• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TM Lewin suits

pred02

Reaction score
Does anyone know how TM Lewin suits fit? I am a 36R chest (5' 8, 150 lbs) in a RL Black Label 36R is too tight, 38R is perfect (HM Blazers also 38R) but some suits I fit better in a 36R. TM Lewin is running a nice special on suits and I'd like to grab one to try, I cannot go to the store as I am in the US, I also like the fact that you can choose the pants separate (I am a 31, 30 is too tight with a 6 inch drop).

What should I order a 36R or 38R (I like a slimmer fit). I know they have a generous return policy but provided they are in the UK it will take a while and is a hassle to do an exchange.

Thanks!

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why don't you ring up their London tailoring store with your measurements.

greyinla

Reaction score
If a 38 in RLBL is a perfect fit, I might size down on the Lewin (although going by your stated height/weight, I would think a 36 would be a bit small). Also, be aware these are different cuts. BL has narrow lapels and shoulders and a relatively low button stance; current Lewins will have wider lapels and shoulders and a higher button stance and larger armholes. If memory serves me, I also think the Lewin is more aggressively tapered at the waist. If you like the Lewin and can't get actual measurements from them though, why not order both sizes? Shipping charges are modest, esp. given that they deduct VAT, and they make US returns pretty easy as they enclose a return label that goes to a US address. Returns shouldn't be that much of a hassle, and then you'll know for sure.

SwedishFish

Reaction score
I'm a 38R in both RLBL and TM Lewin. The Lewin jacket I have is almost as suppressed in the waist as the RLBL.

mudphud10

Reaction score
My actual chest measures 37inches. I have TM Lewin 38R which fits nicely with some waist suppression. When I tried on RLBL (we call all dream), 38R was too tight and 40R was perfect. In fact the sales guy took a look at me and didn't even offer 38R initially after I told him I was 38R. I felt that RLBL 40R fit better (tighter in the chest and shoulder) than TM lewin 38R.

I'd go with 36R TM Lewin and let out the pants an inch.

pred02

Reaction score
Ok, I think I will order the 36R per their regulation. Now the problem is with the pants. I have a 31" waist, usually the weight goes into tights and the waist versus the chest. I can order 30" pants but I will need to take the waist out. Or I can order 32" pants but they are out of stock. Not sure if I can risk it. I am not in the UK so I cannot go and try it out.

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got two suits ruined by moth and am in the market for some suits that function as work suits, as well as some special occasions.

I came across the mentions of TM Lewin suits several times while doing some searches.

Upon checking their websites, they seem reasonably priced. I also have not noticed too many negative feedbacks.

Many of the discussions are a bit old, I am wondering if members here can provide some updated insights on these suits?

casestudy

Reaction score
Hi there.

Am in the market of getting a suit. TW Lewin is on sale and hear from my friend that their quality is good for the price. I like slimmer suit like the Burberry Prorsum.

Regards,

TL

AE7

Reaction score
Personally, I would avoid TML suits, they are okey for basic shirts, but doubt that their suits would fit and drape as nice, as say, Ralph Lauren by Corneliani, which are just a bit more expensive.

Even their shirts are made in China, so I presume that suits come from there as well (and fabrics, quite possibly).

jackdaw

Reaction score
I bought a 39R Chepstow grey pick and pick (sharkskin)w. 33 pants in 100s wool. Worth it at 137 GBP after VAT. Up close, it's obviously made in China, mostly fused, with fabric that doesn't have the greatest hand yet looks passable. I liked the idea of a beater suit. Shoulders are rather heavily padded, but the width and silhouette work out OK and the coat looks better on than it seems it would from the feel of the padding. Jacket is fairly long and has some waist suppression. Arms are pretty slim and armholes fairly high--a pretty trim fit. Size 33 trousers were an inch or two too large in waist and rather too ample in the seat. Still, a passable fit for a suit that cost in the low $200s and most cheap OTR makers don't do sz. 39 or offer pants separates. By way of sizing reference, I am 5'11", 33" waist, and 39" chest with 45" shoulders and fit a 39R jacket universally.

casestudy

Reaction score
Thanks for the update. I actually need a suit for work. For work, I dont want to spend too much on it.

Geoff Gander

Reaction score
I have a couple of them for regular wear. Considering they're 100% wool, double vented, ticket pocket, and fairly slim-fitting, I think they're a decent deal if you can get them for $250 or less.* The "official" info I read about them says that they are half-canvassed, but I'm no expert. I *do* know that they wear well, and are comfortable. For me, that's enough (for now).

I also have a Lewin linen suit, dark blue with fine pinstripes, that I bought BNWT on EBay a year or so ago. Price was unbelievably good, and if you can find one they're definitely a good buy.

*In Ottawa, at least, it's damned near impossible to get something even passably good for that price.

casestudy

Reaction score
I am currently wearing a 36R H&M slim suit which fits good. Would the TML be too loose?

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wools:
Red Label: Super 80's (Avoid at all costs)
Blue Label: 110s/120s All pure merino.

Construction:
Red Label: Fused.
Blue Label: Half Canvassed (I've taken several apart and can attest to their being half canvassed, even the Chepstow as mentioned above)

Fit:
Jermyn Street Cut: Generous sizings, but essentially TTS. Some may wish to size down by half to make it "slim fit"

Sackville Cut: Slim fit, tapered leg and slimmer lapels. Newly introduced new models appear every 12 weeks or so with this cut. Great for those who are 42" or less. Bigger chaps tend to prefer the Jermyn Street Cut.

Casestudy: You will find that H&M slim fit is slimmer than the T M Lewin Sackville (slim fit line) and they only go as small as 36". You could make it work with minimal tailoring, and they are currently running an extra 10% off all suits at the moment.

casestudy

Reaction score
Blackhood,

Thanks for the update. I was looking at some RED LABEL because their customer service said it is the most slim cut. Sackville cut is the most slim? I want it for work, so I think it is ok. Right? Should I get Jermyn Street Cut or Sackville?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads