• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Made in Spain Footwear, including TLB Mallorca, Cobbler Union, Yanko, Norman Vilalta, etc

nevaeh

Reaction score
Hi gents, my first two pairs of TLBs will be deliverd soon, so I'd like to ask something about the shoe care as I would always shine my new shoes before wearing:

1.As for Vegano leather, is it safe to use Saphir Renovateur on them, without stripping factory finish? and what about Saphir Renomat?
2.Same questions but for TLB's Museum Calf.(though my 2 pairs are both Vegano, but interested in Museum Calf to be my next purchase)

Thanks in advance and I'll post pics of my TLBs when I receive them : )

Hi @Mirror_Mau. Saphir Renovateur should be fine for both the vegano and museum calf leathers. For a more authoritative source than me, refer to the the “shoe care” instructions on @Skolyx’s website here:

With the Renovateur, the key is to use it sparingly. And you should also test it on a less visible part of the shoe, perhaps further down the tongue, before applying to the whole shoe.

As for Renomat, I personally stay away from it. If it’s not used with due care, it’s easy to strip the factory finish. I use Boot Black’s High Shine Cleaner or Two Face Plus Lotion instead. Sometimes, I’ll use saddle soap also.

What shoes did you end up getting?

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi gents, my first two pairs of TLBs will be deliverd soon, so I'd like to ask something about the shoe care as I would always shine my new shoes before wearing:

1.As for Vegano leather, is it safe to use Saphir Renovateur on them, without stripping factory finish? and what about Saphir Renomat?
2.Same questions but for TLB's Museum Calf.(though my 2 pairs are both Vegano, but interested in Museum Calf to be my next purchase)

Thanks in advance and I'll post pics of my TLBs when I receive them : )
I have used both of those products on TLB Vegano and Museum calf. I experienced no problems. Of course, if you rub har with a lot for a long time with reno mat then the finish will start to come off, but you have to really try yo make that happen.

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
tlb-artista-reverse-stitch-toe-derby-vegano-dark-brown-gmto.jpg

Oh my lord I cannot wait to get my hands on these ...

Mirror_Mau

Reaction score
Hi @Mirror_Mau. Saphir Renovateur should be fine for both the vegano and museum calf leathers. For a more authoritative source than me, refer to the the “shoe care” instructions on @Skolyx’s website here:

With the Renovateur, the key is to use it sparingly. And you should also test it on a less visible part of the shoe, perhaps further down the tongue, before applying to the whole shoe.

As for Renomat, I personally stay away from it. If it’s not used with due care, it’s easy to strip the factory finish. I use Boot Black’s High Shine Cleaner or Two Face Plus Lotion instead. Sometimes, I’ll use saddle soap also.

What shoes did you end up getting?
thank you very much. I got a loafer and a punched cap toe oxford, both from Artista line in Goya last and Vegano dark brown:cheers:

arturobelano

Reaction score
Does anyone else have the impression that the shoe trees that come with the shoes are slightly small?
(Say, if you order a pair of Artista in the Picasso last size 9, and add shoe trees in size 9 as well, the latter do not extend all over the shoe, and hence do not seem to exert sufficient tension). This may be a problem specific to my pair, though - just wondering.

John8867

Reaction score
Does anyone else have the impression that the shoe trees that come with the shoes are slightly small?
(Say, if you order a pair of Artista in the Picasso last size 9, and add shoe trees in size 9 as well, the latter do not extend all over the shoe, and hence do not seem to exert sufficient tension). This may be a problem specific to my pair, though - just wondering.
I've had shoe trees from TLB and they have always been the perfect size and fit.

maczach

Reaction score
Same here, trees seem not to fit very well even though I ordered correct size... heel is particularly bad

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had no problems. Are you aware that there are separate shoe trees for the main line, the Goya, and the Picasso lasts?

vriche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree with you 100%. I noticed that with my pair as well.

nevaeh

Reaction score
Agree with you 100%. I noticed that with my pair as well.

I know this isn’t what you asked about, and I can’t speak to TLB’s shoe trees in particular, as I don’t have any of theirs. But, as a general matter, I have always been disappointed with company or “lasted” trees. They are expensive and I have never seen too much of a benefit from “lasted” trees when compared with generic ones. For instance, I have a pair of quite expensive C&J trees, in the right size, that have been loose in a pair shoes on the 348 last from the outset. Now I simply use Woodlore combination trees—purchased during sales—and have been entirely satisfied.

With that said, however, my TLB shoes are absolutely wonderful.

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know this isn’t what you asked about, and I can’t speak to TLB’s shoe trees in particular, as I don’t have any of theirs. But, as a general matter, I have always been disappointed with company or “lasted” trees. They are expensive and I have never seen too much of a benefit from “lasted” trees when compared with generic ones. For instance, I have a pair of quite expensive C&J trees, in the right size, that have been loose in a pair shoes on the 348 last from the outset. Now I simply use Woodlore combination trees—purchased during sales—and have been entirely satisfied.

With that said, however, my TLB shoes are absolutely wonderful.
I can second that. Basic woodlore shoe trees fill out the toe box of TLB pretty well. The only place that they are lacking is the instep, which I do not mind.

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
TLB Artista, Janus calf on slim rubber sole after 10 months.

A very dependable pair in sub-tropical rain.

257CF15C-60E8-47F4-9D63-4EDC3DE7ABCE.jpeg

Dizzy8108

Reaction score
Just received my custom boots. They came out really beautifully. Color is a little different than I expected, a little more burgundy than the dark brown I ordered but I actually really like the color.

I am having a problem with the fit though. Not around my feet but around my ankles. Not sure if anything can be done about this issue. I emailed them but I know it is late over there so I probably won’t get a response until tomorrow.

5B059BD6-C118-47CE-806E-1C0856A8D707.jpeg

3FAD3EB8-2CC7-43C6-9A73-87B350E62052.jpeg

3FDDA634-45C7-4B9A-9492-44E71D1B628F.jpeg

7347075A-B283-4D9A-A940-813C0FEB48F8.jpeg

Attachments

• B1E0BDC9-862B-42E7-B7A0-BAF95BCA9B94.jpeg
    B1E0BDC9-862B-42E7-B7A0-BAF95BCA9B94.jpeg
    386.2 KB · Views: 253
  • 9F64C09A-22C8-484F-874C-5F49D7B62E67.jpeg
    9F64C09A-22C8-484F-874C-5F49D7B62E67.jpeg
    250.4 KB · Views: 316

DrewMill

Reaction score
I'd love to get a little advice on TLB Mallorca's width sizing. Meermins in E are typically too snug for me except for the RUI (EE) last. Cheaneys in F width are a great fit. How does TLB compare to these two? Thanks in advance!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads