on some cuts of jacket because of my shoulders.

Also, I'm a little confused about sharkskin. To me, it conjures up images of shiny-suited mid-level mafia types. I must be mistaken, right?

wby

Reaction score
It appears that my suit just shipped out a couple of days ago, so I will probably not receive until next week. It is hard to tell from the pictures what the sharkskin is actually like. I ordered the blue chalkstripe anyway. I can comment on size when it arrives. At this price though, if you like the suit you should just order as I did. TM Lewin has a very good return policy in case you do not like the fit or the material when it arrives. It is a pain to ship things back, especially overseas, but, in my opinion, it is worth the risk on deals like this.

dorian

Reaction score
Would anyone with the catalogue and a scanner (or camera) be kind enough to scan the pages with suits?

Thanks...

wby

Reaction score
I received the suit yesterday. Unfortunately, I am going to have to send it back. The trousers, while actually a size too big in the waist, are far too tight in the seat, rise and leg. This is often a problem for me, I have a big butt and large legs. These trousers are obviously not designed for guys with my build.

It is too bad, because I was actually pleased with the quality considering what I paid for the suit. I tested to see whether it was fused. I first checked near the front bottom of the coat - a little below the last button - and only felt two layers, not three as with a fully canvassed suit. However, neither of the layers was thicker than the other, so I do not think a lining was fused to either layer. I then went higher up the jacket and could feel three distinct layers, which led me to believe it was non-fused in this area. My only experience with non-fused though is with my Samuelsohn suits, which have that distinct third layer running all the way to the bottom of the coat. Perhaps this is half-canvassed or partially canvassed??? I don't know the term.

As for the material, it is a nice, but not great, super 100s merino wool. Although TM Lewin carefully packed the suit in a plastic bag, and then in a suit bag, it emerged from the package with some moderate creasing. I hung it in my bathroom at lunch (when I received it) and left it there as I returned to work for the rest of the day and went to dinner. About eight hours later, none of the creases had fallen out. In fairness, I did not steam up my bathroom and did not attempt to use my steamer to get any creases out. I don't know what this says about the fabric. I am not an expert in this area, I am just trying to describe my experience with the suit.

Overall, I was pleased with the suit. I tried on the coat a number of times before trying the trousers. I was conviced the suit would work, but then my big rear ruined it. Also, while I liked it, my wife felt the ticket pocket was a little too much - and she is probably correct for my conservative profession and location. If you like the styling of the suit, and you can wear slim fitting trousers, then I think this is good value at approx. $400.00.

For me, I suppose I will return to my first idea of jumping to MTM. One of my local haberdasheries offers Samuelsohn, while another offers Tallia at about $300.00 less. I am very familiar, and impressed, with Samuelsohn. Does anyone have any experience with Tallia???

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is too bad, because I was actually pleased with the quality considering what I paid for the suit.  I tested to see whether it was fused.  I first checked near the front bottom of the coat - a little below the last button - and only felt two layers, not three as with a fully canvassed suit.  However, neither of the layers was thicker than the other, so I do not think a lining was fused to either layer.  I then went higher up the jacket and could feel three distinct layers, which led me to believe it was non-fused in this area.  My only experience with non-fused though is with my Samuelsohn suits, which have that distinct third layer running all the way to the bottom of the coat.  Perhaps this is half-canvassed or partially canvassed???  I don't know the term.  
If you think the suit might be half-canvas, take a look at the back of the lapel. If the back of the lapel has lots of small dimples, it's got canvas lapels--those dimples would be the stitches holding the canvas to the back of the lapel.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I received the suit yesterday.  Unfortunately, I am going to have to send it back.  The trousers, while actually a size too big in the waist, are far too tight in the seat, rise and leg.  This is often a problem for me, I have a big butt and large legs.  These trousers are obviously not designed for guys with my build.  

It is too bad, because I was actually pleased with the quality considering what I paid for the suit.  I tested to see whether it was fused.  I first checked near the front bottom of the coat - a little below the last button - and only felt two layers, not three as with a fully canvassed suit.  However, neither of the layers was thicker than the other, so I do not think a lining was fused to either layer.  I then went higher up the jacket and could feel three distinct layers, which led me to believe it was non-fused in this area.  My only experience with non-fused though is with my Samuelsohn suits, which have that distinct third layer running all the way to the bottom of the coat.  Perhaps this is half-canvassed or partially canvassed???  I don't know the term.  

As for the material, it is a nice, but not great, super 100s merino wool.  Although TM Lewin carefully packed the suit in a plastic bag, and then in a suit bag, it emerged from the package with some moderate creasing.  I hung it in my bathroom at lunch (when I received it) and left it there as I returned to work for the rest of the day and went to dinner.  About eight hours later, none of the creases had fallen out.  In fairness, I did not steam up my bathroom and did not attempt to use my steamer to get any creases out.  I don't know what this says about the fabric.  I am not an expert in this area, I am just trying to describe my experience with the suit.  

Overall, I was pleased with the suit.  I tried on the coat a number of times before trying the trousers.  I was conviced the suit would work, but then my big rear ruined it.  Also, while I liked it, my wife felt the ticket pocket was a little too much - and she is probably correct for my conservative profession and location.  If you like the styling of the suit, and you can wear slim fitting trousers, then I think this is good value at approx. $400.00.  

For me, I suppose I will return to my first idea of jumping to MTM.  One of my local haberdasheries offers Samuelsohn, while another offers Tallia at about $300.00 less.  I am very familiar, and impressed, with Samuelsohn.  Does anyone have any experience with Tallia???
Bad news.

Have you a picture of the suit?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads