• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Made in Spain Footwear, including TLB Mallorca, Cobbler Union, Yanko, Norman Vilalta, etc

Kudoskaiser

Reaction score
Hoping to get some feedback on sizing for a TLB Artista Adelaide or Balmoral Oxford on Picasso last. The trouble is not many physical stores where I live to try similar brands to get a size to compare to.
My feet measure 27.9cm long, are quite flat with forefoot width of 10.5cm and forefoot circumference of 25cm.

I wear US11 in Nike and all my hiking boots are EUR 44.

Only two well known brands I could find in my city are Loake and RM Williams.

In the Loake Oxford they only had F and G widths to try. I felt most comfortable in 9.5UK F width.

In RM Williams Chelsea boot I fitted a 10F but only with orthotics in.

I don't plan on wearing orthotics with these next shoes.

Based on my length I was thinking I'd be a UK 9.5 or 10? Just not sure which width to get? A MTO in 10E or a 9.5 in F...

Shetterd

Reaction score
Based on my length I was thinking I'd be a UK 9.5 or 10? Just not sure which width to get? A MTO in 10E or a 9.5 in F...

This isn't really an answer, but if you have not tried TLB before and are unsure of sizing, it may be worth not getting an MTO as your first purchase so you can return/exchange for a different size without incurring too much of a sunk cost.

Kudoskaiser

Reaction score
This isn't really an answer, but if you have not tried TLB before and are unsure of sizing, it may be worth not getting an MTO as your first purchase so you can return/exchange for a different size without incurring too much of a sunk cost.
Sound advice. I just wasn't sure if MTO was the only way to get an E width if that's what was required .

Emil S

Reaction score
Hoping to get some feedback on sizing for a TLB Artista Adelaide or Balmoral Oxford on Picasso last. The trouble is not many physical stores where I live to try similar brands to get a size to compare to.
My feet measure 27.9cm long, are quite flat with forefoot width of 10.5cm and forefoot circumference of 25cm.

In the Loake Oxford they only had F and G widths to try. I felt most comfortable in 9.5UK F width.

Based on our experience you are most likely 9.5.

Boggis

Reaction score
Sound advice. I just wasn't sure if MTO was the only way to get an E width if that's what was required .
As someone who did & an MTO to get an E width on my first TLB order I'd second this advice.
You're better sticking with the standard stock to get a feel for sizing, because at least that way you can return if the fit isn't good.

apd90700

Reaction score

One thing about AceMarks is they have a decent size guide printout you can do to get your foot size. Make sure after you get the length, you use the appropriate length printout to get your width. This should tell you then the conversion to make from US to UK, EU, JP sizing.

Sounds like you know your size, but I'd give that a go anyway since you can never be too careful with these things.

I'd take my exact US measurement that the printout gives, then buy RTW from TLBMallorca directly on the Last you want to try, in the exact US to UK conversion length, with the F width if that's all that's offered. See if it fits. Note that if it is snug, you may have a break in period where it gets better, but if it's tight, may have your answer on the sizing. You could also if tight, exchange a size length up to see how that fits, but I won't comment on etiquette of that should you decide the larger size doesn't fit either.

P.S. Loafers seem to run large in fit, so if you are a usual UK 9.5 G width, the UK 9.5 F width may actually fit you well.

Last edited:

apd90700

Reaction score
A challenger appears for the Dark Brown!

Punch Cap Balmoral Oxford Dark Brown Museum [City]
1619723255287.png

1619723270306.png

1619723282384.png

apd90700

Reaction score
Predicated on process of elimination, leaning heavily for my first Dark Brown to be... Picasso 110. Still considering, but here are some thoughts.

Reasoning --
  1. I have yet to try the Picasso last, and since TLB offers free returns/exchanges, makes the $45 Skolyx return less optimal.
  2. The shoe shape is sleek, which as @Jmr928 mentioned goes better with the pant style I'll be wearing [slim/tapered] -- vs the Split Toe which is maybe not the best look for slim/taper.
    1. Yes - Not ideal for pairing with suits. if this pair is meant to be worn with suits I’d go another direction.

You were the guy who wanted a pretty slim fit from your suit right? If that’s the case I’d do the balmoral on Picasso with a leather sole. A split toe in grained leather will clash with most suits but especially so if you’re after a modern sleek look from your tailoring. Edit // Fabric will play into this as well. A flannel, tweed, etc would be better with a split toe. If you’re going worsted, sharkskin, etc definitely steer toward a more sleek oxford in a smooth leather.
  3. The majority of clothing will be more casual in design, rather than formal, so the hatch grain and fully-brogue pattern here won't clash overmuch with informal attire -- formal attire won't be worn often. But slim last with slim pant can work. Going with smooth calf leather could be maybe too formal in some of the casual settings these would be worn, making the captoes less optimal.
  4. The shoe is one I really like the looks of, so it's not like I'm settling for it, rather I had in my mind an even split between the first three pairs on the original post. This is maybe the "most shoe for the money" in that it includes a feature you'd need to do MTO on -- Double City Sole -- which should provide good durability for my first dark browns if I over wear them.
  5. Not to mention, I really like the idea of owning the 110 after Preston's Elegant Oxford review -- one of the many reasons I decided on TLB as my first nice shoe brand.

1619728995667.png

Last edited:

apd90700

Reaction score
Anyone have personal experience caring for Hatch Grain and if there are caveats to be aware of? Thinking that waxing the toe may be more difficult due to the grain texture?

Emil S

Reaction score
Anyone have personal experience caring for Hatch Grain and if there are caveats to be aware of? Thinking that waxing the toe may be more difficult due to the grain texture?
The grain structure is not hard to polish so just go ahead and make it shine :)

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As Emil says, no problems at all, achieved this rather quick, and could easily have gone on to get a more proper mirror shine if I'd wished to. The grain isn't as pronounced over the toe where it's been pulled harder during lasting, and the pores have been more compressed, compared to a regular smooth calf leather.

B1C0B3C0-EC96-470A-A389-015177C26B4F.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads