• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Made in Spain Footwear, including TLB Mallorca, Cobbler Union, Yanko, Norman Vilalta, etc

apd90700

Reaction score
Speaking of mirror shine:

View attachment 1622754

Something I've noticed with TLB shoes is that the internal construction is a much softer one. Where there are stiffeners on the heels and the toe - these are much more pliable than the ones on higher-end English shoes. It's not great from my perspective as it makes the polish crack very easily and flake off.
We talking EG, G&G or JL? Those all are twice or more the price of TLB, but decent observation.

Nice mirrors there. Picasso 109 in Black Boxcalf?

JustPullHarder

Reaction score

View attachment 1622754

Something I've noticed with TLB shoes is that the internal construction is a much softer one. Where there are stiffeners on the heels and the toe - these are much more pliable than the ones on higher-end English shoes. It's not great from my perspective as it makes the polish crack very easily and flake off.
Do you think it's less interlining or the stiffeners don't run as far?

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1622754

Not just you. In general the TLB feels like a lighter shoe. I don’t have too much English stuff left in my rotation at this point to compare to but the toe is definitely a notch softer than my EG. If it’s a notch softer than my EG they’re maybe a half notch softer than my JLP. Compared elsewhere the stiffeners feel more firm than my Carmina. AM feel like they could stop a bullet compared to all of them.

They also just don’t feel as substantial in general as some of my other brands. That’s not a good or bad thing it’s just different. I actually kind of like it for a change of pace. I have lighter shoes I love and really freaking heavy (not chunky) shoes I love. At least with what’s in my closet the Italian stuff is really substantial, English stuff tends on the heavier side to me with Spanish and Japanese maybe being a little lighter? I’m not bothering to weigh my shoes out to actually check tonight but that’s what my gut tells me anyways.

The heel I notice the softness less. In general there just feels like there is maybe less material or thinner splits - This is probably impossible to show in a picture but what the hell I’ll try. I don’t have calipers handy to measure so a picture is what you’re going to get. EG left, TLB Artista right. Again just different.
FADDAA15-8A45-402A-B8F4-73F610AF9ED0.jpeg

thehkshoeshiner

Reaction score

View attachment 1622754

Quite good the shine~ :)

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you think it's less interlining or the stiffeners don't run as far?
I think @Jmr928 described it well. I'd also add that the arch support on the TLBs (in comparison with an EG) is non-existent. Yet another contributing factor in the very easy break-in process of the TLBs but I suspect something which would make them less comfortable to wear for prolonged periods of time (I have yet to try that).

Certainly though, at this price point, we can't be too picky. Just thought it's worth highlighting.

Quite good the shine~ :)
Thank you!

JustPullHarder

Reaction score
I find EG to be different depending on the shoe.

My Chelsea's are very stiff. Dover much less so. Galway's obviously aren't because shaft is unlined. Halifax and Nevis both quite stiff.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting article by @j ingevaldsson today - Expands a bit more on the conversations we had earlier this week. Glad to see it get wider distribution than the forum.

mrf

Reaction score
Interesting article by @j ingevaldsson today - Expands a bit more on the conversations we had earlier this week. Glad to see it get wider distribution than the forum.
think we should all get some credit for inspiring the article...

all joking aside, nice to see the positive reaction to it.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ Cheers!

Sorry to disappoint, but I actually wrote the article Monday evening CET, after I wrote my first posts on it here and when the discussion here had just started ? Didn't post until yesterday though since as standard I post new articles on Fridays and Sundays and needed to sort the translation for Swedish version.

Last edited:

thuhoan

Reaction score

View attachment 1622754

I experience the same thing, especially in the toes. I don't bother polishing to a mirror shine anymore.

apd90700

Reaction score
Thoughts? Brogued Oxfords with Denim.

Attachments

• 1623612487067.png
    1623612487067.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 92

Milksteakboiledhard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel it’s been discussed ad nauseam. If you like the look, you are looking for validation. If you do not, you will not be convinced that it’s the best choice. Personally, a pair of desert/chukka boots with a leather that matches formality will always look better than oxfords and jeans (and chinos). Once again personally, the outfit says “I want to be the best dressed at a casual event” (nothing wrong with that), but missing the mark and looking like I swapped my dress slacks/chinos for jeans at the last moment.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1622754

I experience the same thing, especially in the toes. I don't bother polishing to a mirror shine anymore.

I don't get how you guys polish your shoes, sounds like you have really thick layers of polish to have it "flake off". I got a decent shine on all my TLB's, not a crazy mirror shine but still, and have never had any issues, and not something heard from customers as being a problem.

Shots of some of them:

DSC03423.jpg

DSC03396.jpg

DSC03436.jpg

DSC03479-2.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics