• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Made in Spain Footwear, including TLB Mallorca, Cobbler Union, Yanko, Norman Vilalta, etc

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have two pairs of Artista collection shoes that do not fit me that I am willing to sell. Both size UK 10 E. Let Me know if you are interested

LThomsen

Reaction score
Does any one know if tlb uses bespoke grade leather for their uppers in their artista range?

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does any one know if tlb uses bespoke grade leather for their uppers in their artista range?

Wouldn’t say there’s any such thing as “bespoke grade leather”, however, TLB only use 1st grade hides for Artista range (leathers are graded from 1 to 3 by most tanneries in Europe).

LThomsen

Reaction score
Thanks very helpful. Where could I learn more about tanneries and how leather is graded?

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score

I think we also have to be realistic here. Given that even the least expensive bespoke is around 5-6x more than the price of a pair of Artista, the bespoke maker has more cost margin to select only the best part of a hide. See Jesper’s page for more price info and bespoke experiences: https://shoegazing.com/2017/08/20/buyers-guide-bespoke-prices/

And, honestly, what is good enough is good enough. Bespoke is out of desire not need (very few have feet that would not fit any RTW/ MTO last from any brand in any width), and is characterised by customised fit (last), design (pattern) and often superior construction (handwelted in many); as such, there is no need for a pair of RTW/ GMTO/ MTO TLB Artista to be “as good as bespoke” to be good...

To say “my TLB Artista is better than your Carmina” can be a reasoned judgement. To honestly believe “my TLB Artista special Adelaide is as good as your bespoke Fukuda” can be slightly delusional.

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
However, they are not shell cordovan

They are working on offering shell now. I was able to special order it already. If you contact them you can probably get it. The price for custom order shell cordovan boots (Orson with burgundy shell storm welt and Incas sole) was 795 Euro .

LThomsen

Reaction score
Will they be offering shell shoes? Any ideas of price and colors offered?
The idea of a pair of shell Oxfords with Jr soles sounds of interest.

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Will they be offering shell shoes? Any ideas of price and colors offered?
The idea of a pair of shell Oxfords with Jr soles sounds of interest.
I don't see why not. Contact them. They are very helpful.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TLB has offered shell since the start, availability vary a bit (why it’s not part of the GMTO guides at the moment, but just ask and you can know what’s available), work with a couple of different tanneries in Italy. At Skolyx we did this GMTO last fall, Comipel shell with JR sole, priced at just over €700, very nice!

zanci

Reaction score
How does this shell compare to horween? Better?

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not even close. Comipel is arguably the lowest grade shell cordovan.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not better, but not inferior either, it’s different. Some prefer Horween’s, which is more glossy and oily (depending on brand and finishing though, Horween’s can come out quite differently between brands as well), while some prefer Comipel, which is more velvety and smooth, looks less like patent leather.

Not even close. Comipel is arguably the lowest grade shell cordovan.

As I write above, many would not at all agree with that, and many prefer Comipel.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads