• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Made in Spain Footwear, including TLB Mallorca, Cobbler Union, Yanko, Norman Vilalta, etc

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ordered an MTO with hatch grain leather a few days ago. It will be very different from anything else I have seen posted on this thread. I can't wait to get them.

Boggis

Reaction score
Received my MTO brown suede Artista chukkas on the Goya last. I've got to say I agree with @te0o regarding them looking "too smart" for casual wear.

They're very nice looking, but quite striking in terms of their sleekness which I imagine would look great on an Oxford. I think a rounder more bulbous toe would work better with this style.

Unfortunately for me the fit wasn't a win, which is a bummer as they're MTO and unreturnable. I was really hoping TLB would be a good fit for me as I like a lot of their models and their MTO uplift fee is very reasonable compared to English makers. However despite being a narrow last, it has the same problems I usually have with shoes namely the toe box tapers too quickly leaving my toes cramped, particularly the small toe on my larger foot. Fit through the mid-foot is very good, but the heel is slightly loose which rules out sizing up to a 10.5 to accommodate the toes. Realistically my width is probably two notches below standard, rather than one.

Hopefully I can still wear them even if the fit isn't spot on, but will probably limit them to wearing with smarter dark jeans, pale chinos and grey flannels. The suede is beautiful and I like the city sole.

Meanwhile, the sizing quest continues.

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Boggis, I am sorry to hear that. Hopefully, they will mould to your feet a bit better with time.
I put some lighter coloured laces on my pair which managed to reduce the formal appearance somewhat. I have to say they have grown on me a bit since and they do work with dark denim or chinos that aren't too wide in the leg. Given the price, I'm still counting them as a success, despite the fact they'll be filling a smaller hole in my wardrobe than I initially hoped.

Last edited:

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Received my MTO brown suede Artista chukkas on the Goya last. I've got to say I agree with @te0o regarding them looking "too smart" for casual wear.

They're very nice looking, but quite striking in terms of their sleekness which I imagine would look great on an Oxford. I think a rounder more bulbous toe would work better with this style.

Unfortunately for me the fit wasn't a win, which is a bummer as they're MTO and unreturnable. I was really hoping TLB would be a good fit for me as I like a lot of their models and their MTO uplift fee is very reasonable compared to English makers. However despite being a narrow last, it has the same problems I usually have with shoes namely the toe box tapers too quickly leaving my toes cramped, particularly the small toe on my larger foot. Fit through the mid-foot is very good, but the heel is slightly loose which rules out sizing up to a 10.5 to accommodate the toes. Realistically my width is probably two notches below standard, rather than one.

Hopefully I can still wear them even if the fit isn't spot on, but will probably limit them to wearing with smarter dark jeans, pale chinos and grey flannels. The suede is beautiful and I like the city sole.

What size and width did you choose?

thedose

Reaction score

The same thing happened with me with their Mainline Alan last in F width. The toe is just too slender too soon, and it doesn't work.

I may give the Bryan, or some of their other lasts a try -- maybe. But we will see. I will not MTO anything until I know which last works for me.

A shame, because the mainline shoes I tried were awesome.

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're a 10 E.

I'll try play around with lighter socks to see if it works better, I'd originally wore thick socks to try them on.
I had the same exact problem with the 10 E Goya, loose in the heel and tight in the toes. On my next pair (on the Picasso) I went 9.5 F and added an insole. They fit almost perfectly. I also have a pair on the Alan last that are 10 E. They fit well too, but they are Old England leather which is softer.

The help looseness might go away once the shoes are less stiff, and the toe pressure might lessen if you break them in. Hope that helps a little.

Boggis

Reaction score
I had the same exact problem with the 10 E Goya, loose in the heel and tight in the toes. On my next pair (on the Picasso) I went 9.5 F and added an insole. They fit almost perfectly. I also have a pair on the Alan last that are 10 E. They fit well too, but they are Old England leather which is softer.

The help looseness might go away once the shoes are less stiff, and the toe pressure might lessen if you break them in. Hope that helps a little.
That's very interesting, thanks. I'm still feeling out the best ways of finding a good fit size wise and I had hoped going for a longer length would buy space before the toe started to taper, but no luck.
I'll definitely consider trying the F width in 9.5 with an insole before giving up on TLB.

Boggis

Reaction score
The same thing happened with me with their Mainline Alan last in F width. The toe is just too slender too soon, and it doesn't work.

I may give the Bryan, or some of their other lasts a try -- maybe. But we will see. I will not MTO anything until I know which last works for me.

A shame, because the mainline shoes I tried were awesome.
Yeah my impatience got the better of me and I pulled the trigger on the MTO, but ideally I'd like to try a few of their models in person. I think once travel is possible again I'll be making a trip to Mallorca to see if they have any lasts that work better for me, can also combine it with a trip to Carmina to see if they've anything that could work.

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's very interesting, thanks. I'm still feeling out the best ways of finding a good fit size wise and I had hoped going for a longer length would buy space before the toe started to taper, but no luck.
I'll definitely consider trying the F width in 9.5 with an insole before giving up on TLB.
Hope it works for you. Here are my 9.5 F ones.
2020-05-09 16.18.33.jpeg
Pica.jpeg

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I MTO ed some boots in hatch grain leather. Toni said he would have to modify the pattern to the last I selected. That was 2 weeks ago, and now I already got a shipment notification!

Xune

Reaction score
I MTO ed some boots in hatch grain leather. Toni said he would have to modify the pattern to the last I selected. That was 2 weeks ago, and now I already got a shipment notification!
Pretty please, share some pictures of the leather :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads