• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Made in Spain Footwear, including TLB Mallorca, Cobbler Union, Yanko, Norman Vilalta, etc

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I asked Toni as well but seems like not anytime soon. I just purchase the shoes and have toe plates done in other shop.
When did you speak to Toni?

I asked him too about 2 weeks ago and he said the metal toe taps are supposed to be introduced shortly - 2/3 weeks, after they arrange it with their supplier and add the functionality to the website. 2-3 weeks might be optimistic indeed but I guess we will have it by the spring.

thehkshoeshiner

Reaction score
When did you speak to Toni?

I asked him too about 2 weeks ago and he said the metal toe taps are supposed to be introduced shortly - 2/3 weeks, after they arrange it with their supplier and add the functionality to the website. 2-3 weeks might be optimistic indeed but I guess we will have it by the spring.
Nice! I asked him in 2020 so I guess your information is most updated.

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Does somebody own the Artista Penny Loafers and would like to share some pics?

tlb-artista-penny-loafer-vegano-burgundy.jpg

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are there any plans to introduce Artista tassel loafers?

Already introduced, two versions :) One with strap along the opening on the Goya last, one with inverted stitching along the opening on Dali last. Various versions are available at several retailers, and will be up on the TLB site as well, just think they haven't had time to shoot them yet.

skolyx_20200921-227 (kopia).jpg

216e79f172090fe976d7d3fba4ab9581.jpg

Last edited:

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone from the UK ordered TLB shoes post-Brexit? From what I understand there are no import duties, however not sure how things stand when it comes to paying VAT and if there are any customs checks at all given they are shipped via UPS.
I’d be interested to know as well - are TLB taking the Spanish VAT off at source so that we can pay UK VAT on import, or are they including UK VAT at source?

Boggis

Reaction score
I’d be interested to know as well - are TLB taking the Spanish VAT off at source so that we can pay UK VAT on import, or are they including UK VAT at source?

Also curious to hear peoples experience ordering from TLB post Brexit.

My understanding of the new VAT rules is that for items priced below £135 UK VAT should be levied at point of sale, which obviously requires the seller to be registered with HMRC which not everyone will be willing to do, particularly smaller retailers.

TLB shoes are priced above that threshold however so VAT is levied at the point it enters the UK by customs, so I'd expect when buying from TLB that spanish VAT is not charged as the goods are bound for the UK.

Where it gets complicated is when you've paid VAT to UK customs (+ parcelforce handling surcharge) and then need to return the shoe for an exchange... what paperwork do you need and who do you get it from?

#brexitbenefits

Emil S

Reaction score
Also curious to hear peoples experience ordering from TLB post Brexit.

My understanding of the new VAT rules is that for items priced below £135 UK VAT should be levied at point of sale, which obviously requires the seller to be registered with HMRC which not everyone will be willing to do, particularly smaller retailers.

TLB shoes are priced above that threshold however so VAT is levied at the point it enters the UK by customs, so I'd expect when buying from TLB that spanish VAT is not charged as the goods are bound for the UK.

Where it gets complicated is when you've paid VAT to UK customs (+ parcelforce handling surcharge) and then need to return the shoe for an exchange... what paperwork do you need and who do you get it from?

#brexitbenefits
Usually a return (export) is handled by same company as import. So if the return is made by the same company they can refer to original shipment and file for return & replace, then same thing for new shipment. Its not adviced to for example get a shipment with ups/dhl, use national post for return and then ups/dhl for new shipment. That makes it hard for involved shipping companies to know previous handling. This is not something new and hard, about the same thing as switzerland, norway etc.

Schweino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Usually a return (export) is handled by same company as import. So if the return is made by the same company they can refer to original shipment and file for return & replace, then same thing for new shipment. Its not adviced to for example get a shipment with ups/dhl, use national post for return and then ups/dhl for new shipment. That makes it hard for involved shipping companies to know previous handling. This is not something new and hard, about the same thing as switzerland, norway etc.

I think this only works when the seller handles the VAT for you in advance so the buyer doesn't have to pay VAT upon delivery.

I ordered some boots last year from Cavour when they didn't handle the VAT themselves yet and had to pay VAT (+ handling) upon receipt. I returned some of the boots and had to contact customs myself to get the paid VAT back (which I didn't do because it was such a hassle).

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks to me that the price on TLB's website is shown without any VAT which is then charged at the point of entry in the UK, as Boggies said. From what I understand, it is for UPS to notify you of the outstanding charges (VAT + customs duty + any handling charges, which you pay online) at which point they can release the shipment to you.

I'll try out the process as soon as TLB introduces the metal toe taps option in the customisation tool.

LThomsen

Reaction score
It looks to me that the price on TLB's website is shown without any VAT which is then charged at the point of entry in the UK, as Boggies said. From what I understand, it is for UPS to notify you of the outstanding charges (VAT + customs duty + any handling charges, which you pay online) at which point they can release the shipment to you.

I'll try out the process as soon as TLB introduces the metal toe taps option in the customisation tool.
Any update on when metal toe taps will be available on the tlb website?

Emil S

Reaction score
I think this only works when the seller handles the VAT for you in advance so the buyer doesn't have to pay VAT upon delivery.

I ordered some boots last year from Cavour when they didn't handle the VAT themselves yet and had to pay VAT (+ handling) upon receipt. I returned some of the boots and had to contact customs myself to get the paid VAT back (which I didn't do because it was such a hassle).
Yes. Thats the way for return, sorry i though we discussed exchange.

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any update on when metal toe taps will be available on the tlb website?
I haven’t heard anything new since I spoke with Toni in the beginning of January. I was told 2-3 weeks to sort out supply and add the feature to the website.

I personally think this is a fairly optimistic timeline and we’re more likely to see this happen at some point in March/April.

If anyone has more recent intel - would be great to get an update.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads