• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Made in Spain Footwear, including TLB Mallorca, Cobbler Union, Yanko, Norman Vilalta, etc

lowland4me

Reaction score
When I tried to do mine yesterday with cream and polish I had a spot I didn't like and neutral cream and polish seemed to take most of it right off. On other shoes that were so far gone I didn't care if I screwed them up more I've used renomat from Saphir or deglazer from Angelus in extreme circumstances.

it’s fairly safe to say that this process sounds like a plan if need be. I would want to apply a darker burnish on the toe. Perhaps a dark brown? On burgundy?

nevaeh

Reaction score
When you remove the potential screw up, do you go to acetone?

Usually not; normally, I use Boot Black's Two Face Plus Leather Lotion. It's less harsh than acetone or Renomat and removes polish and cream. Two Face does require more elbow grease than acetone, but it's more foolproof (and a fool like me needs proof). Acetone will certainly remove polish, but, if it's not used with care, it might remove the base finish as well.

it’s fairly safe to say that this process sounds like a plan if need be. I would want to apply a darker burnish on the toe. Perhaps a dark brown? On burgundy?

What color are your shoes?

Last edited:

nevaeh

Reaction score
When I tried to do mine yesterday with cream and polish I had a spot I didn't like and neutral cream and polish seemed to take most of it right off. On other shoes that were so far gone I didn't care if I screwed them up more I've used renomat from Saphir or deglazer from Angelus in extreme circumstances.

Also a great way to remove light layers of cream and polish! There's a video of Olga Berluti's shine process, and she uses neutral polish to "clean" the shoes.

lowland4me

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. I just plugged her name into YouTube. There’s a few, do you recall which video it was?

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the maker for TLB Artista's standard leather outsole? It's not JR or Baker, but seems quite hard-wearing nonetheless.

Don’t remember the name, but it’s an Italian tannery. It’s really good Super Prime soles (so good examples of the highest grade below Oak bark tanned, it varies also within Super Prime graded soles), vegetable tanned for three-four months in drums with chestnut bark as main ingredients. As I’ve written before, I place them sort of between oak bark tanned soles like ones from JR or Baker, and your “regular” leather soles.

nevaeh

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. I just plugged her name into YouTube. There’s a few, do you recall which video it was?

This is the one with Olga Berluti, in French:

Kirby Allison also has a video in English with the process recreated, in an almost word-for-word manner to Berluti‘s:

lowland4me

Reaction score
nevaeh, I appreciate it. I’m going to check Kirby’s video out. If I had actually paid more attention to actually learning the French language in high school, all soooo many years ago, instead of lusting after my French “bombshell” of a teacher, I might have actually retained something! The only words I remember, and fondly so are “oui” (yes”) and “‘l’amour” (love, lust, passion, etc.) in a sentence, that would look like “I would actually learn English, were it not for how much I oui’d watching my teacher’s speaking to us in that breathy French of her’s, and were I not I’amour her bombshell body! Lol! Oh, the memories! Thanks again.

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. When we developed the Artista lasts we first did soft chiseled Picasso, then from that went on to make a classic round. First attempt was a bit too almond toe shaped for what we were after, so we went on to develop rounder Goya but the almond toe last looked great as well and was kept under the name Dali (you can read more here).

Velazquez is a brand new last developed after a wish from the South Korea agent, it is a soft square last with a bit wider toe and less chiseling than Picasso, looks a bit like Edward Green's 888 last. Will be available from TLB and if other retailers bring it in as well soon.

As with all TLB Artista lasts, the base lasts are exactly the same only the toe shape that differs, so the fit between Picasso, Goya, Dali and Velazquez are all the same.
How would you compare the toe shape of the Alan Picasso and Velazquez? I have the first two and am interested in the last one.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How would you compare the toe shape of the Alan Picasso and Velazquez? I have the first two and am interested in the last one.

Copy in what I wrote about it before:

"Velazquez is a brand new last developed after a wish from the South Korea agent, it is a soft square last with a bit wider toe and less chiseling than Picasso, looks a bit like Edward Green's 888 last. Will be available from TLB and if other retailers bring it in as well soon.

As with all TLB Artista lasts, the base lasts are exactly the same only the toe shape that differs, so the fit between Picasso, Goya, Dali and Velazquez are all the same."

Compared to Alan, just looking at the toe, Alan has a higher toe box with that "Majorcan ridge", which none of the current Artista lasts has.

nevaeh

Reaction score
Are TLB Mallorca's heels stacked using real leather or are they leather board? I am particularly interested in knowing about the Artista range.

emiratiAL

Reaction score
I'm interested in TLB's Goya or Picasso last.

How does that compare to Carmina's Rain last, which I wear a size UK9?

Kudu08

Reaction score
Does anybody have both Carmina rain and TLB Picaso. Is Picasso as pointy as Rain .From pictures they look similar.

Mirror_Mau

Reaction score
Hi gents, my first two pairs of TLBs will be deliverd soon, so I'd like to ask something about the shoe care as I would always shine my new shoes before wearing:

1.As for Vegano leather, is it safe to use Saphir Renovateur on them, without stripping factory finish? and what about Saphir Renomat?
2.Same questions but for TLB's Museum Calf.(though my 2 pairs are both Vegano, but interested in Museum Calf to be my next purchase)

Thanks in advance and I'll post pics of my TLBs when I receive them : )

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads