• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TM Lewin Shoes

Lino

Reaction score
TM Lewin is having a shoe sale, two pairs for £190 ($359.28 for 2 pair, or $179.64 each pair"”not counting shipping and such).

So, at TM Lewin shoes worth around $179.64 each pair?

Who makes them?

How do they compare to AE (the great yard stick of shoes)?

How about size conversion? I wear U.S. 11E.

I am mostly interested in the: Brown st. James (semi-brogue cap-toe bal), Brown or Black Churchill shoes (monk strap)"”all in calf.

BTW, they have some interesting shoe trees too.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Loake
They are not worth $180.
Pretty much equal to AE.
The run big so take a full size down.

OK, but if AE runs ~$300 at full retail and Loake is the rough equivalent of AE, wouldn't $180 be a pretty good deal?

Lino

Reaction score
Loake
They are not worth $180.
Pretty much equal to AE.
The run big so take a full size down.

Huh. Not to quibble, but AE's at $180 are not a bad value"”so wouldn't something on par at $180 also be a good value?

Has it been verified they are Loake and not Alfred Sargent.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vintage Gent
OK, but if AE runs ~$300 at full retail and Loake is the rough equivalent of AE, wouldn't $180 be a pretty good deal?

Well, yes, I guess in your example but who on this board has paid full retail for either Loake or AE? Loake can be had for less on ebay, through the monthly Tyrwhitt sales and Pediwear's regular Loake price is Lewin's sale price. But if there was no way to purchase Loake's through these other means, then yes, the $180 would represent a good deal.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lino
Huh. Not to quibble, but AE's at $180 are not a bad value"”so wouldn't something on par at $180 also be a good value?

Has it been verified they are Loake and not Alfred Sargent.

I agree, AE's at $180 are not a bad value, but he asked about Loake's which were purchased by many here recently for $85 a pop. If they are Sargent's then $180 is a very good price.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, yes, I guess in your example but who on this board has paid full retail for either Loake or AE?

Hell, Ed, yer makin' me feel bad. I confess, yes, I have committed such a crime: one with a pair of Park Avenues bought at Nordstrom and the other with a pair of Norwiches bought from Pediwear (although that probably counts as something of a discount).

Lino

Reaction score
I agree, AE's at $180 are not a bad value, but he asked about Loake's which were purchased by many here recently for $85 a pop. If they are Sargent's then $180 is a very good price.

Got ya.

I emailed TM to ask about the maker. I mentioned size convertion for AS and Loake to US sizes is very different and if they could tell me who made the shoes I would be able make a purchase"”we will see if they reveal this info or not, I will report back if they do.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hell, Ed, yer makin' me feel bad. I confess, yes, I have committed such a crime: one with a pair of Park Avenues bought at Nordstrom and the other with a pair of Norwiches bought from Pediwear (although that probably counts as something of a discount).

The minute I wrote that I said, ah great, now I'll be hated by all the people who paid retail!! If it makes you feel better, I've paid full retail for shoes that are no where near the AE class. I also realize that ebay/internet purchases are not for everyone. For $180, Lino can do a lot worse than Loake and I would recommend pediwear for a purchase and they will even match Lewin's "sale" price.

Lino

Reaction score
The minute I wrote that I said, ah great, now I'll be hated by all the people who paid retail!! If it makes you feel better, I've paid full retail for shoes that are no where near the AE class. I also realize that ebay/internet purchases are not for everyone. For $180, Lino can do a lot worse than Loake and I would recommend pediwear for a purchase and they will even match Lewin's "sale" price.

Ed,

Or hated by those of us with shoe size that seem not to show up on discount often"”11E seems to be one of those. ;-)

But how can we hate ya? What with those great ties you posted recently, and all the great info you provide.

I will check out Pediwear's again. The last time I looked there my head starting spinning with Loake, Bakers and Trickers"”which seem to be the ones in my price range. The problem was that I do not knowing anything about those brands (with the expection of some comments on Loake which some people love for the price, some think are god work horses, and others hate)"”much less their various lines.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...the other with a pair of Norwiches bought from Pediwear (although that probably counts as something of a discount).

Same here.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lino
Ed,

Or hated by those of us with shoe size that seem not to show up on discount often"”11E seems to be one of those. ;-)

But how can we hate ya? What with those great ties you posted recently, and all the great info you provide.

I will check out Pediwear's again. The last time I looked there my head starting spinning with Loake, Bakers and Trickers"”which seem to be the ones in my price range. The problem was that I do not knowing anything about those brands (with the expection of some comments on Loake which some people love for the price, some think are god work horses, and others hate)"”much less their various lines.

Thanks,
My suggestion would be to stick with the Loake 1880's if you are going with Loakes. The 1880 is their best line and those are the shoes that Tyrwhitt and Lewin rebrand as their own. If you want to go higher in price, Sargent's are good. Keep in mind that you probably want to go with an F width in those shoes, the British E width is narrower than the American D width. If you are not against "seconds", Herring shoes will sell you 2 pairs of Loake 1880's for about 140-150 pounds shipped to the US. The seconds are 99.5% like the firsts, they might have a tiny scuff or scratch that can be taken out with polish.

Lino

Reaction score
The answer from TM Lewin:

"Our shoes are made by an English company in India, whose name I cannot disclose, but if you order your size via an English conversion then you should get the perfect fit."

For those into marketing copy notice this little twist in the details of the copy:

From TM Lewin's site: "Our selection of shoes owes its heritage to the legendary skills of the Northampton shoemaker."

As oposed to this from CT: These beautiful calf leather shoes are crafted in Northampton, from cutting the leather to antique finishing by hand.

Now, mind you, there is nothing that says a person in India can not do just as good a job as a guy in England making shoes"”given equal equipment and materials. That said, since labor would be lower, I'd want the shoe to be priced as such.

Nonk

Reaction score
I have not done any research recently but I was quite certain TMLewin shoes WERE NOT Loake\\Sargent.

Tyrwhitt are however.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads