• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Made in Spain Footwear, including TLB Mallorca, Cobbler Union, Yanko, Norman Vilalta, etc

janoy89

Reaction score
Another vote for the split toe. The wingtip would be lovely on the brown old england leather though

apd90700

Reaction score
Any formality issues with a Blucher? First pair of dark browns.

Also, the wingtip is a double city sole if that sways anyone.

Last edited:

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any formality issues with a Blucher? First pair of dark browns.
Yes - Not ideal for pairing with suits. if this pair is meant to be worn with suits I’d go another direction.

You were the guy who wanted a pretty slim fit from your suit right? If that’s the case I’d do the balmoral on Picasso with a leather sole. A split toe in grained leather will clash with most suits but especially so if you’re after a modern sleek look from your tailoring. Edit // Fabric will play into this as well. A flannel, tweed, etc would be better with a split toe. If you’re going worsted, sharkskin, etc definitely steer toward a more sleek oxford in a smooth leather.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@apd90700 it’s not a firm and fast rule but if you’re just starting it’ll keep you out of trouble and simplify things - Here are some examples so you can see what I mean. A couple from @Betelgeuse that work very well. Oxfords with suits
247A80FF-BF4C-4BC0-A48B-6EFC6D0B485F.jpeg
22F77A4A-5863-49C0-84F2-EF0ABFE444E3.jpeg

106F4AF3-F8EB-4A48-A00D-0EA960378A34.jpeg

B982BE85-8E45-4142-8B1E-E0F23B7BC872.jpeg

You can see the split toe in a smooth leather with flannel trousers and a sport coat
0D36434E-F4EC-41D1-A22E-10BD2D9C19F8.jpeg

B330EEF3-8FEE-4C39-A336-5D429B5D50A7.jpeg

and then a couple from other people wearing grained split toes with chords/denim.
445AB025-C607-449E-863D-9DCD435EDD06.jpeg

2E074130-6E76-42E2-8E55-B94C377C3BF7.jpeg

971CAFA0-8178-4B74-90FF-538504911FAF.jpeg

I have a pair of hatch grain split toes and the brown balmoral. I’ll try and snap some side by side pictures with a relatively slim fit pair of trousers later.

Shetterd

Reaction score
My first TLB pair: Artista loafers! Tony sent some extra insoles, which make these a great fit. Without, there is some extra room, but that means thicker socks work, which will make these great when it's a little colder, too.

Attachments

• photo_2021-04-28_16-17-20.jpg
    photo_2021-04-28_16-17-20.jpg
    290.1 KB · Views: 78

apd90700

Reaction score
Yeah, was my concern going with the Blucher, and was like maybe the Wingtip could be ~more formal, albeit inherently informal from all the brogue-work. Definitely like Hatch Grain, but again less formal.

Thing is, I may be wearing dress trousers but no jacket, and often denim or chinos, but seldom full suits. Getting five or six pairs of most likely TLB in different styles in colors -- Derby, Oxford, Loafer, Monks, etc., so just trying for versatility with this first pass.

My first TLB pair: Artista loafers! Tony sent some extra insoles, which make these a great fit. Without, there is some extra room, but that means thicker socks work, which will make these great when it's a little colder, too.
Goya last 117? Did you size down half a size from usual? Lot of people mention wearing loafers down half a size.

Shetterd

Reaction score
Goya last 117? Did you size down half a size from usual? Lot of people mention wearing loafers down half a size.

Yes, that's the one. I did not size down. Spoke to Tony and he recommended my usual size, but sent some leather insoles along just in case, which have the exact shape of the midsole. Without the insoles but with thick socks, the fit is great. With thinner socks and insole, the fit is also excellent. So overall, I am very pleased.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, was my concern going with the Blucher, and was like maybe the Wingtip could be ~more formal, albeit inherently informal from all the brogue-work. Definitely like Hatch Grain, but again less formal.

Thing is, I may be wearing dress trousers but no jacket, and often denim or chinos, but seldom full suits. Getting five or six pairs of most likely TLB in different styles in colors -- Derby, Oxford, Loafer, Monks, etc., so just trying for versatility with this first pass.

If you don’t plan to wear them with a suit and more casually then I’d go split toe and not think twice. The only thing I’d consider is making sure they’ll work with your wardrobe. I dug and found an old pair with a 14” leg opening to demonstrate. Balmoral on Goya in dark brown vegano, split toe in burgundy hatch on a soft square and semi brogue in brown museum on a chiseled last. A pant leg that tapered requires a fairly sleek last and pattern to mesh up.
534360B2-2249-43AC-B2E6-7387930662FB.jpeg
5A552C99-33D8-4E04-83DB-2CD1500FE4CF.jpeg
9EB90B00-ACAB-49A5-AD20-4AFBCC145A3A.jpeg
0E16FD67-DFBB-49FB-BB9B-9780E1ED7167.jpeg
B20BE9E1-3280-4281-95E2-7AD781C3884E.jpeg
EB497DF8-CD85-4357-8023-013A46B957D5.jpeg
4AA2E865-3FE2-41F7-B613-91EAA2DD9F89.jpeg
8404A2DD-A765-413B-9275-F020A576FDB4.jpeg

apd90700

Reaction score
Let's get some pics of dem on does feet. Also considering a pair of the Goya 117 for my first Loafer.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally if I wanted bimaterial and a balmoral I’d probably do a boot over an oxford. To be fair though that’s all personal taste and I would probably still not add it to my collection - I would do a field boot in the smooth + suede. Am I remembering that mentioned the pair you were contemplating earlier was your first pair of better shoes?

apd90700

Reaction score
Personally if I wanted bimaterial and a balmoral I’d probably do a boot over an oxford. To be fair though that’s all personal taste and I would probably still not add it to my collection - I would do a field boot in the smooth + suede. Am I remembering that mentioned the pair you were contemplating earlier was your first pair of better shoes?
The split toe, wingtip or balmoral in calf are my dark brown options right now.

The bimaterial is a plain oe brown, also going for $270 with those selections and I don’t have any plain browns in mind.

The dark brown should be versatile, since I have no other dark browns.

Last edited:

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The split toe, wingtip or balmoral in calf are my dark brown options right now.

The bimaterial is a plain oe brown, also going for $270 with those selections and I don’t have any plain browns in mind.
If you’ve already got basics covered and know what you like then sure. It doesn’t seem like a first brown oxford to me though if that’s what gap it’s filling.

Speaking from experience - There’s something to be said for building a collection slowly and figuring out what you really want. Grabbing a shoe from a brand, getting a feel for whether you like their stuff, how the last fits you, how you’re going to wear it.

You mentioned mainly trousers or chinos and occasionally a jacket - that sounds like derby to me. The split toe you identified is great and versatile with that but would be tough to dress up with a suit or if you opt to stick with a narrow leg opening - it could potentially be tough if you go for the sleek look in most of your things.

another option if that’s the case that you want to go for a sleek look would be tracking down the 114 on Picasso in dark brown or going MTO (Not my pictures) for a slightly sleeker look that might flow with that aesthetic a little better and might be a little more versatile. Some might disagree but I think it’s also sleek enough to work with a suit in a pinch
1D3ABEC5-B584-4C82-A404-69B9FDBDB556.jpeg
1C74680F-6A5A-4119-8F92-26445BEF2317.jpeg

From there once you’ve got fit nailed down and know you like TLB - you could go with an oxford in black, dark brown or burgundy could be good (that dark brown balmoral you posted initially would be a good place holder here) or you could go more casual with the split toe derby you posted.

fourth pair if you opted for split toe and oxford I’d add after doing the split toe and the oxford would be a boot - maybe a chukka in a dark brown suede or a loafer in polo or dark brown suede depending on your region.

apd90700

Reaction score
If you’ve already got basics covered and know what you like then sure. It doesn’t seem like a first brown oxford to me though if that’s what gap it’s filling.

Speaking from experience - There’s something to be said for building a collection slowly and figuring out what you really want. Grabbing a shoe from a brand, getting a feel for whether you like their stuff, how the last fits you, how you’re going to wear it.

You mentioned mainly trousers or chinos and occasionally a jacket - that sounds like derby to me. The split toe you identified is great and versatile with that but would be tough to dress up with a suit or if you opt to stick with a narrow leg opening - it could potentially be tough if you go for the sleek look in most of your things.

another option if that’s the case that you want to go for a sleek look would be tracking down the 114 on Picasso in dark brown or going MTO (Not my pictures) for a slightly sleeker look that might flow with that aesthetic a little better and might be a little more versatile. Some might disagree but I think it’s also sleek enough to work with a suit in a pinch View attachment 1601367 View attachment 1601368

From there once you’ve got fit nailed down and know you like TLB - you could go with an oxford in black, dark brown or burgundy could be good (that dark brown balmoral you posted initially would be a good place holder here) or you could go more casual with the split toe derby you posted.

fourth pair if you opted for split toe and oxford I’d add after doing the split toe and the oxford would be a boot - maybe a chukka in a dark brown suede or a loafer in polo or dark brown suede depending on your region.
All good suggestions and options. Looking to add such a Loafer, Goya 117 maybe, narrow pant hem may lend more toward the loafer look. For the boot chukka or even something in the more military style with commando sole if we get snow.

Yeah, I’m pretty sold on TLB for value. As for last fitting that was also a concern, so was looking at the dark brown balmoral for versatility along with being Picasso to test the waters and ensure that the last fits for other possible options down the road. The Velazquez while lit doesn’t share last with many other options. Then the wingtip has the shared last, is sleek, is hatch dark brown, so was like maybe could make it work?

I agree with the waiting game to pick exact options, but also need shoes to rotate or risk wearing the early pairs out.

Any light brown opinions? Austerity Brogue Picasso?

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All good suggestions and options. Looking to add such a Loafer, Goya 117 maybe, narrow pant hem may lend more toward the loafer look. For the boot chukka or even something in the more military style with commando sole if we get snow.

Yeah, I’m pretty sold on TLB for value. As for last fitting that was also a concern, so was looking at the dark brown balmoral for versatility along with being Picasso to test the waters and ensure that the last fits for other possible options down the road. The Velazquez while lit doesn’t share last with many other options. Then the wingtip has the shared last, is sleek, is hatch dark brown, so was like maybe could make it work?

I agree with the waiting game to pick exact options, but also need shoes to rotate or risk wearing the early pairs out.

Any light brown opinions? Austerity Brogue Picasso?
TLB if the last fits you is nice because only the toe shape changes. Rest of the fit stays similar or same which is handy.

I avoid light brown and tans - particularly oxfords. Hard to pair well because it clashes. I suppose if you had really light grey but even then I’d rather do black or dark brown or even burgundy/oxblood.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads