• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Made in Spain Footwear, including TLB Mallorca, Cobbler Union, Yanko, Norman Vilalta, etc

Jazzthief

Reaction score
Do you guys have experience with TLB shipping times? How long does it usually take for them to ship and what carrier do they use? Thanks!
I just received my first order from them. It took a fortnight as I understand the shoes were not in stock and they manufactured them per my order. It was a ready-to-wear pair, but they apparently do not stock large quantities. After the shoes were ready they dispatched them immediately and they arrived in 24 hours with DHL. Most of the time it does not take two weeks according to others in this thread as they do stock some quantities, but not mass stock.

Last edited:

Potatoe

Reaction score
Yeah, for this reason I held off buying my first pair of nice shoes as a Black Captoe Oxford from Vass for $440 USD [330 eu + 40 eu shipping]. I didn't like the looks of the P2 last nor the fact that the soles appeared to be so so finishing wise [even with JR soles], even if it's only something I'd be looking at. Lot of talk on how handwelting is superior, but by that same point if it was always true then Meermin LM would be better than all Goodyear Welted shoes, which I believe to be false.

If you are looking for a black oxford from Vass the one to get is the F. P2 is a more casual last and typically used in their derbies. I would not buy on Oxford on P2, it would always be on F or U.

Alt English * F - Vass Shoes (vass-shoes.com)

This one is 320 euros including shipping and lasted shoe trees.

Hand welting does not necessarily make the shoe better than GYW, but the combination of the Hand welting, excellent leather, and refined lasts makes Vass an extremely compelling brand.

I do appreciate the additional sole finishing done by a lot of more expensive brands but I'm not sure I want to pay for it. My soles always look like crap after a few wears.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are looking for a black oxford from Vass the one to get is the F. P2 is a more casual last and typically used in their derbies. I would not buy on Oxford on P2, it would always be on F or U.

Hand welting does not necessarily make the shoe better than GYW, but the combination of the Hand welting, excellent leather, and refined lasts makes Vass an extremely compelling brand.

I do appreciate the additional sole finishing done by a lot of more expensive brands but I'm not sure I want to pay for it. My soles always look like crap after a few wears.

Agree. However, I found the F last in a derby too narrow for my feet even though the F last in a chukka was fine. I wish there was something in between the F and P2 last (like the Buday Frakno last).

apd90700

Reaction score

Not in my size but is nice. Another reason I am hesitant to buy from Vass is I've read their customer service is sub-par, so getting a response from them can be difficult.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Commando lug sole is the only way to go for grip. Inca, york, senior, leather, city rubber, etc. aren't gonna do much in ice.
If you're thinking of ice nothing is going to fully save you. My rankings would probably look something like leather, Dainite, City, Vibram Eton (their version of Dainite), Ridgeway, Commando.

If you're just trying to get from A to B any of City, Eton, Ridgeway or Commando should be just fine for you. I add a Vibram topsole for most of my winter shoes with leather soles to have a little extra grip - The one I tried this winter on my beaters for the really nasty days when I couldn't do boots on the advice of my cobbler is called Raptor I think and is designed for ice and snow and it worked well but the explosion or regular topy help too.

Screen Shot 2021-04-13 at 1.51.13 PM.png

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're thinking of ice nothing is going to fully save you. My rankings would probably look something like leather, Dainite, City, Vibram Eton (their version of Dainite), Ridgeway, Commando.

If you're just trying to get from A to B any of City, Eton, Ridgeway or Commando should be just fine for you. I add a Vibram topsole for most of my winter shoes with leather soles to have a little extra grip - The one I tried this winter on my beaters for the really nasty days when I couldn't do boots on the advice of my cobbler is called Raptor I think and is designed for ice and snow and it worked well but the explosion or regular topy help too.

View attachment 1592464
Yup, ice is ice. Because of my personal distaste for the lug sole look, I usually just go with Dainite, and walk in the deeper snow instead of the slick sidewalk. I am way too concerned with what the bottom of my shoe looks like. o_O

(P.S. in case anyone was wondering, Patrick Star will be my profile picture until I lose 30 lbs)

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup, ice is ice. Because of my personal distaste for the lug sole look, I usually just go with Dainite, and walk in the deeper snow instead of the slick sidewalk. I am way too concerned with what the bottom of my shoe looks like. o_O

(P.S. in case anyone was wondering, Patrick Star will be my profile picture until I lose 30 lbs)
If you’re good with the look of dainite - a lot of brands proprietary dainite look alike soles are better for grip - the vibram eton is much better as well. The softer rubber helps with grip.

Jazzthief

Reaction score
If you’re good with the look of dainite - a lot of brands proprietary dainite look alike soles are better for grip - the vibram eton is much better as well. The softer rubber helps with grip.
And what are these Vibram Eton soles? TLB's page has no mention of soles with such a name.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And what are these Vibram Eton soles? TLB's page has no mention of soles with such a name.
It’s an aftermarket sole that basically looks like dainite but is the exact opposite in feel
C3631462-F347-4495-936E-724841A272D2.jpeg

like I mentioned though I’d check with Toni though about their branded dainite look alike and ask if it’s on the softer side for composition because a lot of the branded versions have better performance than dainite.

Jazzthief

Reaction score
It’s an aftermarket sole that basically looks like dainite but is the exact opposite in feel
View attachment 1592482
like I mentioned though I’d check with Toni though about their branded dainite look alike and ask if it’s on the softer side for composition because a lot of the branded versions have better performance than dainite.

Thanks!

apd90700

Reaction score
Anyone with Vegano Burgundy want to weigh in on whether they recommend Saphir Burgundy or Mahogany Pate De Luxe for regular care?

1618343292527.png

apd90700

Reaction score
I've used both. It depends if you want to add a brownish tone look or deepen the red tones toward purple
Which did you prefer? In my mind, Mahogany sounds better to go towards a brownish red rather than violet.

Also, any reason to not just use Neutral Pate De Luxe on all the shoes?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads