• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Made in Spain Footwear, including TLB Mallorca, Cobbler Union, Yanko, Norman Vilalta, etc

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Edited:
Just read a post on Wechat from Medallion's official account on their newly laughed TLB products:
It says that TLB makes a special product line "TM" for Medallion, which is a "more advanced"/ "upgraded" product line - better balance, arch support, design, .... (seems to be nothing on the technical side except arch support)
All leather sourced from Annonay, all used JR outsole, all insole from Italy tannery.

Everything is the same on the shoes Medallion has with the regular Artista range, except the last that is especially developed for Medallion and that they have JR soles (which as you know you can also choose when order Artista MTO).

Encore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Everything is the same on the shoes Medallion has with the regular Artista range, except the last that is especially developed for Medallion and that they have JR soles (which as you know you can also choose when order Artista MTO).
I was quoting from the article I read, I can't verify if it's true or not. Medallion is very good at taking photos... so I don't think I can compare them by photos.. unless I asked a sales..

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was quoting from the article I read, I can't verify if it's true or not. Medallion is very good at taking photos... so I don't think I can compare them by photos.. unless I asked a sales..

The one who makes the shoes knows for sure, so you don't have to wonder ?

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Edited:
Just read a post on Wechat from Medallion's official account on their newly laughed TLB products:
It says that TLB makes a special product line "TM" for Medallion, which is a "more advanced"/ "upgraded" product line - better balance, arch support, design, .... (seems to be nothing on the technical side except arch support)
All leather sourced from Annonay, all used JR outsole, all insole from Italy tannery.
I got an updated quote from them as well - $560 USD. Unclear if that included shipping. They said the person who designed the lasts did the both TLB and ACME lasts. They were limited on any technical upgrades when I asked. They look nice but unless there was a unique leather I wanted from the line I'm not sure the upcharge from MTO with JR soles for the Medallion line looks worth it to me, YMMV. I could even buy a RTW pair, send it off to a patina artist and still come out ahead (based on current pricing since I'm doing this with one of my pairs currently) although without the JR soles.

I guess the true test will be if someone can do a side by side but when I start getting up to the $600 mark I'm able to start considering things like a number of the Chinese handwelted options, Bonafe, Vass, G&G classics, Meccariello's Argentum and am spending that while I could be spending 50% less on RTW Artista. TLB's Artista line I still think puts out a shoe that punches well above its weight class and is in my opinion the best shoe available at its price point. When you start getting up to $600 it's still a good shoe that may compete there but I'm not sure it's the clear runaway winner that it is at $400.

Encore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even if what Medallion wrote in the article is true, I probably wouldn't spend $200 that on the "TM" line, the "upgrade" doesn't seem worth it.
However, i have to say, the photos from Medallion does look better than other retailers. Of course I am talking about my opinion only.

Just pulled the trigger on Artista SpTD yesterday, didn't ask for belt but shoe trees instead. A bit worried as I know their instep are high, not sure if that can be filled by tongue pads...
Looking forward to receive them.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even if what Medallion wrote in the article is true, I probably wouldn't spend $200 that on the "TM" line, the "upgrade" doesn't seem worth it.
However, i have to say, the photos from Medallion does look better than other retailers. Of course I am talking about my opinion only.

Just pulled the trigger on Artista SpTD yesterday, didn't ask for belt but shoe trees instead. A bit worried as I know their instep are high, not sure if that can be filled by tongue pads...
Not sure how low your instep is but I have a pretty low instep, low volume foot and could wear my Artista oxfords comfortably without a tongue pad - I just don't get any v gap. With a single tongue pad they're pretty much perfect. In my case it seems lower than Vass U, much lower than my Yeossal SG65 that were unwearable, not as low as my english shoes.

Encore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure how low your instep is but I have a pretty low instep, low volume foot and could wear my Artista oxfords comfortably without a tongue pad - I just don't get any v gap. With a single tongue pad they're pretty much perfect. In my case it seems lower than Vass U, much lower than my Yeossal SG65 that were unwearable, not as low as my english shoes.
I tried a TLB loafers in 7.5 (my normal size) before, a bit big in length, the one I tried on already had a tongue pad but there's still gap in instep. I went for a size 7 this time, I think it should help, but anyway, its probably just a couple days away.......

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Since I haven't read Medallion's exact wording can't say exactly what they wrote, but to me doesn't sound like they "lied" at all just that some might interpret it as more than it is (as it sounds like you did).

The price seems very reasonable, given that they have some import taxes I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) and JR soles. You have to take into account that when you say $400 it's for those of you who can deduct European VAT, still get free shipping and don't have to pay any import costs, in Europe RRP is €425 corresponding to $510 (which IMO and our customers opinion already that is an incredible price).

You US folks rarely think about how spoiled you are ?

Last edited:

karw88

Reaction score
Hello, great shoes everyone!

I have never owned any good quality shoes. They are usually $100 or less.
I'm finally looking to buy a pair and have shortlisted TLB Mallorca, Yanko and Enzo Bonafe (Discounted). I can try and get them locally but they only have brogue oxford cap toe.

As I'm revamping my wardrobe, I've read that the first pair should be a classic plain oxford cap toe. I don't have any dress code to follow at work and I'm really liking the brogue oxford cap toe from the makers I shortlisted. Do you think I should start with a plain oxford cap toe or a brogue oxford cap toe is fine?

Thanks

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm finally looking to buy a pair and have shortlisted TLB Mallorca, Yanko and Enzo Bonafe (Discounted). I can try and get them locally but they only have brogue oxford cap toe.

As I'm revamping my wardrobe, I've read that the first pair should be a classic plain oxford cap toe. I don't have any dress code to follow at work and I'm really liking the brogue oxford cap toe from the makers I shortlisted. Do you think I should start with a plain oxford cap toe or a brogue oxford cap toe is fine?

Thanks
Congrats on making the jump to quality shoes. In my far from expert opinion, the plain black cap toe as your first shoe suggestion I think is over hyped. I’d think about your wardrobe and how you plan to wear them and go from there. The other thing to consider is ensuring that if you plan to wear them to your office you likely don’t want to wear the same shoes two days in a row so they can have some time to recover. Regarding the various brands and designs each has its benefits but above all fit is king - Each maker has different lasts that make the shape of the shoe you’re looking at and they’ll all likely fit you slightly differently so if possible (it sounds like you have the option) I’d try them all on and see which gives you the best fit and then if there is a last/toe shape/pattern/color from the maker that fits best that jumps out at you. Good luck on your journey.

LThomsen

Reaction score

Thanks
Welcome and great questions. Would you be willing to share some additional info about your self, ie, your age, occupation, where you live and where will you be wearing the shoes and with what types of pants, shirts, etc?

Encore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks

I will suggest a Derby instead of Oxford, Oxford is better to wear with suits or at least trousers + SC. Derby on the other hand will fit more occasions. I will actually suggest the Split Toe Derby as it's a timeless style that can both dress up and dress down.

karw88

Reaction score
Congrats on making the jump to quality shoes. In my far from expert opinion, the plain black cap toe as your first shoe suggestion I think is over hyped. I’d think about your wardrobe and how you plan to wear them and go from there. The other thing to consider is ensuring that if you plan to wear them to your office you likely don’t want to wear the same shoes two days in a row so they can have some time to recover. Regarding the various brands and designs each has its benefits but above all fit is king - Each maker has different lasts that make the shape of the shoe you’re looking at and they’ll all likely fit you slightly differently so if possible (it sounds like you have the option) I’d try them all on and see which gives you the best fit and then if there is a last/toe shape/pattern/color from the maker that fits best that jumps out at you. Good luck on your journey.

Hi, thanks for the great advice. I have tried Enzo Bonafe and Yanko, Enzo Bonafe feels better on my feet. Going to try TLB this weekend before deciding which to get.

Welcome and great questions. Would you be willing to share some additional info about your self, ie, your age, occupation, where you live and where will you be wearing the shoes and with what types of pants, shirts, etc?

Hi, I'm 32 and I'm a corporate trainer. I live in Singapore and will be wearing the shoes mainly to work. My style is conservative and I prefer the classics. I wear plain white/blue shirts with black/grey/navy pants on most days. (60%) On some occasion I will wear a jacket or suit. (Navy/black) (40%).

Cheshire symposium

Reaction score

Thanks
I have always pondered whether if I was starting from scratch again, would I make my initially purchases from the mid tier (TLB, Carmina, etc) or pay a few hundred more and go straight into the upper tier of RTW (Edward Green etc)?

LThomsen

Reaction score
Hi, thanks for the great advice. I have tried Enzo Bonafe and Yanko, Enzo Bonafe feels better on my feet. Going to try TLB this weekend before deciding which to get.

Hi, I'm 32 and I'm a corporate trainer. I live in Singapore and will be wearing the shoes mainly to work. My style is conservative and I prefer the classics. I wear plain white/blue shirts with black/grey/navy pants on most days. (60%) On some occasion I will wear a jacket or suit. (Navy/black) (40%).
Good to hear that you have tried on EB and will try on TLB this weekend. Fit is the most important. Both make very good shoes. Let us know which one you buy. Given what you wear to work, I would buy a couple dark brown and burgundy oxfords with shoe trees. I like the look of TLB's brown box calf leather Oxfords from their mto program.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads