• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Made in Spain Footwear, including TLB Mallorca, Cobbler Union, Yanko, Norman Vilalta, etc

dave_rawitat

Reaction score
I would definitely rate the TLB Artista line above AE and slightly above **similar** Carmina models (not above Carmina in general. Still a high praise, consider that I'm pretty much a Carmina fanboy).

I have no idea about TLB normal RTW line. But I’m itching to try a pair.

I have a few pair of Alden Shell Cordovan but I won’t compare them as they are too different. My Alden are built like tank, not as sleek and elegant.

Last edited:

misiuacademy

Reaction score
I thought I would share a few more pictures from today. I am penning a review. I thought you might enjoy looking at these.
IMG_6019.JPG IMG_E6006.JPG IMG_E6022.JPG IMG_E6025.JPG

luigiborrelli

Reaction score
There is a fundamental problem with all things made in Mallorca-i.e. consistency. I have lived here for many years. All workers go to a cafe in the morning on the way to work and many will take a "chupito" of brandy with their morning coffee. It's always beer with lunch and wine. This inevitably impacts the quality of workmanship and is decidedly worse at the end of the month when pay day comes around. Having said that you can get lucky with a good pair of shoes, belt, wallet etc. Conversely, disaster can strike. The other factor is that most manufacturers skimp on things that are invisible to the naked eye especially metal parts which are often inferior to products made in say Italy.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is a fundamental problem with all things made in Mallorca-i.e. consistency. I have lived here for many years. All workers go to a cafe in the morning on the way to work and many will take a "chupito" of brandy with their morning coffee. It's always beer with lunch and wine. This inevitably impacts the quality of workmanship and is decidedly worse at the end of the month when pay day comes around. Having said that you can get lucky with a good pair of shoes, belt, wallet etc. Conversely, disaster can strike. The other factor is that most manufacturers skimp on things that are invisible to the naked eye especially metal parts which are often inferior to products made in say Italy.

My view in general is that yes, consistency in Spain (not only Mallorca, and it has nothing to do with drinking, that's really exaggerating IMO), Portugal and definitely also Italy (my worst problems with consistency have been when working with Italian companies, and many others experience the same) is up and down, this compared to mainly England where the consistency in general (there are exceptions) is better.

However, also in Spain and Mallorca there are exceptions, it is up to the factory and the employees. I'm of course biased here, but what I experience with TLB is both that they have managed to build a good environment with employees feeling for the brand e.g. see it as more than just go to work and do their hours, and that they are working carefully on quality check. We've had very few problems with QC issues, most is taken care of in the factory and going on the subs shelves, then of course mistakes can be made and things that has flaws reach the end customer, but in those few cases it's been solved in a good way. And things can always improve, you can always work even harder, that's why I'm glad to see TLB focusing on to continue to get better, especially in making it easier for them to be really good, so to say.

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What a stupid comment. But you are very lucky living there.

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My view in general is that yes, consistency in Spain (not only Mallorca, and it has nothing to do with drinking, that's really exaggerating IMO), Portugal and definitely also Italy (my worst problems with consistency have been when working with Italian companies, and many others experience the same) is up and down, this compared to mainly England where the consistency in general (there are exceptions) is better.

However, also in Spain and Mallorca there are exceptions, it is up to the factory and the employees. I'm of course biased here, but what I experience with TLB is both that they have managed to build a good environment with employees feeling for the brand e.g. see it as more than just go to work and do their hours, and that they are working carefully on quality check. We've had very few problems with QC issues, most is taken care of in the factory and going on the subs shelves, then of course mistakes can be made and things that has flaws reach the end customer, but in those few cases it's been solved in a good way. And things can always improve, you can always work even harder, that's why I'm glad to see TLB focusing on to continue to get better, especially in making it easier for them to be really good, so to say.
I wonder why so many retailers and entrepenurials all over the world (including UK) produce their shoes /brands in those countries with such an incontistency in their products and workers without comittment.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder why so many retailers and entrepenurials all over the world (including UK) produce their shoes /brands in those countries with such an incontistency in their products and workers without comittment.

I think you misread my comment. When saying that there is more incostistency, doesn’t mean it is a huge problem and that workers have no commitment. It’s not what I meant at all.

And, obviously, the fact that you receive more for the price in general (sometimes much more) from Spain, Portugal, Italy etc is of course a main reason for brands and customers choosing stuff made in these countries. When talking shoes, in general the material and how advanced construction/finishing is made is higher from here than from England for shoes at the same price, while England’s stronger point, IMO, is a higher consistency in general. Neither of it means that there is something bad with either of the “two sides”. They just have different strengths, I would say. And again, it’s generalisations, not something that goes for all and everyone.

Last edited:

misiuacademy

Reaction score
Beautiful shoes. Thank you for sharing. I'm, for one, looking forward to your review!
Thank you, last time people accused me for promoting my blog, so if you are interested I will PM you the link. Have a lovely week :)

bantone

Reaction score
I just ordered a belt from TLB to match my double monks. I'm banking that it will be high quality. I will post pictures when I get it.

blekit

Reaction score
I wanted to share my feelings after a couple of months of owning and using two pairs of TLB shoes. One pair of black adelaide oxfords (Charles 547 on rubber Senior sole - similar to Dainite in a way). It is in my standard size on Oliver F last. They were slightly tight in the beginning, but after few wears they feel comfortable now. The second pair I've bought were brown cap-toe oxfords (Williams 502 model, also on rubber sole but in City variant). This time I went with my standard size but in Alan G-width last. They were comfortable from the first wear and I think in case of oxfords that will be my first choice in the future. The last may not be as sleek and dynamic as its F version, but it still looks really nice and has great proportions. The leather on both pairs seems to be of very high quality and so is the level of craftmanship. If I wanted to compare them to other shoes in my collection, I'd say only Vass is better. TLB seems to me to be at the same level as Alfred Sargent, slightly better than Joseph Cheaney and and much better than Yanko and Barker.

Below pictures of both pairs from their latest outing.
20190428_135410.jpg

20190430_070922.jpg

misiuacademy

Reaction score
I wanted to share my feelings after a couple of months of owning and using two pairs of TLB shoes. One pair of black adelaide oxfords (Charles 547 on rubber Senior sole - similar to Dainite in a way). It is in my standard size on Oliver F last. They were slightly tight in the beginning, but after few wears they feel comfortable now. The second pair I've bought were brown cap-toe oxfords (Williams 502 model, also on rubber sole but in City variant). This time I went with my standard size but in Alan G-width last. They were comfortable from the first wear and I think in case of oxfords that will be my first choice in the future. The last may not be as sleek and dynamic as its F version, but it still looks really nice and has great proportions. The leather on both pairs seems to be of very high quality and so is the level of craftmanship. If I wanted to compare them to other shoes in my collection, I'd say only Vass is better. TLB seems to me to be at the same level as Alfred Sargent, slightly better than Joseph Cheaney and and much better than Yanko and Barker.

Below pictures of both pairs from their latest outing.
View attachment 1171534
View attachment 1171533
They look excellent! I agree with what you said. Wear them well!

misiuacademy

Reaction score
Might not be the correct thread, but I was wearing my Artistas today again. I thought I would show how I style them. I feel it fits very well.

color.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads