• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Made in Spain Footwear, including TLB Mallorca, Cobbler Union, Yanko, Norman Vilalta, etc

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I asked for “thoughts” in a subtle hint to make you realize insulting me for my 14 minute mile look was probably uncouth.
Nah I stand by my assessment of that fit which was also a joke after you mentioned needing to outrun the competition.
4DCBC6B2-C7A7-4C25-99DF-171C4ED0C834.gif

in sincerity - that outfit could be modified to be improved on. Some suede loafers or chukkas (I thought you added both of these to your rotation?) would work better with that denim which is really dark. If you like the yellow a less saturated shade would probably lend itself to being easier to pair. If you like the saturated yellow then a lighter pair of denim could help it work better. Alternatively a white, light gray, medium gray or black polo with that denim could look really sharp - particularly if paired with some white minimalist sneakers.

here’s a guy trying to do the yellow/indigo/loafer thing - note it’s just a very choppy combination with harsh breaks but the yellow makes it more aggressive IMO than a white polo which would similarly have a lot of contrast
C16038E1-0F71-4845-8DF5-AAE129BAB6B4.jpeg

Boggis

Reaction score
At the risk of totally derailing the thread...
I think the appeals to authority you're making @apd90700 are unlikely to gain much traction here. While you might look at youtubers with x million subscribers and believe that this imbues their opinions with a mark of authority compared to the anonomous schmoes on this forum, many posters here are simply unimpressed by youtube subscribers as a signifier of the quality of style advice.

While some people take the orthodoxy of "oxfords only with suits" to heart, most realise it's a guideline that really means "sure wear the oxfords with jeans you want, but remember there's certainly a better alternative". It seems like you're railing against a rule that you believe doesn't exist, when it's not really a rule just a helpful guide to creating a more coherent look.

Unfortunately posting fit pics on this forum will always invite snark, particularly when tastes differ. But in addition to a little bit of snark @Jmr928 has given you a number of really thoughtful replies on how to consider your outfits as a whole with concrete examples of steps you could take to improve the coherence of the look. Perhaps if you were less interested in proving people wrong you might better be able to see the perspective he's offering?

Finally, some people think style is like a universal truth, that things objectively look good or look bad. I think you seem to recognize that that's not true, that really it's just opinions I.e. your opinion, the people who you encounter on a daily basis' opinion, you tuber personalities opinion and styleforum members opinions. However, while I agrees taste is entirely subjective I feel like the advice you're being given here by @Jmr928 is all guiding towards a more coherent outfit. If your taste or intention is not to dress coherently, but rather to dress edgy, flash, striking then the advice probably isn't for you. However most posters on here would chose coherence over disjointed so those fit pics are going to take a bit of heat on here.

Either way, have fun and enjoy the journey!

JustPullHarder

Reaction score
1. Puts forward idea that you know to not align with audience and ask for feedback.
2. Receive expected feedback.
3. Cry about being put down and the sheer ignominy of it all.
4. Sees it as validation instead of constructive feedback and proceed with self righteous indignation.

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guess I can rephrase this, since that reply shows a lack of comprehension.

Previous posts insulting people who wear brogued oxfords with dark washed denim would be insulting the Gentlemen’s Gazette by virtue of their recommendations on the subject. Someone’s opinion is just that, an opinion. Know that it isn’t the only acceptable way of dressing oneself. Show some respect for others, instead of irreverence.

Your use of the English language is similar to the way you appear to put your shoes to use. A broad vocabulary is good when you know how to use it properly. I’m a massive fan of good wordplay, but what you post isn’t that, you shoehorn big words into sentences where they don’t belong in the same way as you shoehorn a pair of Oxfords into a jeans and polo outfit.

Each is good in isolation, but doesn’t work in the way you are using it.

Irreverence implies someone should be reverent, but of what in this context? GG give ok CM advice, but don’t appear to be naturally stylish guys so some of their less formal outfit advice is not great.

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@apd90700 I think you would do better if you slowed down, thought about how to build a more holistic wardrobe, and build more of a foundation that allowed you to naturally explore your taste, rather than go on a buying spree for shoes.

I think a lot of guys get into this stuff and then buy a bunch of high-end dress shoes. Some guys never develop an interest in the broader section of their wardrobe and thus become "shoe guys." They take photos of their pant cuffs, socks, and shoes and post them online. Some guys develop a broader interest in clothes and start buying dressy clothes to match, only to later find that their lifestyle and environment don't support such dressy clothes, so it all ends up getting abandoned. Other guys eventually move on once they develop their own personal sense of style (hence why a lot of guys migrate to SWD).

Personally think you should buy just one pair of versatile shoes (e.g., suede chukkas) and then just give yourself three or four years to slowly develop a sensible wardrobe. Chukkas work with a wide range of wardrobes, so you don't have to buy new shoes every time your taste develops in an unexpected direction. Instead of just focusing on shoes, develop an eye for various looks and let your taste naturally evolve. Guys who are just getting into clothing often change taste rapidly in the first three or four years. You can develop your eye without buying things. Just consume images instead.

If I'm being honest, I think a lot of "shoe guy" hangups don't matter very much, like that V-shaped spacing between the facings on an oxford. Maybe far, far down the line, you can pay attention to stuff like that. Most guys would be better off thinking about their pants, jackets, shirts, etc. and how to create a coherent look for their needs.
As someone who when he posts pictures, is generally posting pictures of his shoes it’s not really about not concentrating on the rest of the outfit for me, but more about feeling comfortable putting yourself out there. I’m much more comfortable posting pictures of my shoes than a whole fit. Plus I’d like to stay at least partially anonymous.

I agree on the lacing gap point though. People fixate on that kind of thing when shoe fit is never perfect. My feet are about a size different from each other so fit is always a compromise. No one has ever commented on the fit of any of my shoes though, strangely.

JustPullHarder

Reaction score
@apd90700 have you ever considered that just because someone disagrees with you and expresses said difference of opinion it might not be an insult?

Further, have you ever considered that by asking for advice and then rebuffing the advice you are the one being disrespectful and rude?

If you ask for advice or feedback I would say the gracious thing to do is to take the negative on the chin knowing not everyone is going to agree with you or respectfully engaging in a discourse. In my view you're just being combative.

JustPullHarder

Reaction score
Irreverence implies someone should be reverent, but of what in this context? GG give ok CM advice, but don’t appear to be naturally stylish guys so some of their less formal outfit advice is not great.

They're not particularly attractive men to put it politely. Notwithstanding that attractive people always look more attractive, a lot of casual clothes these days is form fitting which really doesn't favour any of their physiques.

Same could he said for Kirby who seeks to have a lot of kyphosis in this upper thoracic and maybe some winging of the scapula but that's likely why Kirby always has a jacket on and is generally never anything but head on to the camera.

Boggis

Reaction score
They're not particularly attractive men to put it politely. Notwithstanding that attractive people always look more attractive, a lot of casual clothes these days is form fitting which really doesn't favour any of their physiques.

Interesting you say that, my perception was that clothing was trending towards being more loose fitting for both casual and tailored wear. I prefer the more form fitted look, but it seems to me loose and baggy is increasingly "in".

JustPullHarder

Reaction score
Interesting you say that, my perception was that clothing was trending towards being more loose fitting for both casual and tailored wear. I prefer the more form fitted look, but it seems to me loose and baggy is increasingly "in".
There is that oversized trend but I think I think it's form fitted baggy. For example, jackets no longer rely on a lot of padding to give the impression of having broad shoulders. A portly man with sloping shoulders and a pear shape is unlikely to be flattered. You definitely have a point though.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Think it depends a lot on location and what look and how we’re describing fitted and trim and the different subcultures within each vibe of CM or SWD. My sense is that the heroin chic Hedi look is maybe a little less popular but still there and the bohemian or western wear is taking its space which requires a looser fit. On the CM side I think fitted is still in but not the painted on SuSu look (maybe guys figured out it wasn’t comfortable, didn’t look great and got tired of blowing out the elbows in their shirts and ripping the seat of their trousers?) as far as mainstream goes I think fitted but not trim is how I’d characterize it which lends itself to a lot of options and to stay on topic, TLBs lasts work well with whereas they may not be great with something not super fitted with like a 9-10” leg opening.

apd90700

Reaction score
Your use of the English language is similar to the way you appear to put your shoes to use. A broad vocabulary is good when you know how to use it properly. I’m a massive fan of good wordplay, but what you post isn’t that, you shoehorn big words into sentences where they don’t belong in the same way as you shoehorn a pair of Oxfords into a jeans and polo outfit.

Each is good in isolation, but doesn’t work in the way you are using it.

The word was used to say he's not taking things seriously, and in doing so being disrespectful. This word was something I learned when a movie critic was describing Ryan Reynolds' character Dead Pool, I feel that the majority of people use the word colloquially in the way I did above.

Your point on my word usage overall is right on the money. Earlier in the thread someone took offense to a metaphor I made in regards to their use of aren't instead of are [double negative]. The metaphor was used to illustrate how I could be pedantic in my writing, but I chose not to be. Similarly, in my clothing, I may use items that stand out, but overall I'm not overly rule bound by what I might pair one item or another with. Unfortunately for the person who took offense, they missed this point, and went on to criticize my writing pedantically, somewhat comically if the person realized what really was intended.
1623687392061.png

No one has ever commented on the fit of any of my shoes though, strangely.
I actually don't ask for opinions on the way the pictures look, I just post the pictures and receive criticism. Same with the way I talk. Seems analogous to a black person being singled out and told that the way they dress isn't appropriate, and they way they talk isn't appropriate. "You using big words boy. You think you're smarter than me?" I know it's not the same, as it's probably closer to how people are treated when they're new in the military or a fraternity.

@apd90700 have you ever considered that just because someone disagrees with you and expresses said difference of opinion it might not be an insult?

Further, have you ever considered that by asking for advice and then rebuffing the advice you are the one being disrespectful and rude?

If you ask for advice or feedback I would say the gracious thing to do is to take the negative on the chin knowing not everyone is going to agree with you or respectfully engaging in a discourse. In my view you're just being combative.
Of course, I understand that people have a difference of opinion, I've stated as much many times. This point you make is perfect -- when did I ask for advice on any of my fit pictures? Believe hazing is different than criticism.

Last edited:

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The word was used to say he's not taking things seriously, and in doing so being disrespectful. This word was something I learned when a movie critic was describing Ryan Reynolds' character Dead Pool, I feel that the majority of people use the word colloquially in the way I did above.

Your point on my word usage overall is right on the money. Earlier in the thread someone took offense to a metaphor I made in regards to their use of aren't instead of are [double negative]. The metaphor was used to illustrate how I could be pedantic in my writing, but I chose not to be. Similarly, in my clothing, I may use items that stand out, but overall I'm not overly rule bound by what I might pair one item or another with. Unfortunately for the person who took offense, they missed this point, and went on to criticize my writing pedantically, somewhat comically if the person realized what really was intended.
View attachment 1624503

I actually don't ask for opinions on the way the pictures look, I just post the pictures and receive criticism. Same with the way I talk. Seems analogous to a black person being singled out and told that the way they dress isn't appropriate, and they way they talk isn't appropriate. "You using big words boy. You think you're smarter than me?" I know it's not the same, as it's probably closer to how people are treated when they're new in the military or a fraternity.

Of course, I understand that people have a difference of opinion, I've stated as much many times. This point you make is perfect -- when did I ask for advice on any of my fit pictures? Believe hazing is different than criticism.
BE8B206C-40BB-48EB-AE7C-8E8909AAA2D3.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads