• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Made in Spain Footwear, including TLB Mallorca, Cobbler Union, Yanko, Norman Vilalta, etc

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Proleet Well, I just figured that would be the case, since it is one of the selling points. Wouldn't you expect the leather to be better than their TLB main line? Carmina's leather is nothing special compared to the higher end of the mid range spectrum.

@j ingevaldsson Any thoughts on this? I know you are biased, but still good to get some insight.

The Artista leather is spec slightly above main line TLB. Don’t know Carmina’s exact spec, the pairs I’ve had from them have been having good quality leather as well though, a bit depending on tannery. But it’s not the upper leather (even though also this is excellent for the price IMO) that really sets Artista apart from say Carmina, it’s the construction which is on a totally different level and material choices with for example leather heel stiffener.
It’s 1st grade Annonay hides, but of course for example Edward Green or Gaziano & Girling in general cut less pairs from the same hides.

ever had to return? I’m loath to try new sizing...

Send me a DM and I help you out ?

Last edited:

nevaeh

Reaction score
ever had to return? I’m loath to try new sizing...

I hear you on not having to return. Fortunately, I haven't had to return anything with Skolyx yet. I worked closely with Emil online to get my proper sizing (measurements, etc.), and his guidance was spot on. If you're interested, I can DM you his email address--and I would suggest asking him about sizing and returns.

Last edited:

vriche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Posting this video review of TLB Mallorca from the Artista line from our very own @vriche . Haven't been able handle any TLB shoes myself and there aren't that much info on TLB except in this thread and Jesper's blog. On the spec sheet, the Artista line do seem to be better than the competition, but I find it curious that almost no one feels the leather is better than Carmina being that the leather is first grade leather. I do also know that it can be hard to really evaluate the leather quality without going a couple a miles in the shoes though and that it's hard to compare since there are so many different types of leather.

Thanks for posting, fam!

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some visual observations I've noticed according to those pics. Granted I have not handled either brands in person nor do I know how many pairs each brand cut from the same hide. And isn't John Lobb catered more toward the older conservative business crowd? Their lasts leave something to be desired to me personally.

Anyway, it appears JL does not use fudging which is a shame. And the heel height is more flattering on the TLB pair which seems to make the toe spring sit more flush with the ground.

LThomsen

Reaction score
Looks great. Can you let us all know how these shoes wear as time goes by?
I would be interested to hear how the leather uppers wear over time compared to Vass, enzo bonafe, etc

vriche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks great. Can you let us all know how these shoes wear as time goes by?
I would be interested to hear how the leather uppers wear over time compared to Vass, enzo bonafe, etc
Thank you and I most definitely will!

shoesforever

Reaction score
So I got the chance to handle and take some pictures of a pair of faux brogues from the TLB Artista Line with my phone.

Attachments

• 20200224_203139.jpg
    20200224_203139.jpg
    302.6 KB · Views: 200
  • 20200224_202507.jpg
    20200224_202507.jpg
    297.2 KB · Views: 184
  • 20200224_202302.jpg
    20200224_202302.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 190
  • 20200224_201928.jpg
    20200224_201928.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 215
  • 20200224_200340.jpg
    20200224_200340.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 229
  • 20200224_195724.jpg
    20200224_195724.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 216
  • 20200224_194510.jpg
    20200224_194510.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 270
  • 20200224_203714.jpg
    20200224_203714.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 277

arturobelano

Reaction score
I'm obviously biased, but if you just look at plain facts on construction (leaving out material since it's more complicated to compare, while think Weissenmenswear summarises it well above), comparing Carmina, TLB main line and TLB Artista, it would look something like this:

Heel stiffener material:
Carmina - Plastic
TLB - Leather board
TLB Artista - Real leather

Waist:
Carmina - Relatively narrow, slightly bevelled
TLB - Relatively narrow, slightly bevelled
TLB Artista - Very narrow, bevelled

Waist edges:
Carmina - Rounded inside, square outside, rubber soles not rounded
TLB - Rounded inside and outside, rubber soles rounded inside and outside
TLB Artista - Rounded inside and outside, rubber soles rounded inside and outside

Sanding sole and heel edges:
Carmina - Normal moderate, by machine
TLB - Normal moderate, by machine
TLB Artista - Fine, by machine and finished by hand

Heel cut towards upper:
Carmina - Normal
TLB - Normal
TLB Artista - Tight

Sole stitching:
Carmina - 6 spi (stitches per inch)
TLB - 6 spi
TLB Artista - 8 spi (6 spi for rubber)

RRP price (incl. VAT):
Carmina - €395
TLB - €365
TLB Artista - €425

Hi, I was wondering if by any chance you could compare TLB Mallorca with Cobbler Union?
Something like you did with Carmina would be amazing, but even if it's not as detailed, it would be great to see how you think the two brands compare to each other.
Thanks in advance!

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would put Cobbler Union below both Carmina, TLB standard range and TLB Artista, the upper leather quality is a bit behind and they are overall a bit less refined. Looking at the spec, see below:

Heel stiffener material:
Cobbler Union - Plastic
TLB - Leather board
TLB Artista - Real leather

Waist:
Cobbler Union - Narrow, bevelled, only cemented (so no stitching at the waist)
TLB - Relatively narrow, slightly bevelled, stitched all the way back to the heel
TLB Artista - Very narrow, bevelled, stitched all the way back to the heel

Waist edges:
Cobbler Union - Rounded inside and outside, rubber soles not rounded
TLB - Rounded inside and outside, rubber soles rounded inside and outside
TLB Artista - Rounded inside and outside, rubber soles rounded inside and outside

Sanding sole and heel edges:
Cobbler Union - Normal moderate, by machine
TLB - Normal moderate, by machine
TLB Artista - Fine, by machine and finished by hand

Heel cut towards upper:
Cobbler Union - Normal
TLB - Normal
TLB Artista - Tight

Sole stitching:
Cobbler Union - 6 spi (stitches per inch)
TLB - 6 spi
TLB Artista - 8 spi (6 spi for rubber)

RRP price (incl. VAT):
Cobbler Union - €360
TLB - €365
TLB Artista - €425

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics