• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Made in Spain Footwear, including TLB Mallorca, Cobbler Union, Yanko, Norman Vilalta, etc

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First wear today. First photo shows the color more accurately. The hatch grain is less pronounced than expected. The Senior sole is somewhat stiffer than the City sole, but that's the price you pay for increased durability. It's still much softer than your standard Dainite. I think Senior soles fit casual shoes like these very well, but for Oxfords I would definitely go City sole.
View attachment 1604423

My only gripe about the Senior is how small pebbles get stuck in the grooves, but this is a super minor thing.
View attachment 1604424

Construction wise, I believe Toni mentioned something about removing the shank on the Senior sole. I suppose the stiff leather waist acts as a shank (it doesn't actually bend when you walk). I can't say I noticed a difference from my other Artista with City soles on this point, which is a good thing.

The shank is there, it's needed for the strength of the waist, but they remove the build-up which creates the raised bevelling of the waist and further strengthens it a bit.

MacGuffen

Reaction score
The shank is there, it's needed for the strength of the waist, but they remove the build-up which creates the raised bevelling of the waist and further strengthens it a bit.
Thank you for the clarification. It may just have been a language thing. He wrote " We just take out the shank when we use Senior sole in order to keep well the union between the rubber and sole".

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the clarification. It may just have been a language thing. He wrote " We just take out the shank when we use Senior sole in order to keep well the union between the rubber and sole".

Yeah he means the build-up, just language mishap.

J.Ben

Reaction score
Long time reader here....I have 2 pairs of Tlb’s , one oxford and one derby. Derby is half a size shorter and shallower than the Oxford and is still more spacious ....is it possible to have a different width/ size for Oxford and derby?

apd90700

Reaction score
Long time reader here....I have 2 pairs of Tlb’s , one oxford and one derby. Derby is half a size shorter and shallower than the Oxford and is still more spacious ....is it possible to have a different width/ size for Oxford and derby?
Conjecture here, but believe Derby lasts for TLB at least are ostensibly wider. Go to the customization screen and you can select the different lasts. It shows a top down picture to give an idea.

apd90700

Reaction score
Got confirmation from Toni, that by request he can make a two-eye derby in whatever last/material. Hoping this becomes something they sell on the site. I really don't prefer three-eye derby styles compared with something sleeker like those below.

1620159053385.png

1620159112896.png

apd90700

Reaction score
I’m talking about same last , Goya
The structure of the throat being different between a derby and oxford should allow more wiggle room in the derby. Watched a video this morning where Kirby Allison was discussing just that -- he said something to the effect of derby being more casual shoes and as your foot swells the open throat allows for greater expansion. As to the veracity of the comment, uncertain, but seems plausible as to why you'd notice more play in a derby over an oxford. A loafer in Goya would also likely require a half size smaller than what you wear in oxford since you don't have the throat to hold your foot in.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got confirmation from Toni, that by request he can make a two-eye derby in whatever last/material. Hoping this becomes something they sell on the site. I really don't prefer three-eye derby styles compared with something sleeker like those below.

View attachment 1604557
View attachment 1604559
This seems like a very solid shoe for you based on how you plan to wear them and the rest of your wardrobe. Don’t go knocking 3 eyelet though - They definitely can get very sleek without looking French.

B090E0A7-5647-4897-83C4-14C306A0CF47.jpeg
B712C16D-128E-4CD1-8AA9-69E8450D7C08.jpeg
4826D2D0-2AA2-499E-990D-BB142B401C2B.jpeg
C61BDF8A-CEFD-4232-AB6F-DEC6F67230A7.jpeg

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like TLB’s split toe on the Velazquez last, but I think the beveled waist is totally out of place for it (and maybe other derbies with a chunky-ish look).

J.Ben

Reaction score
The structure of the throat being different between a derby and oxford should allow more wiggle room in the derby. Watched a video this morning where Kirby Allison was discussing just that -- he said something to the effect of derby being more casual shoes and as your foot swells the open throat allows for greater expansion. As to the veracity of the comment, uncertain, but seems plausible as to why you'd notice more play in a derby over an oxford. A loafer in Goya would also likely require a half size smaller than what you wear in oxford since you don't have the throat to hold your foot in.
Found this article that backs up the idea. https://shoegazing.com/2019/09/08/in-depth-how-pattern-affect-fit/
Does it mean that I could try with a derby that is one width size smaller? For example from G to F? Or same width but Half a size shorter ?

apd90700

Reaction score
Email Toni. Tell him the issue, he'll ask for your foot measurements, then you can go based on his recommendation.

apd90700

Reaction score
Alright, any detractors? Picasso 110 -- Fully Brogue Faux Wing [Stitched] in Vegano Brown Calf [neither dark or medium]. Single City Sole.

Timeless elegance. Smart casual.

1620401984473.png

1620402000362.png

1620402020862.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads