• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Made in Spain Footwear, including TLB Mallorca, Cobbler Union, Yanko, Norman Vilalta, etc

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of black captoe balmorals which lend themselves quite well to a proper mirror shine. I mean something which is a few steps above the photos you shared above, all of which also look lovely by the way. I shared a photo in my previous post as an example where that glass-like look really requires more layers of wax.

In my experience, it certainly cracks more than my other shoes which are polished to the same level. The flaking off also happens a lot on the heels when putting the shoes on and off.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel it’s been discussed ad nauseam. If you like the look, you are looking for validation. If you do not, you will not be convinced that it’s the best choice. Personally, a pair of desert/chukka boots with a leather that matches formality will always look better than oxfords and jeans (and chinos). Once again personally, the outfit says “I want to be the best dressed at a casual event” (nothing wrong with that), but missing the mark and looking like I swapped my dress slacks/chinos for jeans at the last moment.
I don’t even think it says “I want to be the best dressed” - it’s just a disjointed look. It’s not a “rules” thing either - I can do oxfords and tailored trousers, particularly worsteds with a jacket. It’s just that I can’t think of a single time when wearing oxfords don’t make an outfit with denim or chinos look worse than it would with just about any other shoe option. Adding a pair of field boots, chukkas and a sneaker (either GAT or a minimalist sneaker) opens up more options and looks better and we aren’t talking about a huge financial hit in the grand scheme of a wardrobe.

The same can be said for going the other way to understand an the desire for an outfit being coherent. Imagine someone wants to wear sneakers with tailoring. Let’s call them a hype shoe guy instead of a CM shoe guy. Would the outfit not look incoherent and like it was blending things that ought not be blended like tailoring and Nikes? Which part was the after thought? The sneakers or the suit? Or do they just have no idea what they’re doing? Why it would be ok to do the opposite is a mystery to me

Related: Not limited to oxfords but anything with a high shine on it or a mirror finish on the toe with denim, chinos or shorts is a weird look that just doesn’t flow either. I have a pair of short chelseas and a pair of black calf tassels that I keep a fairly high shine on to wear with tailoring and they just don’t look right to me with denim.

apd90700

Reaction score
Guess I can rephrase this, since that reply shows a lack of comprehension.

Previous posts insulting people who wear brogued oxfords with dark washed denim would be insulting the Gentlemen’s Gazette by virtue of their recommendations on the subject. Someone’s opinion is just that, an opinion. Know that it isn’t the only acceptable way of dressing oneself. Show some respect for others, instead of irreverence.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Previous posts insulting people who wear brogued oxfords with dark washed denim would be insulting the Gentlemen’s Gazette by virtue of their recommendations on the subject. Someone’s opinion is just that, an opinion. Know that it isn’t the only acceptable way of dressing oneself. Show some respect for others, instead of irreverence.
If you want to wear oxfords with denim then just effing do it. You’ve asked a bunch of times. You get the same answer. bringing in some random YouTube video on whether it’s socially acceptable to try and rationalize yourself doing it isn’t going to change minds. Is it socially acceptable in this day and age? Sure. So is wearing crocs. Is it a good look? The nicest thing I can say is that it’s way less offensive than other outfits that YouTube channel promotes. Would a casual outfit with denim look better with a pair of shoes that was more coherent? Abso-*******-lutely.

apd90700

Reaction score
If you want to wear oxfords with denim then just effing do it. You’ve asked a bunch of times. You get the same answer. bringing in some random YouTube video on whether it’s socially acceptable to try and rationalize yourself doing it isn’t going to change minds. Is it socially acceptable in this day and age? Sure. So is wearing crocs. Is it a good look? The nicest thing I can say is that it’s way less offensive than other outfits that YouTube channel promotes. Would a casual outfit with denim look better with a pair of shoes that was more coherent? Abso-*******-lutely.
Ah, confusion, I wasn’t asking for permission… I was retroactively invalidating the insults I was so ingraciously given when I posted a fit pic previously. Believe it is misunderstood that I’m needing guidance on what I believe looks good or not. I posted the brogued oxfords with denim pic because I DO like them. I disagree with your assessment, and since I’m not shown respect for my opinion I felt perhaps you’d feel chastized for insulting me when obviously it’s something acceptable given there is style guidance offered by GG. Million sub backed opinion.

GG double entendres intended.

Last edited:

Milksteakboiledhard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You asked for thoughts and I obliged. I'm not trying to convince you or anyone. They are shoes and clothes. Wear what makes you happy, but realize some people are going to like it, others will hate it, and most people won't even notice you. I can find YouTube videos by people who make more money than me spewing crap online who say wearing suits and sneakers is in. That doesn't influence what I think looks good. Half the outfits on this site look like trash to me, but I know the people wearing it don't care. Good for them.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You asked for thoughts and I obliged. I'm not trying to convince you or anyone. They are shoes and clothes. Wear what makes you happy, but realize some people are going to like it, others will hate it, and most people won't even notice you. I can find YouTube videos by people who make more money than me spewing crap online who say wearing suits and sneakers is in. That doesn't influence what I think looks good. Half the outfits on this site look like trash to me, but I know the people wearing it don't care. Good for them.
Half? You’re being generous - or haven’t found the shoe thread that shall not be named.

apd90700

Reaction score
Agreed. Apologies if my post caused umbrage, it wasn’t directed especially at you. I also feel the same about the item in bold, but I don’t like making people posting fit pics feel badly about themselves, and something they like. Especially not during the plague of our time, when they may have lost loved ones, and this may be all they have.

thehkshoeshiner

Reaction score

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah, confusion, I wasn’t asking for permission… I was retroactively invalidating the insults I was so ingraciously given when I posted a fit pic previously. Believe it is misunderstood that I’m needing guidance on what I believe looks good or not. I posted the brogued oxfords with denim pic because I DO like them. I disagree with your assessment, and since I’m not shown respect for my opinion I felt perhaps you’d feel chastized for insulting me when obviously it’s something acceptable given there is style guidance offered by GG. Million sub backed opinion.

GG double entendres intended.
Nowhere in my reply about denim and oxfords did I insult you. You asked for thoughts. I outlined why I thought there are better options and my logic behind it. As for their subscriber numbers I truly don’t care how many subscribers or video views they have I’m not wearing whatever is going on here
CE919C9F-3415-40A4-A7AD-ACC18CF0B882.jpeg
068EF511-8555-4407-BBD4-735D23076419.gif

apd90700

Reaction score
Nowhere in my reply about denim and oxfords did I insult you. You asked for thoughts. I outlined why I thought there are better options and my logic behind it. As for their subscriber numbers I truly don’t care how many subscribers or video views they have I’m not wearing whatever is going on here View attachment 1624308 View attachment 1624309
I asked for “thoughts” in a subtle hint to make you realize insulting me for my 14 minute mile look was probably uncouth.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics