• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Made in Spain Footwear, including TLB Mallorca, Cobbler Union, Yanko, Norman Vilalta, etc

thuhoan

Reaction score
I am putting up a Artista Oxfords for sale for a low price, if anyone wants to give the Artista a try. I will mto order this exact model in an E-width because it is just a better fit for me.

apd90700

Reaction score
Maybe the exception -- high arch, low instep feet. Wasn't 100% on the instep measurement that is average for US 9 D, but the Google seems to think it's 27cm.

Arches.jpg

Instep.jpg

1624117153376.png

1624117322691.png

Last edited:

nevaeh

Reaction score
Maybe the exception -- high arch, low instep feet. Wasn't 100% on the instep measurement that is average for US 9 D, but the Google seems to think it's 27cm.

View attachment 1627265
View attachment 1627266
View attachment 1627259

View attachment 1627264

Is that 27 cm in your last screenshot for a specific last? Is that a TLB last?

It doesn't seem reasonable to me that all U.S. 9 lasts are designed for a 27 cm instep. Some might be, others might not.

Also. Socks are probably a good idea when measuring (and definitely when posting here)!

Last edited:

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1) If you’re gonna post feet pics at least spoiler that ****
2) Probably a good idea to measure with your socks on since you’re probably planning to wear your shoes with socks I’d imagine.
3) Based on your impression and fit wearing TLB your instep and your arch both look pretty much in the “average” range - neither high nor super low.
4) Don’t believe size charts with averages - purge that number from your head. They’re worthless. Just like I’m a 32 in some trousers and a 33 or 34 in others. Or a 48L or a 50 or 52 depending on the brand and cut of a suit. Shoe sizes are at least as complicated if not more. Stick to whatever brand you’re looking at.

Best thing you can do is measure - with socks on (I posted a picture of a last yesterday or the day before - grab all those measurements and make a note of which is which) and do tracings - make a note of the pencil angle was on the tracings. Was it 90°? 45°? What about the arch? 30°? Make a note of whether you were seated or standing for measurements and tracings and make a note of how tightly you pulled the tape. I find it’s easier to measure and trace myself while seated and it’s usually fine as long as I mention that’s how they were taken. When measuring ideally you want it secure but not tight. If your foot squeezes above the tape when you pull it’s too tight. I keep my measurements, tracings and photos in a folder on my computer that I can then easily send to a maker or a retailer if I need fit advice along with a list of how other shoes have fit me. Make a note of size, width, brand, which last and what you like or don’t like. Is it a good fit? Too much negative space? Toe box cramped? Heel slip? Some parts are good and others are bad? Can almost guarantee you’ll still have misses in virtual fittings but it’ll lower the odds of it.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1627265
View attachment 1627266
View attachment 1627259

View attachment 1627264

Instep girth doesn't say much at all on if you have high, normal or low instep (saw I mixed terms up in my previous post, Instep girth should have been Short and long heel girth, and Waist girth should have been Instep girth, if using the terms on the picture in Jmr's post). So as should have written: Short and long heel girth, therefore, usually gives a good hint to if you have flat arches as well, while instep girth (and waist girth) only gives you volume, and as mentioned above this volume can be placed high or low and still be the same.

And as others have stated, generalised measurements like that are more or less pointless. Considering most people take under measurements on Instep girth, Waist girth and Ball girth, so if you have 27 cm Instep girth feet you'd normally have a last with shorter measurement feel fitting best (otherwise you'd have excess space here). Only super bony sensitive feet match actual last measurements close.

Based on photos I've seen of you wearing your TLB, your instep height looks to be rather normal. What are you basing your statement that you have low instep on?

Last edited:

apd90700

Reaction score
Instep girth doesn't say much at all on if you have high, normal or low instep (saw I mixed terms up in my previous post, Instep girth should have been Short and long heel girth, and Waist girth should have been Instep girth, if using the terms on the picture in Jmr's post). So as should have written: Short and long heel girth, therefore, usually gives a good hint to if you have flat arches as well, while instep girth (and waist girth) only gives you volume, and as mentioned above this volume can be placed high or low and still be the same.

And as others have stated, generalised measurements like that are more or less pointless. Considering most people take under measurements on Instep girth, Waist girth and Ball girth, so if you have 27 cm Instep girth feet you'd normally have a last with shorter measurement feel fitting best (otherwise you'd have excess space here). Only super bony sensitive feet match actual last measurements close.

Based on photos I've seen of you wearing your TLB, your instep height looks to be rather normal. What are you basing your statement that you have low instep on?
Best way to measure instep height? If instep girth is out, then figure you guys would know best on how to get the measurements for instep height. Once we have that we can investigate more to see if the feet are high, normal or low insteps. There's a game afoot!

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Best way to measure instep height? If instep girth is out, then figure you guys would know best on how to get the measurements for instep height. Once we have that we can investigate more to see if the feet are high, normal or low insteps. There's a game afoot!
Like Jesper mentioned - your short and long heel measurements will give you an idea but it is also in relation to everything else whether it's a "normal" instep - I have a low instep but if I size down half and jam my feet into shoes that are too small I can fill out the instep (most of the time), if I size up half to get room in the toe box on say Vass U, my feet swim - but again normal is going to be a range and lasts are going to be a range. Here's a simplified image.
Screen Shot 2021-06-19 at 5.21.30 PM.png

Honestly the effort to define it more than you have already seems a little frivolous. Assuming you're properly sized in your TLB that should give you an idea of how your instep is as Jesper mentioned. You get almost full closure but it sounds like it is snug and there isn't looseness or a gap between your instep and the facings when you pull them tight or they overlap or something and you don't get heel slip. Not high, but not low. Likewise your arch looks pretty normal from the impression, not high. That should also give you a pretty good range of RTW shoes that you can wear off the shelf. I'd make a note of the measurements and make some tracings and store them off to the size. Start your list of which lasts fit you and how and you're good to go.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As stated above, if you read my posts again I'm sure you can figure it out ?

Roen

Reaction score
Any comments on how the city sole handles slippery surfaces? Debating whether or not I want to put an Incas sole on for the purposes of anti-slip.

How is durability between the two soles as well?

Emil S

Reaction score
Any comments on how the city sole handles slippery surfaces? Debating whether or not I want to put an Incas sole on for the purposes of anti-slip.

How is durability between the two soles as well?
I dont experience any major difference between them based on swedish rain/snow/ice ground.

Roen

Reaction score
He's not sure about the width, hence the post here.
He suggested UK 9 F, which I don't see how it could possibly fit, but it does open up the RTW line to try one in the hopes of it fitting.

For reference, I generally wear US 10.5 EEE, UK 9.5 G

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads