1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

TM Lewin shirts?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by FCS, Jan 15, 2005.

1. FCS

FCS Senior Member

Short question, do their dress shirts have pearl buttons and constructed by single-needle stitching?

2. Tom

Tom Senior Member

3. FCS

FCS Senior Member

Thanks Tom.

4. BjornH

BjornH Senior Member

No - but I'll double check later.

B

5. BjornH

BjornH Senior Member

I was correct. Double row of stitches and plastic buttons. Non-fused collar and cuffs though, if you like them.

Apart from that, they are good value for money. A bit baggy but the collars and fabrics are nice. I especially like their full spread collar.

B

6. chorse123

chorse123 Stylish Dinosaur

They have different ranges of shirts, I believe. Some do have MOP buttons, but I would guess that none of them have single needle stitching.

7. tattersall

tattersall Distinguished Member

I have shirts from the Lewin 100, Royal and Luxury ranges - all are double-needle, plastic buttoned and do not match patterns at the shoulder or gauntlet. They're ok shirts and as Bjorn says have a nice spread collar (they call this the windsor I believe). I purchased these before I knew or cared about such things as MOP buttons or pattern matching. I happen to like their woven ties - every bit as well made and luxurious/thick as my ties by Charles Hill.

They are relentless in sending catalogues, though, despite the fact that I haven't ordered from them in over a year...

8. FCS

FCS Senior Member

Thank you gentlemen, good thing I am pretty lazy in my shopping. Double stitching I still can tolerate, but plastic button? Euh...

9. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Aha--another admirer of Charles Hill ties. Not a name that gets mentioned very often.

Pardon the interruption.

10. tattersall

tattersall Distinguished Member

And to our advantage too, I would add. I always find them on the sale table at Holt Renfrew since no one knows what the heck they are.

11. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

It is possible that the T.M. Lewin ties are made by Charles Hill. I suspect them of a fair amount of sub-contract work. I think they make the Ben Silver regimentals (the made in England ones), I suspect they make Ede & Ravenscroft ties and it's possible they make Turnbull & Asser.

12. Tom

Tom Senior Member

Both of my Lewin shirts have MOP bottons. And I suppose I must not know what single needle stiching is.

-Tom

13. BjornH

BjornH Senior Member

I don't really worry much about the stiching as long as it is fine. But I'm interested in your shirts, Tom. Are they recent or old ? Are they from a specific line ? These are the first I've heard of with proper buttons.

B

p.s. I love getting their catalogs but after a year and a half, I have yet to buy anything from it.